Shoes - can I really be that unlucky?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I bought a pair of Ecco Base One shoes a couple of months back
I played approximately 5 rounds with them and, in an admittedly heavyish dew, they leaked.
Back to AG, who replaced them without question with the next model up, the Cage Evo.
I wore them a couple of times in the dry and they seemed fine.
This morning they displayed all the qualities of the material they make Tea bags from...again in a dew, nothing more.
So I'm off back to AG tomorrow - I'm sure they'll replace them again but it's another hour's round trip that I don't need.
I have a pair of Footjoys that have failed as well...
Interestingly, Fragger was wearing the same model of Ecco this morning and his failed too.
I'm struggling to believe that a truly waterproof shoe exists.....maybe modern manufacturing methods veer more towards comfort than actual waterproofing...
And before anyone mentions waterproof socks - if I'm spending nigh on 150 quid on "waterproof" shoes, some degree of "waterproofing" should be part of the deal.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Don't get me started on shoes! I had a cheap pair of Adidas from when I started which I purchased from Sports Direct for about £30. Lasted me two seasons of constant use, and they were about 6 years old but barely used for most of it.

I purchased a new pair of Adidas which lasted about 2 seasons, which I though was pretty decent. I then thought i'd spend a bit more and got a pair of the Boost 360's which lasted about 2 rounds before the heel fell apart in the right shoe. Now I have a pair of Nike shoes which the heel is starting to split round the side and they are only a couple of months old. It seems the shoes just are not made to last or withstand the golf swing movements.

But yes, if you spend so much on a shoe which claims it is waterproof then it should be waterproof for a dew. Pretty disappointing to be honest

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
i have the biom g2 goretex ones and so far they have been excellent. I had the standard g2 before and the leaked, but the guy at ecco said they were water resistant not water proof the goretex however it states are water proof.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Ian you should know by now that waterproof shoes do not exist! Save yourself some money by buying a comfortable pair of £70 shoes and the waterproof socks, job done :thup:

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
My ecco gtx goretex seem to be waterproof, and the previous pair lasted quite a few years.

My puma boots leaked like a sieve last time out, so they certainly arent. Used to be, but heck, that was 6 months ago.

My last nikes, lunar control 2 were ok, but got very tatty looking.

My non gtx ecco are dry summer use only.

Sadly, i have given up on footjoy, and dont fancy sketchers (thanks no laying up guys).

I am wondering if the under armour jordan speiths are any good.

Do the pros all have wet feet too?

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
All bar 1 new pair of goretex ones, all of mine are water resistant Ecco hybrid bioms. If I know its going to be wet underfoot or the falling stuff they get a spray with the Ecco proofing spray before each round. Not had any wet feet so far, and thats over 2 years with them.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Ive a couple of pairs of the Gortex Ecco and they are 100% waterproof. all the others as JT says are water resistant, not proof.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
My ecco gtx goretex seem to be waterproof, and the previous pair lasted quite a few years.

My puma boots leaked like a sieve last time out, so they certainly arent. Used to be, but heck, that was 6 months ago.

My last nikes, lunar control 2 were ok, but got very tatty looking.

My non gtx ecco are dry summer use only.

Sadly, i have given up on footjoy, and dont fancy sketchers (thanks no laying up guys).

I am wondering if the under armour jordan speiths are any good.

Do the pros all have wet feet too?

I played with a lad on Sunday who had a pair of Under Armour shoes on. I don't know if they kept the water out but they were stunning. Really handsome shoes, and I never thought I would type that sentence out.

I once returned 2 pairs of Stuburt shoes for leaking and would have done the same with the 3rd but the warranty works from the original pair apparently and I had run out of time. I have not had a truly waterproof pair for about 5 pairs worth now. Bizarre with the advances in technology that exist in the waterproofing game now.

