Short break booked in early August - Portpatrick or Stranraer?

Diamond

Visit site
As the title suggests playing Silloth and staying around Annan area and looking at Portpatrick or Stranraer. Just wanted to know the pros and cons for both.
Thanks

D

Deleted member 1740

Played both of them, thoroughly enjoyed them both, you'll get good value for money and if the weather is right theres no cons.

The drive up the coast to stranraer is a cracker too.

I'd play Southerness before both of them though.

Consider Powfoot too. Anither one of my favourites

We turned up at Portpatrick a few years ago, thick grey clouds, wind blowin a hoolie, flag sticks where like a javelin in the ground on a 35* angle and 4 old boys were just going.

From the comfort of the clubhouse we were discussing not bothering goin out. The barmen said " dont worry give it 15mins it'll be clear" we responded "aye right".

Literally 15mins later it was like a light switch had been flicked. Boom clear blue skies. Great day.

Last edited by a moderator:

DCB

Visit site
It's a long way from Anan to Stranraer and it takes a fair time on the A75. Whilst both Stranraer and Portpatrick are lovely courses and well worth playing, I'd avoid the stress of the A75 and pick something nearer as per other posts.

Diamond

Visit site
Played both of them, thoroughly enjoyed them both, you'll get good value for money and if the weather is right theres no cons.

The drive up the coast to stranraer is a cracker too.

I'd play Southerness before both of them though.

Consider Powfoot too. Anither one of my favourites

We turned up at Portpatrick a few years ago, thick grey clouds, wind blowin a hoolie, flag sticks where like a javelin in the ground on a 35* angle and 4 old boys were just going.

From the comfort of the clubhouse we were discussing not bothering goin out. The barmen said " dont worry give it 15mins it'll be clear" we responded "aye right".

Literally 15mins later it was like a light switch had been flicked. Boom clear blue skies. Great day.

Will look at Southerness and and Powfoot thanks.

Diamond

Visit site
It's a long way from Anan to Stranraer and it takes a fair time on the A75. Whilst both Stranraer and Portpatrick are lovely courses and well worth playing, I'd avoid the stress of the A75 and pick something nearer as per other posts.

Someone I work with advised Kirkcudbright as a place to anchor for a day or 2. Its not far from Sotherness but if we play Sotherness maybe a little out of our way.