Shoes - can I really be that unlucky?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I don't think most shoe manufacturers make shoes to the standards they did even five years ago. Even my top end Icons do let water in but that could be coming from the eyelets for the laces or even over the top if looking in longer rough. I stick waterproof socks on at this time of year and have no issues

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Thing is, i bet most pros wear their shoes for a few weeks, max. Most shoes are fine for a few weeks, and then leak like a good un. It is poor, but they are all the same. Shoddy industry, just is.

Back in the day i used to get 5 plus years out of a pair of footjoys or my favourite, dexters.

jpxpro

Assistant Pro
Visit site
new shoes each year for me last 3 or 4 years,

im currently testing a new pair of footjoys, so far been very impressed with them ;)

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I'm in the same camp, over the past few years, very hard to find a pair of waterproof shoes. Agree that feet sweat, but can tell the difference between a couple of sweat spots on the socks, and a sopping wet foot after the water has gotten in. Last year bought two pairs of Adidas tour 360 Boa, these have been pretty good, but I also got given a pair of sealskinz, which I wear through wet days and the winter, over another sock.

The best pair of shoes with regards to waterproofing that I have worn over the past 4 years, were Footjoy Dryjoy Casuals, the precursor to the Pro SL. I wore them through two seasons, summer and winter (except for icy days), they did not leak at all, good grip in the wet too. Will buy again, but only when the price drops a bit.

El Diablo

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Pro at my club told me that I am not the typical golfer shoes are designed for and that is why they leak within a year - I apparently play too often....

El Diablo

Assistant Pro
Visit site
His suggestion was once or twice a week is the norm - still sent them back and got an exchange but he was not that happy.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I've had good performance over the years from Dryjoys... they get plenty of dubbing and waterproof spray too.

Bought a pair of DNA last winter and on a damp dewy morning my feet got soaked, so back they went...

I also think this the standard of manufacturing has gone down hugely in the past ten years....

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Pro at my club told me that I am not the typical golfer shoes are designed for and that is why they leak within a year - I apparently play too often....

His suggestion was once or twice a week is the norm - still sent them back and got an exchange but he was not that happy.

Tough bickie!

If the warranty states 1 year (without exclusion), then that's the warranty!

It's no skin off his nose to send them back for replacement after less than that!

Unless you mis-treat them of course!

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
I've had good performance over the years from Dryjoys... they get plenty of dubbing and waterproof spray too.

Bought a pair of DNA last winter and on a damp dewy morning my feet got soaked, so back they went...

I also think this the standard of manufacturing has gone down hugely in the past ten years....

I wonder if that coincided with production moving to China? :rolleyes:

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I would agree that the standard of golf shoes has dropped considerably over the last few years. I am finding that they really don't stay that water resistant very long. If you get a year out of them I think you're doing well. I'm not saying it's right but just seems to be the way. I was chatting to a friend who bought a pair of Footjoy Hyperflex which didn't last long and went back. My Puma's started leaking within the year. The jury is still out on my Footjoy DNA's and Adidas Powerband boost.
I bought a (once) used pair of Footjoy Dryjoys off ebay last year and they were superb during the winter, never letting a drop through. Mind you, I think they were a year or two old when I got them although looked as new.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Robster, what warranty do your Puma's have? Mine are two years but leak water on a wet day already, after 1 year. Not heavily but enough. Fine if just damp but if properly wet they leak. Having returned my previous 4 pairs of shoes under warranty, 2 x Footjoy, 2 x Stubburts, I have given up returning shoes. As long as they are comfy and relatively water resistant I will take that.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Robster, what warranty do your Puma's have? Mine are two years but leak water on a wet day already, after 1 year. Not heavily but enough. Fine if just damp but if properly wet they leak. Having returned my previous 4 pairs of shoes under warranty, 2 x Footjoy, 2 x Stubburts, I have given up returning shoes. As long as they are comfy and relatively water resistant I will take that.
I think on that pair it was 12 months. To be honest, I wouldn't have another pair for a number of reasons.
  • They're a bit too narrow for me
  • The original Puma spikes are incredibly fragile. I had to replace at least one Puma spike every time I played. I replaced them with Masters which were fine.
  • The heel wore out really quickly and ruined a good pair of golf socks
  • Leaked to quickly.
I bought them from Golf Depot, didn't have the receipt and they're not renowned for Customer Service so I didn't bother returning them. Just straight into the bin.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
ECCO Cool.....
Waterproof..!!
Supremely comfortable...on my left foot..
They're ripping my right heel to shreds..
I can't win......

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
First pair of golf shoes I ever had, about 15 years ago, were Footjoys of some sort, and they were absolutely water tight. They never leaked. After a few years they simply wore out and fell to pieces.

Since then, every pair I've had has leaked: various Footjoys (including AQLs, Softjoys, Greenjoys, even their winter boots), Ecco Hydramax, and now some Callaways - they all leak. Even tried a pair of cheap Dunlops that claimed to be waterproof, thinking that perhaps if they were synthetic they might actually be OK - but no, they also leaked.

So my conclusion from all this: golf shoes ain't what they used to be, and THEY ALL LEAK - despite now costing way more than they used to. I now use Sealskinz - which certainly do work, and (after seeing them recommended here) have order a couple of pairs of Dexshells - hoping they are as good as Sealskinz (for half the price).

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Are you people wading? or swimming for balls in the lake? Perhaps have really sweaty feet? Only joking, are you guys going out with normal trousers because when it is wet I pair up my FJ hyperflexes with my waterproof trousers and never get wet socks? If it's just dew I find the only wet bit of clothing are the hems of my trousers.