Seasons Goals ?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Just gone to 12.4 this morning

Lessons I had have at the turn of the year have seen me hitting the ball as well as I ever have, but I just seem to be unable to cobble a score together. At last my chipping and (particularly) putting have come together but I just seem to struggle to score and so the inevitable .1's add up. usually as soon as I hit 13 h/c I have a decent round to drop me back to 12.

it's not the "card in the hand" syndrome as I like medal and Stableford comps. I asked my regular playing partner yesterday what he thought and he said that I just seem to make more mistakes than I used to, so I guess I just need to think about each shot more.

Foreplay

Medal Winner
Visit site
Guess we're about half way through the season, so how are your seasons goals shaping up from what you set yourself ??

Good or bad.

After a 20 year absence from golf due to a back operation I dusted down my clubs 2 years ago and took the plunge. My target was to break 90. My 1st round back i scored 105, 2nd round back i scored 91 and thought i will break 90 easily. Guess what 2 years later i am still to break 90, come close a few times but still eluding me. Bloody frustrating game this golf.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

Lessons I had have at the turn of the year have seen me hitting the ball as well as I ever have, but I just seem to be unable to cobble a score together. At last my chipping and (particularly) putting have come together but I just seem to struggle to score and so the inevitable .1's add up. usually as soon as I hit 13 h/c I have a decent round to drop me back to 12.

it's not the "card in the hand" syndrome as I like medal and Stableford comps. I asked my regular playing partner yesterday what he thought and he said that I just seem to make more mistakes than I used to, so I guess I just need to think about each shot more.

Beat you, went to 12.5 last week!

And I wouldn't want to play against either of us of those handicaps!

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site

Have you actually turned into homer ??;)

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
After my lesson and rebuilding my swing I was quite happy with where I was, but last weekend playing cricket I tore my calf so I'm out for 8-12 weeks

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Zero confidence atm after playing awful golf for a few months

Dont even want to play atm, pity as the weather is so good.

Goal for the year is get to single figures handicap, Gone from 14.5 to 13.0 so got lots more work to do.

badgb21

Hacker
Visit site
I played a little in my teens and early 20’s.
30+ years later I got the bug, properly this time!

Had some lessons, got some clubs and eventually joined Avington GC.
Just submitted last handicap card and got a 25 Handicap.
Will start to play some comps now and aim is to have 20 HC by end of year.

I get to play quite often and while the urge is there, I plan to make the most of it.
(This hard ground is really helping my distances!).

My over riding goal is to keep enjoying it and meeting more interesting people.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Absolutely right Duncan. Just wish I knew how to sort it

Reading the rest of your post, and having played with you, I suspect it's down to how you approach things when the inevitable mistakes occur. Solid bogeys won't hurt any aspect of your score, confidence or swing. Slipping into a double hurts them all; badly.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Zero confidence atm after playing awful golf for a few months

Dont even want to play atm, pity as the weather is so good.

Goal for the year is get to single figures handicap, Gone from 14.5 to 13.0 so got lots more work to do.

You sound like me. Clicked over to 14.5 although got it down to 13.8 and had a patch where I struggled. However glad I stuck at it as had a win and a second. Keep the faith, don't try too hard to get cuts and let the good scoring take care of that for you. Focus on getting the swing back, enjoying it and see where it takes you. Have to take advantage of the weather and be out there. Hope you find the mojo soon

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Reading the rest of your post, and having played with you, I suspect it's down to how you approach things when the inevitable mistakes occur. Solid bogeys won't hurt any aspect of your score, confidence or swing. Slipping into a double hurts them all; badly.

You're probably right Duncan. I had a driver lesson yesterday and although driving has been pretty good for me this season I wanted to get more height and consistency. It went well and achieved those goals, I also practiced a variation of my chipping technique for an hour or so. If now I can just bring together the improvements I hope that I can get back on track.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had a couple this year...

Cat 1 Handicap. (Achieved, twice now!)
Average score - 82. (Currently sat at 82.11 for all 2018 rounds)

Track all stats - So far, so good. Only rounds I haven't tracked are matchplay, pairs and texas scramble where I may not finish a hole)
GIR over 50% - Currently at 41.81%. Improvement required!
FIR over 60% - Currently at 43.61%. Getting harder to hold rock hard fairways!
Scrambling over 50% - Failing here...currently 27.64%. Short game always been a weakness
Average Putts - 32 - Currently at 31.42, so on track.

Win 'Major' Board comp - Not yet....not yet...

Practice regularly - I always promise this, but I just haven't done it this year.

Enjoy Golf - Enjoying it more than ever at the moment...

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Mine have been totally messed up. After missing over a month recovering from an op on my face, just back in and the weather glorious and then I got Sciatica. That's now cleared up and hoping to get started properly again now but I'm well delayed on my plan.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I had a couple this year...

Cat 1 Handicap. (Achieved, twice now!)
Average score - 82. (Currently sat at 82.11 for all 2018 rounds)

That's interesting that your average score is 82 yet you've achieved cat 1, not sure what my average is but I've only had 3 scores in the 80s this year, the rest in the 70s but yet to break through to cat 1 though only .4 away.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
That's interesting that your average score is 82 yet you've achieved cat 1, not sure what my average is but I've only had 3 scores in the 80s this year, the rest in the 70s but yet to break through to cat 1 though only .4 away.

you have to break 80 to even make buffer for Cat 1 at ours, must have a very hi SSS to be able to shoot in the 80's and get to cat 1 and stay there

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
His average score is maybe a bit misleading with regards to handicap.

If the majority of his rounds are non qualifying which I assume is the case for most people, he could just perform better in with care in hand.