Sergio to Ping?

D

Deleted member 1147

Christ, if Sergio was written off everytime he got petulant he would never have made it, and no company would have ever taken him on!

I'd have thought that having one of the best iron players in recent history playing your new blades would be the perfect situation for Ping. They can now officially say "look, we don't just make shovels for hackers and Lee Westwood".

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
His Ryder Cup performance was 2018, and yes it was superb, but he got in via a Captain's pick, he did not qualify. I suspect if he had not been such a child last year my view would be different but if I was Ping and looking long term at the whole package he brings then I would not be signing him.

My last point was not made at you, I get bored of some posts that are utterly indignant that someone can have a different opinion. As long as you can back it up then we can all debate different things. It is how any forum work and we generally have a good deal of fun doing it.

They had worse in Matt Wallace last year.

Wolf

Visit site
Not surprised they picked him up despite his tantrums and often pathetic behaviour he is still the 2nd highest ranked Spaniard in world golf behind Rahm, former Masters champ, RC leading scorer and signing hin in a RC year when he often plays his best golf and brings big exposure makes huge marketing sense.

Plus are his misdemeanors any worse than Matt Wallace, difference being though Sergio is a bigger draw of player for crowds.

sunshine

Visit site
Arguably Sergio is no longer relevant for the younger players, the type of golfer that taylormade targets.

However he is still massively relevant for middle aged fans, who remember him coming through as a youngster and all his Ryder Cup exploits. He is 40 now, and is demonstrating (just about) that life doesn't end at 40. Isn't this ideal for Ping?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Re Ping and Sergio, “any port in a storm” springs to mind. Wouldn’t imagine his deal being a multi million deal.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I was meaning in terms of cleaning up his image. He can bob along and bring in big money, no question, but his profile was badly damaged last year.

Perhaps, but if it was that bad then he wouldn't be getting an equipment deal. Granted it may not have the same easy money as other deals he could have got previously. But he is still a popular player and if he is in contention for a tournament, especially in Europe, then he will have plenty of support.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
who is outraged ?

And when was it decided he is on the decline - Sergio has been written off before he then went and won the Masters , written off again - into the Ryder Cup . He will still challenge for tournaments - he has just turned 40 , still got plenty years left at the top.

I think he won 3 times in tour last year - was top ten many times including at the Dubai Champs at the end of season champs

Yes he had issues with what happened but don’t let that cloud any judgement on him as a golfer

Ping know he is still one of the biggest names in golf and will still be very much in the limelight.
I though he only won once in 2019 at the KLM Open. Certainly according to his website https://www.sergiogarcia.com/en/on-tour/tournament-wins/

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
I felt I should point out at this point that he hasn't actually signed for Ping. He parted ways with Callaway at the end of last year and asked Ping for some clubs to test, but isn't signed to anybody.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
He's only 40, so every chance he could grab quite a few more wins and even another major or 2.
I think ping do their deals slightly differently to other manufacturers or at least they used to.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I felt I should point out at this point that he hasn't actually signed for Ping. He parted ways with Callaway at the end of last year and asked Ping for some clubs to test, but isn't signed to anybody.
Agreed. Wondering if it's a suck it and see thing on both sides. If he likes the Ping clubs he may want to make a commitment and similarly they may look at signing him although I wonder if as others have said they are a little wary given his behavioural issues.

D

Deleted member 1147

Agreed. Wondering if it's a suck it and see thing on both sides. If he likes the Ping clubs he may want to make a commitment and similarly they may look at signing him although I wonder if as others have said they are a little wary given his behavioural issues.

The firm that have paid Tyrrell Hatton, Matt Wallace, Bubba Watson etc to use their equipment!

Why the hell would a hissy fit in a bunker stop them from wanting one of the games best ball strikers using their clubs?