Season's Reflections

HRC99

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well, my first full season at a club is nearly over now - just one more event to go. I had been a member at another club for a couple of years but rarely played. So this year is really my first full proper season and great fun it's been too.

I've managed to come down from 18 to 12, just creeping up to 12.5 in the penultimate competition and very much hoping that I can get a cut in the final medal to get back to 12.

My game has significantly changed over the last six months and I thought it might be time to reflect on that time and what I’ve learned:

1: I know that I know that practising my short game is very important and the best way to improve your golf, but now I actually believe it.

2: Drive for show, putt for dough? Rubbish. If you’re in a bush 300 yards from the green off the tee, then it doesn’t matter how good your putting is. If I drive well, I will probably score well. If I drive badly, I will definitely post a big number.

3: My course management and my decision making was crap. There are no prizes gained for hitting a miraculous shot out of that bush/pond/tree and no-one wants to hear about it either. They will, however, laugh at you and take the piss when you say “Put me down for a 10.” Take a drop, idiot.

4: There is an inverse correlation between how hard I attempt to hit the ball and how far it actually goes. Stop trying to hit the thing so damn hard.

5: Exactly none of my good rounds of the year have been preceded by my arrival at the club 4 minutes before my tee time. All of my good rounds have been preceded by a warm up and practice.

6: Having your chosen iron in your hands 20 yards before you reach the ball and then a casual look at the hole does not constitute an adequate pre-shot routine.

7: Getting cut to 12 and believing that you are a 12 handicap golfer are two very, very different things.

8: Despite being longer off the tee than most, I now know that I hit the ball considerably less distance than I thought I did. Damn you, GPS.

9: Betterball ¾ handicap golf just doesn’t do it for me. I need a card in my hand to make me play properly.

10: Shiny new clubs will not make me play better, I just need a better swing and a brain.

11: Swearing at slow players and hitting into them will not get you let through any quicker. In fact, the opposite. Your round will take as long as it takes and just enjoy it.

12: Play a provisional, stupid. Walking back to the tee to reload makes you look a ***.

13: The Hotchkin course at Woodhall Spa is bloody difficult.

14: As a new member, having good supplies of homemade cake and sloe gin will make you popular to play with in the winter.

15: My normal shot is a fade. Stop pratting around trying to hit a draw, you’ll only cause yourself problems. That one’s courtesy of Bobmac. Blindingly obvious as soon as he said it, but no one had ever said it to me before.

16: Your round is not over because you messed up the first one/two/three holes.

17: Smiffy is, apparently, a knob.

18: And incontinent. Allegedly.

That's my lot. Any others?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
For me I should never have given myself a handicap target. Every time I started thinking about cuts my game went to pot and i never got down to the 18 I was aiming for.

Frustrating thing is, I know I have the game to get there (in social games I am not allowed to play off my official) but I would pile the pressure on and it never came out when it mattered. Next season, the mantra is just to enjoy it and what will be will be.

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
All very wise and all new golfers should take note (don't know Smiffy personally so can't comment on 17 and 18 :D).

The only one I'd take issue with is number 5. I always arrive a good hour before, eat breakfast, watch the soccerette bit on Soccer AM then if there's time squeeze in a quick pint before teeing off at 12:32. Practice consists of 6/7 putts and 3/4 swishes on the tee and away I go. Started season 5.4 ended 5.4 and best score couple of weeks ago with exactly the routine above and having not swung a club for 2 weeks before that. I'd say a key thought is to have no expectation other than to have a good time.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Great post. Nothing really to disagree with there (although I'll pass on 17 and 18). You've obviously had a good year, well done. 18 to 12 is no mean feat.

As for

1: I know that I know that practising my short game is very important and the best way to improve your golf, but now I actually believe it.

2: Drive for show, putt for dough? Rubbish. If you’re in a bush 300 yards from the green off the tee, then it doesn’t matter how good your putting is. If I drive well, I will probably score well. If I drive badly, I will definitely post a big number.

That's the trouble with this damn game, you have to drive well and putt well, and of course play all the shots in between well too!

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
7: Getting cut to 12 and believing that you are a 12 handicap golfer are two very, very different things.

Smiffy is a 12 h/capper.

NO COMMENT

My record speaks for itself.
I came 2nd at Royal Ascot the year before last, 34 points with 6 x 3 putts and 1 x 4 putt. And a blob.
Thank you

Need a good memory to remember your good rounds ? :D

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Wow cut from 18 to 12 is amazing!

This is my first year of serious golf ever, I have had a few casual summers over the last 3 years and a full 4 years of not playing. I also played as a kid and somehow got a 17 handicap. So I guess I have some natural knack.

My aims this year:

1. Get a handicap
2. Get lessons
3. Practice often
4. Play at least once a week where possible.
5. Play in some weekend competitons
6. Play in team and matchplay competitions
7. Shoot under 86, my then best ever.
8. Maybe even get my handicap cut!

My acheivements:

1. Got handicap of 17.0
2. Got 7 lessons so far with 5 more left to use before May.
3. Won two weekend competitons, 3 other top 5 finishes (total 12 played since first one in June)
4. In a summer and winter league team and plans to enter winter matchplay knockout.
5. Shot 86 three times and recently shot 84 twice!
6. Cut to 14.5, currently 14.6

Pretty much exceeded all expectations!

colint

Tour Rookie
Visit site
My seasons reflections are more akin to those you see in a Hall of Mirrors ie even fatter and uglier than real life.

This year didn't happen, fingers in ears lalalalalala

New start next season

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Steady but not spectacular....Only managed to play in 10 handicap competitions and came down from 16.5 to 15.4, before a point 1 crept in on the last comp I played, so finished the season on 15.5.

Started the season well and snuck in a win on the golf forum NW meet at Frodsham (only golf comp i've ever won!!), but i struggled at the back end of the season as my playing partners witnessed at Beau !!

I think i've not really been taking my game seriously enough , never thought that much about strategy or course management, i've always played for the craic and to spend Saturday afternoon with my mates. Next year i'm thinking i'll mix it up a bit and play with different players to make me concentrate more, I might even put my name down for our 2nd team and get some lessons over the winter.

Watch out Summer 2011 !!

D

Deleted member 1740

I dropped 5 shots this year and my aim was to get to 18 but upon reflection i think i expected a bit too much. Running before you can walk is the phrase!

At times i played well but over the season not consistant enough, card in hand syndrome.

Overall, i need to put a bit more good practice in and keep my mind focused on golf than getting a cut.

Hopefully a nice new shiny set of mizunos will help too.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Ended up going up a shot (11.3-12.1) and have developed mental issues with the short game. On the plus side I met a lot of decent people from here and played some nice courses. I did my bit for charity (Macmillan Longest Day) and learned that there is a link between getting too technical and having too many swing thoughts and playing rubbish. It's been a hard lesson but I'm trying to enjoy it more and not worry too much about consequence

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
there is a link between getting too technical and having too many swing thoughts and playing rubbish. It's been a hard lesson but I'm trying to enjoy it more and not worry too much about consequence

I am trying to learn to enjoy it, I just need to get the basics right first!

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
Good post, well done on getting to 12, staying there and finding your feet will be fun.

I have learned a lot this year, first year back in Northern Ireland, Got to play in a few club teams, met new people, and for the most part had fun.

I also learned (very recently) that just because I lost in my final doesnt make me a bad golfer, and not to beat my self up about not winning, I will lose more than I win, so just enjoy it. My Dad always told me that everyday is good day, just some are better than others!! Just working on getting that into my golf.
JT