Sex discrimination in golf

D

Deleted member 1147

I take it you mean golf shoes - might be required some places but by no mean necessary
Byron Nelson was famed for only wearing shoes when it was required by rule. Otherwise he preferred to play barefoot.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I don't have a string vest, but regularly play in jeans and a t shirt at several courses that don't have a dress code. I don't even tuck my t shirt in. How is that a problem for anyone else?
If some fuddy duddies turned up to see someone playing golf in jeans, I think they would spontaneously combust.

When we are in world where golf has to compete for kid's attention with an endless supply of entertainment from their phone, dress codes should be at the very bottom of our priorities.

D

Deleted member 1147

If some fuddy duddies turned up to see someone playing golf in jeans, I think they would spontaneously combust.

When we are in world where golf has to compete for kid's attention with an endless supply of entertainment from their phone, dress codes should be at the very bottom of our priorities.
As far as I’m aware, at a fair few clubs I know, kids don’t have to abide by the dress codes as strictly as adults.
They can wear trainers, joggers, tee shirts etc
However, they do tend to dress more smartly than a lot of the older members.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I take it you mean golf shoes - might be required some places but by no mean necessary
They are nessesary at my club .
Given some of the slopes you would end up on your ar.e if you tried to hit some shots.
I have tried to play in trainers on hot days but you need a flat dry course.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
If some fuddy duddies turned up to see someone playing golf in jeans ........
.... then they would think them idiots. I can't think of any trouser material more uncomfortable to wear when walking 5 or 6 miles than denim. And if it gets wet, it stays wet for a long time. Still, if it floats your boat :rolleyes:

Kpa77

Visit site
As a male I have to do certain things to play golf at my club. I have to have my shirt tucked in. I have to have a collar on my shirt. I have to have fitted shorts that cannot be too short or too long. Yet it seems to be a free for all and women can dress as they please. What's that all about?

I'm also banned from playing at a certain time in the middle of the week. And the women refuse to let me through when they are holding me up after their allocated start times. For some reason they have to stay together in a pack hacking the ball 20yards each time they attempt to hit the ball. I am sure if I took 5 or 6 hours to complete a round and didn't let people through as a matter of principle something would be said.

The women also got access to the men's tournaments now. Which I have no problem with at all. But why can't I play in their midweek tournaments from a male tee? As they have no handicap limit surely rather than calling it the women's competition why not name is the high handicapper's comp?

The women have even had a toilet built at the halfway point which the men are now allowed to use! Whilst I can go for a wizz in the bushes if I need a crap am I expected to do that publically simply because I am a man?

I wondered if anyone else's club had this sort of sex discrimination? I'm not going to war to wear 3/4 length trousers and sleeveless tops. But if the women don't have to tuck their shirts in then I fail to see why I should. If your club has had these problems has anyone fixed it? I'm sorely tempted to claim to be a transitioning women so I can get the benefits which are denied to me simply because I was born with a penis.

Yawn you’re pathetic. People should just play golf and enjoy it.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
.... then they would think them idiots. I can't think of any trouser material more uncomfortable to wear when walking 5 or 6 miles than denim. And if it gets wet, it stays wet for a long time. Still, if it floats your boat :rolleyes:
It doesn't 'float my boat'. I really couldn't care less about it, but I'm amazed that anyone does, and several clearly do :ROFLMAO: What I don't like about it, is the impression it gives potential golfers of this game.

Siolag

Visit site

Totally agree with this, can’t imagine what jeans would be like to play golf in. Give me some lightweight golf trousers or shorts any day of the week.

sammyboy

Visit site
You keep going on about how things like not wearing jeans stop people from playing, or looking smart gives a bad impression.

I just don't see that as being true, modern golf clothing is not stuffy or old fashioned.

I broadly agree. But im not sure how i feel about being mandated to wear somerhing for a hobby just because because its functional.

Folk should be allowed to wear whatever they want. Id still chose a golf shirt, and shorts or trousers. As i like playing in that gear. Id still chose to wear shoes with soft spikes as it works for me. I personally like my golf clothing and find it comfortable.

But... dress codes do put people off. My girl would have to go out and buy golf shoes if i wanted to take her as a guest. He trainers are not acceptable. Nor could she wear her leggings... (realise that im losing my argument that ladies dress up however they like). If a women has a good body i see no problem with gym leggings myself - they are perfectly functional and comfortable. I have my suspicions that the rule on leggings is due to larger older ladies not looking so good in them.

Fabia999

Visit site
I broadly agree. But im not sure how i feel about being mandated to wear somerhing for a hobby just because because its functional.

Folk should be allowed to wear whatever they want. Id still chose a golf shirt, and shorts or trousers. As i like playing in that gear. Id still chose to wear shoes with soft spikes as it works for me. I personally like my golf clothing and find it comfortable.

But... dress codes do put people off. My girl would have to go out and buy golf shoes if i wanted to take her as a guest. He trainers are not acceptable. Nor could she wear her leggings... (realise that im losing my argument that ladies dress up however they like). If a women has a good body i see no problem with gym leggings myself - they are perfectly functional and comfortable. I have my suspicions that the rule on leggings is due to larger older ladies not looking so good in them.

*gets popcorn*

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site

If she plays regularly then that may be true, but surely if you're taking her on the course proelry you'll have invested in a lesson or some range time at least.

I've taken both my daughters (9 and 10) to my place and they've worn clean trainers, a plan collared t shirt and jeggings with no complaints whatsoever.

sammyboy

Visit site
If she plays regularly then that may be true, but surely if you're taking her on the course proelry you'll have invested in a lesson or some range time at least.

I've taken both my daughters (9 and 10) to my place and they've worn clean trainers, a plan collared t shirt and jeggings with no complaints whatsoever.

Id really hope that for young kids like yours that would be allowed. But at my club im not sure. The pros im sure would ignore it. But some old duffer i am sure would make a comment and complain.

An adult turning up in leggings or jeggings wouldnt make it onto the first tee. I doubt anyone would actually check the trainers to see if they were golf shoes, but if they looked like trainers its more than possible.

My partner got shouted at for wearing leggings just when walking with me on a nice evening. He did apologise whe i had a word with him.

I dont wear golf clothes or shoes to the range usually. And i didnt have lessons when i started. In fact i sneaked onto golf courses in the evening to learn the game. Which id have no problem with either... id i saw a kid doing this id invite them to join me.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk

Old Proverb: If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging!

sammyboy

Visit site
Wow. I think you need to put the spade down now, nothing good this way lies.

And if a man has a toned muscular physique then i think tight muscle shirts are fine. For a fat our of shape bloke they look horrific.

A fat many in skinny jeans also looks stupud. Im saying this as a fat bloke.

What is the problem with being honest? Obese people and skin tight clothes do not go well together.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
You keep going on about how things like not wearing jeans stop people from playing, or looking smart gives a bad impression.

I just don't see that as being true, modern golf clothing is not stuffy or old fashioned.
Yeah, I think there's a dividing line. Most lads have a polo shirt and chinos knocking about, which is good enough for 90% of golf clubs. The only ones that I would say put young people would be the places where they're telling you what colour socks to wear, tuck your t-shirt in, take your hat off indoors and so on. That all seems very old-fashioned.