I hate to say it but I am leaning towards D4S comments, nothing personal D4S I mean it about how disappointing shoes are now. Unless they state goretex on the shoe then don't worry about the waterproofing and, sorry, get waterproof socks (which do work)

D

Deleted member 15344

It's impossible to have truly fully waterproof shoes - there is a big hole where you put your foot through for starters. Also a lot Shoes in the current climate "sweat" - you have what feels like moisture on the inside which is a combination of sweat from the feet and socks and also small layers of moisture from the outside through the seems and holes in laces etc - no amount of waterproofing etc will stop that moisture. Hence the best way is to have socks like Sealskinz etc which do well keeping the moisture away from the skin - worth every penny

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
To defend Imurg here. On a dry day I will take my shoes off and there will be some dampness which is clearly sweat. On a wet day, if I wear normal socks, the sensation is far more squelchy and the socks are noticeably wetter. There is a difference between sweaty feet and leaking shoes, unless you have real issues of course :eek:.

Imurg

Visit site
It's impossible to have truly fully waterproof shoes - there is a big hole where you put your foot through for starters. Also a lot Shoes in the current climate "sweat" - you have what feels like moisture on the inside which is a combination of sweat from the feet and socks and also small layers of moisture from the outside through the seems and holes in laces etc - no amount of waterproofing etc will stop that moisture. Hence the best way is to have socks like Sealskinz etc which do well keeping the moisture away from the skin - worth every penny

Which begs the question Why are they allowed to use the term waterproof when it seems most clearly aren't...

A bit sneaky of Ecco to label shoes as water resistant rather than waterproof.

Orikoru - you could almost wrong a tablespoons worth of water from my socks......the shoes leaked....

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
I had a pair of Ecco Biom 2 which split after about 9 months, and am getting a replacement pair of Ecco Cool (without the vile lime green flashing), These are Gortex and as waterproof as you can get.

In the meantime i bought a pair of Ecco Cage Evo to tide me over, These ones failed miserably this morning in a normal dew, no rain, I was wringing my socks out.so AG in Slough replaced them this afternoon with a pair of Ecco Base One, which I now discover are the same one that Imurg found leaky a few weeks ago.

any shoe, especially a premium Golf Shoe should have a modicum of resistance to a morning dew, not leak like a tea bag

D

Deleted member 15344

Which begs the question Why are they allowed to use the term waterproof when it seems most clearly aren't...

A bit sneaky of Ecco to label shoes as water resistant rather than waterproof.

Orikoru - you could almost wrong a tablespoons worth of water from my socks......the shoes leaked....

Because the material they use will be waterproof hence why the can call them waterproof - had it with boots for years hence why I use Sealskinz socks etc

Imurg

Visit site
Because the material they use will be waterproof hence why the can call them waterproof - had it with boots for years hence why I use Sealskinz socks etc

Ecco's Hydramax treatment allegedly means that the shoes can be immersed in water for up to 8 hours without leakage......
8 hours in water but they can't cope with a bit of morning dew.....

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have bought Hi Tech dri tech shoes for years and they have outperformed virtually anything else I have ever bought*. What water does get in is from over the sides.

You can afford to buy 4 pairs of these for the price of just one pair from other well known makers.

*2 Years ago I bought some Crivit simple because they were so cheap 2 years on they still keep out the water and they had become my go to shoes in all weathers but they are white.:)

Lazkir

Head Pro
Visit site
Have had a pair of Footjoy dryjoys for 3 years now. never leaked once.
Due to them getting on a bit I've just bought a pair of Footjoy winter boots (for obvious reasons) will let you know how they get on.

SatchFan

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I've previously had two pairs of Nike TW14s, wore them both for 18 months each and never had a problem. Currently wearing TW17s which I have had for a couple of months and have done well so far. They have a two year waterproof guarantee which I think is quite brave and I will be interested to see how well they fare compared to the older model. Chances are I will have worn them out before they start to leak.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
The Nike TW are not leather though. Neither are the top of the range sketchers. I am not sure about plastic golf shoes. No idea why.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I've been out in some of the recent very heavy rain of late in my Pro SL's and not a single stain of any wetness or dampness has shown itself, and I'm not always walking on the short stuff!

These shoes are the best I've had for both comfort and being waterproof.

Endorsed on my trip at St Mellion by the Woodhall Spa lad (forgot his name) so bought them whilst there.