Searching for balls

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Sounds like a bit of a drama queen!!!
can't be arsed to help search for a ball so gives up.... sounds like golfs not for them

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
the one thing that bugs me with a few mates I play with is that I will always stand at the back off the tee when they are teeing off to spot where the ball goes, but when its my turn the buggers walk off and stand by their bags and don't return the favour

Yea this is more of a pet peeve for me

One of my mates I play with never watches my ball, always shuffling his bag or looking the other way. Very annoying as occassionally you hit a driver and just lose the ball flight straight away and need other eyes to know where it has gone

D

Deleted member 21258

I would not have said anything the truth being told.

However I would have moaned to myself in my mind, over someone not helping out.

I almost always do, as hope to find some balls to replenish my bag with. :D

Siolag

Visit site
He sounds like a drama queen.

On a busy Saturday medal day (I am presuming), I’d have thought that everyone had a responsibility to keep play moving. If that involves looking in the rough, so be it.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have never played with someone who has not helped to look for a ball, never. Weird one and I tend to side with the others who are putting him in the drama queen category.

Wolf

Visit site
He sounds a little precious to me, to walk feeling offended like that I'd suggest he takes up knitting.
He would probably expect you to help him search and you would because its just a common golfing courtesy

mister v

Visit site
i think your mate was feeling a little silly when he was putting his clubs in the car boot.... if he's new to comps especially medals he'll soon see the benefit of searching for your playing partners ball (they'll be searching for yours next).
I think you were right to mention it

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
OMG, thank you so much for the replies and the validation of my actions. (y)I still felt a bit mean saying what I did, but it was the second time I'd actually pointed this out him. (He'd actually done this many many times but as these were just 18 hole knocks it had never mattered before).

Bxm Foxy

Visit site
Well within your rights to tell him. I have a mate who is quite new to golf, and he's not the best at looking for balls, or keeping his eye on tee shots.

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Ball searching is a karma thing. If you don't search for other people, don't expect them to search for you. I'm rubbish at following the ball in the air so I need help. It would be so wrong to not try to return the favour when required.

Visit site
While on the subject of searching for balls.
Can you declare a ball lost in matchplay without searching. The same as you would in a medal if you are in the cabbage and you just want to keep play moving??

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Can you declare a ball lost in matchplay without searching. The same as you would in a medal if you are in the cabbage and you just want to keep play moving??

Without getting into the whole 'declare a ball lost' thing. Isn't it pretty much the same actions/events in a match as it is in medal that would result in a ball being a lost ball?

Visit site
Without getting into the whole 'declare a ball lost' thing. Isn't it pretty much the same actions/events in a match as it is in medal that would result in a ball being a lost ball?
I should add, I meant declaring a lost ball after playing a provisional ball to a more preferable place.
I get that this is a debate which could result in a 10 pager 😂

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I should add, I meant declaring a lost ball after playing a provisional ball to a more preferable place.
I get that this is a debate which could result in a 10 pager 😂

I think I get what you mean , I just wouldn't say it like that in the rules area :sneaky:

Anyway, i think they're pretty much the same other than (& depending on the status of the match) a match opponent may be more likely to look for your ball than your medal group, even if you don't want it found, and if they find it within the time you're a bit snookered

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
If geographically possible, I always make sure that I hit my own ball before joining the search effort, but there really is no excuse to just idle around while another player is searching for his or her ball. Still, I probably would have kept my mouth shut. And I still would have continued to search for his ball the next time he hit it in the rough. I normally assume that things like that are better learned through example than through lecture.

Siolag

Visit site
Well within your rights to tell him. I have a mate who is quite new to golf, and he's not the best at looking for balls, or keeping his eye on tee shots.

I am gradually learning this. At the weekend my playing partner who didn't have the best eyesight thought he'd gone in a bunker and was delighted when I told him his ball had bounced over it! He said 'i was getting ready to storm down there'.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
the one thing that bugs me with a few mates I play with is that I will always stand at the back off the tee when they are teeing off to spot where the ball goes, but when its my turn the buggers walk off and stand by their bags and don't return the favour

I cannot comment :)

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Played in a Mixed doubles comp last year. My PP was atrocious, her words not mine. Anyway the married couple we played against were very good. She had only been playing 9 months and had intensive lessons. She had hit a few wayward balls. I had found a couple of her lost balls. On the 18th my PP put a ball in some rough and he could not be arsed to help look. I was seething inside. It is the closest i had got to saying “ shove it” when shaking hands on the 18th. They won the comp. we came last.
During the presentation they received two envelopes. She went straight to the toilets, came back and he had opened both envelopes. Vouchers for John Lewis. She was livid and told him so. if i play with someone again and they wont help look. I will say something. You were right to say summat.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
How do you declare a ball lost in a medal? There's no provision for that in the rules for medal or match