Seeds of recovery - the sequel

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
SOme of you will remember a few months back how I had some lessons and felt my game was back on track and how recently it had gone so far backwards I was worse off than before. Certainly after my showing at the club championship (last of those that didn't NR or were D/Q'd) and an atrocious hack (and that is too kind a description) yesterday I was wondering if I would ever play well again.

I had had a lesson last Saturday whereby my pro has got my posture a LOT more upright and got my right arm more over to the left (imagine the pale bit under the arm and the burnt bit where you get tanned playing - he wants the tanned bit more on top). Hit the ball great at the lesson and after but then played like a numpty.

I really played like a novice yesterday trying and was caught between trying the new set up and reverting back to "old habits" which I knew would at least get the ball forward (I nearly missed the ball completely twice on tee shots). I went to the range yesterday afternoon and was no better until HID popped along to see how it was going. She said I was addressing it too close to the heel. Well the change was imediate and I struck the ball very solidly if not very long (timing and power issues still to be addressed).

I played in the monthly medal today and came back with 31 points (13 out and 18 home). Not great but I 3 putted twice so that was two shots wasted and I threw at least another 2 shots away so I was very close to a par performance. The only potential problem I have with the new set up is that occassionally I am setting up with my left shoulder open which means every now and then I come over the ball resulting in a choppy slice/fade.

However for the first time in ages I feel like I am striking the ball well again and if I can get the set up correct I am swinging on plane (divots shallow and on line). It was hard to be subjective about how far I was hitting it distance wise as it was very windy and a lot of shots seemed to be into a direct headwind or wind across and into.

I'm not going to get over excited but it would be nice after all this time if I have found something that is at least repeatable 7 out of 10 swings. I'll keep at it and update you as to my progress!

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Good stuff matey, golf seems to be one of the hardest games to be consistant with and having little changes in shoulder alignment makes all the difference. Good luck matey, im in the middle of a rethink myself as I was pretty comfortable with my short game up until last year, this year it has lapsed and im actually more confident with my longer irons. I really need to go back to the drawing book and restart my thinking starting from 20 yards out as I have realised that this is where I am not making enough good shots, I do make some good up and downs from Seve'esque positions but from the fairway I really am not scoring enough pars and birdies where the drive has given me my best chance.
As I said, good luck homer, its days like that which give you hope and in a few weeks time you will know yourself whether it is going in the right direction, another lesson or two wont hurt either :D

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Nice one Homer, I think its important you dont get too stressed out about bad form.

Me personally wouldn't mark a card because trying to adapt to changes on the course would have my mind working over time.

I have been taught swing thoughts are for the range so I definitly wouldn't be playing any comps (not that I do anyway)

Since I got the tanned bit ontop, I hit the ball 10 times aswell as i did before. It felt so wierd and unatural at first but once you get used to it, its alot better. Even just to look down on!

You know what were all going to say, knuckle down and groove it in.

Get things sorted before we northens kick some southern butt! :D

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
Glad it is coming together for you Homer, you deserve some luck having clearly had a bit of a bad time on the course recently. I had a pretty good lesson / range session today too and have stopped dropping my right shoulder into the ball and am trusting the full shoulder turn more if that makes sense- and my ball flight has become (well it was today anyway!) extremely penetrating compared to the ballooning flight I was achieving.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
andir

To be honest I've been using the R7's again as they have a tad more weight being steel shafts so that I can sort of "feel" the clubhead position if that make any sort of sense. I found that with the graphite X20's I'm not confident enough of where I want the takeaway to go and my postion at the top and wasn't getting much feedback via the graphite. That said I have been out this afternoon while HID went to her mums and hit a few 7 irons with the new swing and it is feeling a whole lot better so I'm hoping to get the new clubs back in the bag either next weekend or the weekend after.

vig

Tour Winner
Visit site
Homer

You seem to practice a lot and have bought new kit recently yet not improving.
Don't you think you might be thinking too much? I would suggest you empty your head and just swing, see where that gets you.
I can't play freely if there is too much going on in my head, that includes work related issues. I always play better when I absorb the surroundings and just play.

OldWindy

Q-School Graduate
www.fronhaul-aberdovey.co.uk
Please don't take this the wrong way...but...as much as I admire your persistence to improve, I think you might benefit either (a) from a holiday away from golf entirely or (b) a week or two intensive tuition with a top quality school. Both of which you could afford if you were to hold back on the kit purchases. Your life is golf and I just happen to think you should take stock of where you are so you might understand your next move.