Shane Lowry ruling.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I didn't see this incident I was driving and listening to coverage on 5Live.

On the railway hole Shane hooked a ball into the left gorse and played another ball onto the green.

Apparently he said to the people around something along the lines of "that ball is lost".

Some member of the crowd then found the original ball in a bush. He then had to use the original ball.

Now, here's my question.
If he did not announce that he was playing a provisional, should he have been allowed to, or forced to, continue with the original ball?

The commentary did not say he said he was playing a provisional.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
He must have played the 2nd as a Provisional otherwise he wouldn't have had to go and identify and play/drop the original.
The first would have out of play so it wouldn't matter if it was found or not.
The ref would surely have asked Shane if he declared a provo or not..

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
If he did not announce that he was playing a provisional, should he have been allowed to, or forced to, continue with the original ball?

The commentary did not say he said he was playing a provisional.
If he did not say ''I'll play a provisional'' then the second ball is in play.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
I was watching this on Sky and even John Paramor was not absolutely clear on what needs to be said when playing a provisional. In any case I am sure Shane did properly indicate he was playing a provisional given that he put that to around 10 feet, and that he was unlikely repeat with his 4th shot using the original ball.

Red devil

Visit site
I was watching this on Sky and even John Paramor was not absolutely clear on what needs to be said when playing a provisional. In any case I am sure Shane did properly indicate he was playing a provisional given that he put that to around 10 feet, and that he was unlikely repeat with his 4th shot using the original ball.
I hope John Paramor certainly didn't have anything to say on it unless it was through a spiritual medium.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
On the railway hole Shane hooked a ball into the left gorse and played another ball onto the green.

Apparently he said to the people around something along the lines of "that ball is lost".

Some member of the crowd then found the original ball in a bush. He then had to use the original ball.
If he didn't make it clear that the 2nd ball was a provisional then "That ball (the original) is out of play (in effect lost)"
He was probably just making it clear to everyone.

The player must use the word “provisional” or otherwise clearly indicate that they are playing the ball provisionally under Rule 18.3.
If the player does not announce this (even if they intended to play a provisional ball) and plays a ball from where the previous stroke was made, that ball is the player’s ball in play under penalty of stroke and distance (see Rule 18.1).

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The commentators on R&A tv said that he had definately said provisional. He was hoping no-one would look for the first ball. He shouldn't have said provisional - that was his mistake.
Probably thought that after hitting such a good provisional.
The referee with the game asked him if it was a provo after he hit it and the Sky on course commentator heard him say provisional before hitting it.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
So let me get this straight...
Lowry hit a ball into the gorse.
He said ''I'll play a provisional''.
His first ball was found so he played it.
Yes, but I think he was trying to "declare his ball lost" and avoiding playing the original since his provisional was on the green.