Searching for balls

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I maybe (will be) in for a battering on this but here goes:-

so playing on Saturday in a medal with my mate and the wife (who neither were playing in the medal, yes we can do this), on the 12th I'd flicked a PW shot to just right of the green into the semi rough. After waiting for the other two to play, I wandered over to where my ball should have been. Well could I find it? so the search began. After 30 sec's my mate asked if we should let the two behind though, (they weren't up to where their balls were yet!). After about a minute I waved the fellas up and continued to search. My mate then went to the edge of the rough and lent on his club as me and the wife continued to search, with me getting a tad irate as the bluddy ball had only just rolled in!!!! After about 2 mins I found the ball just on the edge of the rough with grass lolling over it to give it a nice hiding place. The relief still did not outsway my annoyance at my mate leaning on his club. Now he's still new to comp play and has only played stableford, which had we been playing I'd have given the thing up as dead. BUT WE WEREN'T. It was a medal and I hate NR'ing. I pointed out to him that it was customary, nay unwritten ettiquette, that fellow players continue to search together until the player who's ball it is calls it dead. I had told him this a few weeks earlier, as he'd done this before, just so that if we were with others playing he wouldn't annoy them by not continuing to search. He wasn't best please and voiced his disquiet over my controlled, I did my best quiet enraged voice so not to cause a big scene, lecture. When we got to the next tee, his announced that he was not going to continue as this had now soured the day, and he wasn't going to bother playing anymore! A tad dramatic I thought.

Phew.....so go on then, was I right to say something, or should I have kept my big gob shut?

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
the one thing that bugs me with a few mates I play with is that I will always stand at the back off the tee when they are teeing off to spot where the ball goes, but when its my turn the buggers walk off and stand by their bags and don't return the favour

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Don't think you have the right to be angry at him tbh. Helping your FCs find their ball is a courtesy but not mandatory. You'd be a bit peeved but I wouldn't have said anything.

Fabia999

Visit site
I see both sides of this. Its not compulsory but I would always help my mates.

I obviously don't know your friend personally but it sounds like an impulsive reaction and if he really likes golf he'll be back next week. If he doesn't then maybe golf was never for him.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Don't think you have the right to be angry at him tbh. Helping your FCs find their ball is a courtesy but not mandatory. You'd be a bit peeved but I wouldn't have said anything.
Yes it's a courtesy but if you have to spend 4 hours in somebody's company it is much more enjoyable if there is a good atmosphere.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
It's just common courtesy to help look. I always help to look unless the player specifically says they don't want to - for whatever reason.
If players hit the ball into dense , deep bundu I often ask if they want to look for it.
If they do then off we go, if they don't we play on.
The only possible exception ( and it's a dodgy one imo) is in Matchplay where someone might be a little less thorough in their searching....

As above, it's a bit of a flounce and if he likes the game he'll be back

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I pointed out to him that it was customary, nay unwritten ettiquette, that fellow players continue to search together until the player who's ball it is calls it dead. I had told him this a few weeks earlier, as he'd done this before, just so that if we were with others playing he wouldn't annoy them by not continuing to search. He wasn't best please and voiced his disquiet over my controlled, I did my best quiet enraged voice so not to cause a big scene, lecture.

Maybe this part wasn't as successful as you'd hoped

Of course its correct to point it out... the how and when are every bit as crucial as the message is though, otherwise it can be counterproductive

D

Deleted member 15344

So you found it after about 3 and half mins - guess you then got even more annoyed when you had to go back and play another ball 😖

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
So you found it after about 3 and half mins - guess you then got even more annoyed when you had to go back and play another ball 😖
Even though the OP clearly says found it after about 2 minutes?????

Personally I'll help anyone search for a ball as I see it as a common courtesy and was something I was brought up to do. I can think of only a few (maybe 3-4 tops) in all the groups I play in that will wander over as a last resort and help. Not sure I've come across anyone that has expressly refused to help. Think the OP's PP was a bit of a drama queen although I imagine it boils down to context at the time.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes it's a courtesy but if you have to spend 4 hours in somebody's company it is much more enjoyable if there is a good atmosphere.
So surely that means not having a massive go at him?? :LOL:

Putting myself in that situation, I probably would have said something to try and rope him into searching, like "see any balls over there mate?" - rather than just moaning at him. As you say, let's keep the atmosphere nice and rosy.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
He has had a huge flounce there! He probably knows he was wrong and will return, I am sure

I'd sooner not play with someone like that.

Absolutely no need for that reaction and doesn't even have the common sense or courtesy to help find a lost ball.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
So surely that means not having a massive go at him?? :LOL:

Putting myself in that situation, I probably would have said something to try and rope him into searching, like "see any balls over there mate?" - rather than just moaning at him. As you say, let's keep the atmosphere nice and rosy.

Isn't that just the same?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Isn't that just the same?
I pointed out to him that it was customary, nay unwritten ettiquette, that fellow players continue to search together until the player who's ball it is calls it dead.

How is that the same? It sounds like you're reading out of the R&A handbook. My suggestion was to keep it lighter by simply asking him if he could see the ball anywhere near him. Kind of cajole him into searching rather than demanding it.

Too late now though, so whatever.