Amateur Prizes

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Pairs event I played in last month was 1st £300 each, 2nd, £250 each and 3rd £200 and £70/£50 (each) for 1st and 2nd each course each day.... not a bad return.

It's very tempting for those so inclined. You can also book in with your "mates"... time to have these things drawn

Last edited:

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I've played a quite a few Opens in the last 2 years. None have been drawn. I've either booked online via BRS or booked directly over email. In all cases I have played as part of a group of 4, one exception but that was choice. I am not saying this is right but it is standard in this part of the country (the one in Scotland I played was also book yourself)

Are the ones near to you drawn more often?

Firstly, all singles opens I have been in are played in threes here, and at Goswick.

It seems to be the clubs that have multiple opens in a year that do the online booking thing.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Firstly, all singles opens I have been in are played in threes here, and at Goswick.

It seems to be the clubs that have multiple opens in a year that do the online booking thing.
Ah, okay. I forgot that Scotland also tends to do more singles Opens. Most in the NE are 4BBB or pairs comps. It is natural to go in a 4 for those, although not essential.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Ah, okay. I forgot that Scotland also tends to do more singles Opens. Most in the NE are 4BBB or pairs comps. It is natural to go in a 4 for those, although not essential.

is it? most of the pairs comps ive played in over the years youre drawn with another pair, personally much prefer that approach, must be different in different areas

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
is it? most of the pairs comps ive played in over the years youre drawn with another pair, personally much prefer that approach, must be different in different areas
Very much so. I originally typed, 'in England' but then changed that to NE for this very reason. I have not seen a single drawn comp advertised in the NE for a 4BBB or pairs comp. That is not to say they are not out there but if they are then they are in the minority. I think if you changed it to drawn up here there would be an outcry. It is what you are used to.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
It really is a mistake for clubs to all visitors who are mates to go out together.

Some opens now can be booked online. Easy for 3 cheats to go out together and clean up.

I don't think I'd bother entering if I couldn't play with my mates. We see it as a way to play different courses for lower than the normal green fee. The competition part is largely irrelevant so I wouldn't bother if I was spending the day with strangers.

If high prizes encourage cheating then I agree they should be lowered. I'm never in amongst them so it's no skin off my nose!

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
I don't think I'd bother entering if I couldn't play with my mates. We see it as a way to play different courses for lower than the normal green fee. The competition part is largely irrelevant so I wouldn't bother if I was spending the day with strangers.

If high prizes encourage cheating then I agree they should be lowered. I'm never in amongst them so it's no skin off my nose!

For me this is the perfect situation for everyone. Low prizes discourage (or at least dont reward) cheats. Low prizes means club makes money, new players enjoying the course in a fun format means good chance of return visits or new members. Throw in a couple midweek fourballs for nearest the pins etc and what more could you ask?

D

Deleted member 25172

Personally couldn't care less. Perhaps cause I'm nowhere near the prizes, despite having an established bandit-reputation on the forum due to Sunningdale a few years back.

Have played in 3 opens this year (Princes, Aberdovey & Royal St Davids) and paid a total of £190, which included a night's accommodation with breakfast at Princes and a practice round the day before the comp.

The greenfee's alone would've set me back £525 if playing at the regular rate, so a nice £335 saving there.

Don't think there would be much difference if the prizes on the line was changed to say top 3 to get free entry into next years comp.