Shirt and a Tie

When should a minimum of shirt and tie be worn in the golf club restaurant?

• Total voters

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Oh gawd: I feel a rant coming on, as I just knew this would head in the "jeans direction". Why oh why do conversations about dress always end up with people whingeing on about not being able to wear jeans.

Because I think jeans are considered to be about as "low" as you would want to go, unless you were into "Mankini's"????
I think that they are the "yardstick" by which all other standards of dress are compared?
I would just like to reiterate my point.
If a club said "no jeans" (which MOST of them do) that would certainly never (ever) put me off playing there.
The chances are, even if they said "jeans allowed in the clubhouse" I wouldn't wear them anyway.
We were at Gainsborough for the whole week-end (not visiting for the day) and a very relaxing week-end it was too.
It just made a very pleasant change not to have to dress for dinner.
I would never wear jeans to play in. And would refuse absolutely to play with, or against, anybody wearing them. Full stop.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Oh gawd: I feel a rant coming on, as I just knew this would head in the "jeans direction". Why oh why do conversations about dress always end up with people whingeing on about not being able to wear jeans. And who wont go at "other times" becuse they can't wear them.

Does the whole world other than me always wear jeans all the time. Does no-one ever wear casual clothes other than jeans. Are jeans in fact the only casual clothes in the known universe? I may be a fuddy-duddy now, but wasn't always - and I still didn't wear jeans when I wasn't. There is other casual clobber. The next time I hear someone bleat "but I can't wear my jeeeeeans...." I may have to insert a 4 iron somewhere delicate whilst quoting my mantra of "well, buy some other €^^^ing clothes then....." And before you call me a dinosaur, if your casual wardrobe restricts where you can go because it entirely consists of jeans, then you're just as much a one-track dinosaur as me. Only scruffier... Variety is the spice of life old chap.

There! Said it. Feel much better now. Thank you

Next AGM I am going propose that jeans are allowed. But if you do, you must also wear a top hat. So as to maintain the level of entropy!

2 things with your post......

1: this thread isn't about should people be able to wear scruffy jeans in the clubhouse, even though golfers see no problem with wearing scruffy old faded chinos. But if it is jeans you want to discuss then why do upscale restaurants and clubs allow you to wear smart jeans. So I could walk into a £1000 a head Michelin restaurant in jeans, but not allowed to have a £10 Sunday car very unless I am in trousers, shirt, tie and blazer.

2: if you did have anything to do with the modern world you would realise that jeans are now the standard casual wear for most. 50 years ago I bet every private club insisted on collar, tie and blazer in the clubhouse, but that got dropped by most due to a change in trends and fashion a long ago.

Times change, 100 years ago no man would be seen without his 3 piece suit on, a hat,a collar and tie, a pocket watch etc. 50 years ago waistcoats, hats and pocket watches where not the 'norm' anymore. 30 years ago the suit was getting changed for just a shirt and trousers. 20 years ago the trousers got swapped for jeans. 10 years ago the shirt was getting swapped for polo shirts and trainers. Like it or not times change and if you start to alienate people because they choose to dress in the current trends and fashions then people will stop coming.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
2 things with your post......

1: this thread isn't about should people be able to wear scruffy jeans in the clubhouse, even though golfers see no problem with wearing scruffy old faded chinos. But if it is jeans you want to discuss then why do upscale restaurants and clubs allow you to wear smart jeans. So I could walk into a £1000 a head Michelin restaurant in jeans, but not allowed to have a £10 Sunday car very unless I am in trousers, shirt, tie and blazer.

2: if you did have anything to do with the modern world you would realise that jeans are now the standard casual wear for most. 50 years ago I bet every private club insisted on collar, tie and blazer in the clubhouse, but that got dropped by most due to a change in trends and fashion a long ago.

Times change, 100 years ago no man would be seen without his 3 piece suit on, a hat,a collar and tie, a pocket watch etc. 50 years ago waistcoats, hats and pocket watches where not the 'norm' anymore. 30 years ago the suit was getting changed for just a shirt and trousers. 20 years ago the trousers got swapped for jeans. 10 years ago the shirt was getting swapped for polo shirts and trainers. Like it or not times change and if you start to alienate people because they choose to dress in the current trends and fashions then people will stop coming.

