Short game book Phil Mickelson or Dave Pelz?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Interesting choice! Pelz actually coached PM using the Pelz method, but PM took short game to another level.

I used the Pelz method fairly successfuly (though 7.30 swing was not a skill I mastered!). Pelz can be a tough read and a lot of pages for something that really only needs a chapter or two. PM probably covers that pretty well and adds quite a bit extra, so I'd suggest PM's one.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I've read the Pelz book. Very technical as you'd expect from a man with his NASA background. Some real nuggets in there and I took his clock face technique away, worked on it and really worked hard on hitting these marks and recording the yardages per wedge. What I did find over time though was the method took away whatever (if any) natural feel I had especially on the shorter shots. It's a good system for some.

As for the PM method (assuming it's the hinge and hold) again something I've dabbled with but binned quickly. Again the information is solid and for some it works. Why not buy both and see what works.

AdamW

Visit site
Why not download Phil's secrets of the short game.

I think it may be on youtube.

Well worth a watch. Covers everything.

Yea i have watched that, just wondering if the book gives any extra info or it is all covered in the YouTube video?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Have a look at Stan Utley's book too.
(Just to further complicate your choice!)
That was the one I was trying to remember that was 'different' to Pelz's! An (earlier?) alternative for those who didn't get on with Pelz's method/writing. There was also a guy on GolfWRX who was an advocate of Utley's or similar method. They key, of course, is that whichever method is adopted, it's practice (and lots of it) that develops the 'feel' that is the key. I knew a (Kiwi) Tour Pro quite well who would be on our practice green before and after my (solo) round at my old club (he lived in the apartments beside the course) practicing his 'feel' shots.

DCB

Visit site
Having had the Peltz books on my bookshelf for a number of years they are certainly worth a read. If you can cope with the technical stuff, they are good reads.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
There's a lot in the Pelz book that is worth reading, in terms of the dead arm swing, ball positions etc. And from what I remember, it's pretty readable, for something that goes into a lot of detail on multiple variants of the similar shots.

It would be very time consuming if you were going to go through everything in terms of the clock face approach and you would need to have a decent 120 yard practice area with a measuring device, or spend a few quid at a range with trackman or similar.

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
eBay item number: 313102945380

Not just a simple and interesting instructional book, but some nice narrative and insight from the great man.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Another good series that is always suggested in these threads but well worth checking out if you haven't seen them before.

Covers pretty much all you will need for short game.

I find books all well and good but nothing beats taking an idea to the practice ground and working through things. Exaggerate the thing you are doing, wind it back a bit. See what that does. Try it in different ground conditions and lies. Learn and build a skill set for the challenges the game throws and you.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
The Dave pelz books don’t half drivel on about a lot of nothing in my opinion. The books have a few points that could but covered in 10% of the text

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Id go for :

Pelz for the first 100 pages for the insight into, and importance of the shortgame. I wouldnt rate the rest for the average golfer. Less technique oriented, too mechanical, and I dont think the multi wedge, clock face, know all your yardages, process can be used without pro level time dedication.

Phil is a very good general read for the average golfer, simple, and I think offers good improvement propects and a good range of shots with simple technique ideas.

Utley. Didnt press me. Maybe an alternative to Phils book that might suit some, but Phils was the clear winner of the two for me.

D

Deleted member 1418

Neither. Go on YouTube and search for short game tips from Seve - he's by some distance the best I've seen.........although playing greenside bunker shots with a 3 iron is way beyond me!!! ?

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Doesn’t have to be comparable to be more of use though.
No I was giving the OP information that it wasn't really comparable, when he was asking about two books t about the short game.
A dictionary may be more useful but doesn't tell you much about the short game.