London Golf Show & Dave Pelz

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
Seeing as I had free entry, and considering that the organisers wanted me to exhibit there, (though I didn't), I'd thought that I'd take a look and see if it was any different to the NEC Golf Show from late last year.

I won't comment on the show itself, but I did have a great chat with Dave Pelz.

I bought his latest book, which he duly signed, and I stuck around to watch and listen to his half hour seminar on putting.

What he said is not rocket science (despite his credentials), but pure common sense.

"Practic makes permanent" was one of the catch phrases he uses. Consequently he then went onto speak about practice, and that without the use of "feedback devices" (training aids to you and I) as he calls them, that putting practice is meaningless without them.

To quote the great man himself during my chat with him after the seminar.

"Practicing putting without using feedback devices, is like practicing driving into a net. Ie. You have no feedback. Without using feedback devices how do you expect to know what it is that you're doing right or wrong"

When asked what three key points that anyone could take-away from the seminar are, he replied;

"The back of the foremost hand is the putter face. Where that goes, the ball goes. Use feedback devices to train yourself a better putting action and to improve your putting. And thirdly make sure that your shoulders are square."

He also stated that unless you were prepared to give 10 minutes for four times a week to good putting practice, following the advice above. You will never be a good putter, and consequently you should accept that, and just enjoy the game and not get frustrated at missed putts. Sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you don't!

He also said that it doesn't matter if you don't practice on a green. Carpet or putting mats are just as good, as you're ingraining a solid putting action. The mechanics of the stroke.

His definition of insanity, and some would have heard this before at sales conferences. "Is continuing to do the same thing and expecting to get different results."

It was great to meet up with a legend in the game, and have time to have a personal chat regarding 'feedback devices', and the importace that he places on them.

Okay. I make no apologies about the link between what Dave Pelz was saying and my business. But regardless of that, is was good just to have the chance to chat.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Nothing wrong with pushing the business as you provide the tools you describe (Pathfinder comes highly recommnded) and always great to meet someone prepared to take a little timeout to chat to golfers about his theories

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think it's great you got to meet Dave Peltz.

If feedback devices means putting training aids does that mean it's not possible to improve your putting without using training aids?

I use putting training aids (I have a mat and a yes! golf true plane) and am generally VERY in favour of training aids (particularly putting), but it does seem a big leap to suggest that putting without gadgets is the same as hitting balls into a net.

Like I said, it must have been a great experience, but I sense some over-egging of the pudding.

I had a look at his latest device (Phil Mickelson endorsed) and can't see anything in it that would refine the stroke, just the accuracy of the face at impact.

Better off with a good grip and a "friendly" green that has some nice straight ones and a few bananas too!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have the Pathfinder which grooves a nice stroke (avoiding the pins) and gets the club face square at impact and through the stroke (although you can set the pins for an in, square, in stroke). Nothing overly fancy in the device but repetition is the key.

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
Dave.

Yes. I can see undestand your cynasism. After all, the Pelz Academy does sell putting aids. He uses 20 or so at his acadimies as well. But doen't that say something in itself?

His analygy with the driving and nets, was that if you just bash balls into a net, you're not 'seeing' the end result of the shot. Therefore alignment aids etc should also be used when using nets. I could see his point. And who I am to question him? Especially given the environment that we were in.

I would have loved to have had more time with him though.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Dave.

Yes. I can see undestand your cynicism.

I'm glad. I didn't want to appear too harsh. I'm pro him, I'm pro training aids, hell, I'm pro almost anything that encourages good learning....