Senior Flex

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Three years ago I changed the flex of my driver, woods and hybrids to senior, given my age induced loss of swing speed. This year I did the same with my irons ... and got a bit more distance and less dispersion. I also recently bought a 54 degree Vokey for around the greens and specified senior flex. So far, so good. This just leaves my 58 Vokey K grind that I use only for greenside bunkers, which currently has a wedge flex shaft, which I believe is somewhere between regular and stiff. It works fairly well for me, but not always. My question is, will I gain anything from going to a senior shaft for this ... might the whipper flex might get me out of bunkers more often? I suspect probably not, but my mild OCD doesn’t like having just one club with a different flex shaft. Any thoughts? Cheers.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not really some of my wedges have wedge flex and some have DGR300 in. With greenside and bunker shots I could not tell the difference.

Wedge flex is something that varies manufacturer to manufacturer. When comparing against other shafts I have seen some where it is an S flex 8/9 iron shaft so the tip is a bit more flexible in the first place. Some use S400 for a heavier shaft.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not really relevant to your question but I was recently fitted for Ping G410s and the recommendation was for senior flex due to my very advanced years. I soon realised I would like a 22 degree hybrid to fill what I perceived to be a gap. Being too impatient to wait for Ping's delivery time, I bought one with regular shaft which was available for immediate delivery. I can't say I notice any difference between that and the two higher loft hybrids. I can manage duffed shots with all three.

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I can manage duffed shots with all three.[/QUOTE said:
Lol. Believe me, so can I! However, it is a question of what is the best flex for me comparatively and, with senior shafts, on average my shots tend to go further and have a tighter dispersion.

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Not really some of my wedges have wedge flex and some have DGR300 in. With greenside and bunker shots I could not tell the difference.

I suspect you are right ... the impact of the flex probably diminishes as the distance of the shot reduces/loft of the club increases.