Senior Majors

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
See Miguel Angel Jimenez won a "Senior Major" at the weekend, well done him but come on, what's with these Senior Majors, just older guys playing for big pots of money, I say it's all a load of nonsense, convince me otherwise :rolleyes:

D

Deleted member 15344

Why do we need to convince you ?

The Seniors Tour is a very competitive tour for players that have moved on in age and they have comps where the set up is different than their average Tour Comp and they call these their majors - what’s the issue ?

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
See Miguel Angel Jimenez won a "Senior Major" at the weekend, well done him but come on, what's with these Senior Majors, just older guys playing for big pots of money, I say it's all a load of nonsense, convince me otherwise :rolleyes:

How many senior comps are you playing in this week :rofl:

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site

I see Gary Player was on about these majors last week. He was upset that The Open, The Masters, USPGA and US Open were not included as 'Major wins'. IMO he's talking nonsense.

I think it's a good thing that these guys can still play on a tour though. Especially so for those who have been less successful on the main tours. It gives them a chance to earn some coin.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
They are a bit of fun for older players, a great chance for fans to see them up close still. They can be called Majors within the Seniors Tour, call them what they like, but they hold no credibility in terms of real Majors outside of the Seniors Tour, nor should they.

Jasonr

Club Champion
Visit site

Older guys = Senior
Big pots = Major

Convinced?

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Dont see what the problem is. Why shouldnt the senior tours have majors? I wouldnt put them on a par with the main 4 tourneys as there are no age restrictions with those but the senior majors provide focus for those players over 50.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
There are the 4 "MAJORS"... we all know that.

BUT, ........... folk on here often refer to their Club "Board Comps" as "Majors" Every Tour seems to have its "Majors."

So, the Senior Majors are just that, the "biggest" events of the year on "that Tour."

Would Jimenez swap what he won yesterday for a Claret Jug or a Green Jacket? Too right he would. But, was he chuffed t obits to win yesterday? Of course.

I think folk understand the hierarchy.

D

Deleted member 1147

I agree entirely.

Also, what is it with these Ladies "Majors"? Come on, just Lady golfers playing for big pots of money, I say it's all a load of nonsense, convince me otherwise :rolleyes:

D

Deleted Member 1156

Senior majors were invented so that Monty could win one :D

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I see Gary Player was on about these majors last week. He was upset that these were not included amongst his tally as 'Major wins'. IMO he's talking nonsense.

I think it's a good thing that these guys can still play on a tour though. Especially so for those who have been less successful on the main tours. It gives them a chance to earn some coin.

edited !

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I agree entirely.

Also, what is it with these Ladies "Majors"? Come on, just Lady golfers playing for big pots of money, I say it's all a load of nonsense, convince me otherwise :rolleyes:

What ?

It's bad enough they allow women to play, now you're telling me they play "Majors" as well. When did this happen ? I demand to know.

D

Deleted Member 1156

What ?

It's bad enough they allow women to play, now you're telling me they play "Majors" as well. When did this happen ? I demand to know.

Shocking isn't it? Did you know they are also allowed to drive and vote these days and in some households, they are the major breadwinner!

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Isn’t it like having a seniors section at your club?

Ours have their own comps off the forward tees, interclub thingymabobs, own notice board etc.

I think its it’s a good chance to catch some of the past greats play the game.