Settling over a shot

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Is there a method?

Over the last weekend I found myself on more than one occasion where I was in a position that was either in between clubs on mid iron approaches or (mainly) close to a green (<80yards) and couldn't settle on the type of shot or club to get the ball close to the pin.

When I finally did play the shot I never had any confidence in getting the right outcome.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
you HAVE to make up your mind 100% what you are going to do. last week i had a straight forward approach to the green. 8 iron in hand. in the middle of my backswing i changed my mind and tried to play a punchy approach. a big chunker followed. kicking myself as i had to help two mates find their ball and watch them play their 2nd and 3rd before i hit. all that time to make up my mind and i change in the backswing. crazy! lol

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
You could alway learn your distances. On half, threequarter swings for the irons. That might help? does not alway help me mind you?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Don't get me wrong Gary. I made my mind up about the shot and committed to it but never felt confident over the ball.

As an example on our 18th I was 157 Yards from the green (paced from 150 marker). This is smack bang between my 7 and 6 iron distances. My thought process was:

A) Try and butcher a 7 iron

or

B) Try and take a bit off a 6 iron, but how much?

I went with option B as it seemed more sensible and controlled and got something like I was looking for (Missed green by 3 yards, pin high left) but I never felt confident in the outcome at address.

Another example was about 20 or so yards from the green with the pin cut at the back. I couldn't decide whether to fly it there or run it in along the ground.

Last edited:

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Whatever shot you decide to play, you have to commit to it. If you have doubts while you're swinging then you're not focussed properly on the shot.

It's better to play the wrong shot with confidence than the right shot without it.

The only other thing I'll add is that I never think about 'taking something off' during the swing.
If I need to take 5yds off because I'm between clubs then I'll grip down an inch or 2. If that isn't enough then shorten the backswing slightly. Whichever way you do it you still have to have your usual acceleration through the ball. If you're thinking about not hitting it as hard chances are it's going to be fat or thin.

Truth of the matter is there is more chance of losing 5-10yds through not hitting it pure but the important thing is you must convince yourself you're playing the right shot before you hit it, even if you're not.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I think this is where it's important to take a couple o' three decent practice swings.... feel the shot, then execute.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Between clubs; down an inch, or take the 7 iron and hit it firm without trying to muller it. Taking a bit off often means the hands don't release properly and you end up coming up short right (for a right hander).