A very, very good post.
I would just like to add though mate that THESE have never been in fashion....
271531340171_1.jpg

:mad::mad::D

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
This might be a bit of an extreme post but I am just making a point. So which look would yo prefer to see in the clubhouse?

I'm just making a point that just because you are wearing shirt, trousers and jacket, it does not mean you look smarter than a man in jeans. The thing is I have seen old boys that do not look much better than Compo in the clubhouse.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Who gave you permission to use that picture of me Adey???
I'd just like to mention that St Mellion has a lot of dry stone walls around the course, but in that instance I was not playing from up against one. I was in the middle of the fairway.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Who gave you permission to use that picture of me Adey???
I'd just like to mention that St Mellion has a lot of dry stone walls around the course, but in that instance I was not playing from up against one. I was in the middle of the fairway.

That was from when you nipped off for a piss up against the wall and those good looking horse riders went by, so you thought you would strike a pose and try to look suave.....:p

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
Oh gawd: I feel a rant coming on, as I just knew this would head in the "jeans direction". Why oh why do conversations about dress always end up with people whingeing on about not being able to wear jeans. And who wont go at "other times" becuse they can't wear them.

Does the whole world other than me always wear jeans all the time. Does no-one ever wear casual clothes other than jeans. Are jeans in fact the only casual clothes in the known universe? I may be a fuddy-duddy now, but wasn't always - and I still didn't wear jeans when I wasn't. There is other casual clobber. The next time I hear someone bleat "but I can't wear my jeeeeeans...." I may have to insert a 4 iron somewhere delicate whilst quoting my mantra of "well, buy some other €^^^ing clothes then....." And before you call me a dinosaur, if your casual wardrobe restricts where you can go because it entirely consists of jeans, then you're just as much a one-track dinosaur as me. Only scruffier... Variety is the spice of life old chap.

There! Said it. Feel much better now. Thank you

Next AGM I am going propose that jeans are allowed. But if you do, you must also wear a top hat. So as to maintain the level of entropy!

Mr Mimms does not possess a pair of jeans.

I bought my first pair of jeans in 20 years earlier this year.

I can't think of anything less comfortable to play golf in, but I have no problem if people want to wear them in the bar.

(ps my new jeans are so tight I wouldn't be able to get a tee in the pocket or bend down to pick ball out of hole ! #muttondressedaslamb)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
we don't allow jeans in the club house, no issue with that. If you start letting jeans in its a slippery slope to them being on the course, which i can't abide.

I imagine the folks making the most noise about jeans would be the ones who join a club knowing full well those are the rules then complain about it the whole time.

D

Deleted member 15344

we don't allow jeans in the club house, no issue with that. If you start letting jeans in its a slippery slope to them being on the course, which i can't abide.

I imagine the folks making the most noise about jeans would be the ones who join a club knowing full well those are the rules then complain about it the whole time.

Jeans have been allowed in Woburn for over a decade yet not allowed on the course

Jeans at my current club were allowed 5 years ago - will never be allowed on the course

The person who proposed allowing jeans in our club was a 67 year old guy who has been a member for over 30 years.

Allowing jeans to be worn in the clubhouse allows people to pop in on the way home from work for a drink or a bite to eat - it allows families to pop up and have satruday lunch or sunday carvery.

Not sure why people believe that allowing people to wear jeans in the clubhouse means they will move on to being allowed to wear them on the course ?

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ok I'm 67 yrs young.(good that's out in the open) and yes I wear jeans whenever I want.(sounds like a j.a.meeting). All my gear is designer stuff be it jeans, slacks, polos, shirts etc. Don't own a suit hate them. I voted for a completely relaxed dress code in the club house. Don't want to see it on the course though.
I think some of the problem is that course wear is just normal type clothing. If this was a Sunday league football team. You would change before you went for a drink after. I look at golf clobber the same way. If you see what I'm getting at.