Scratch cards in this months mag.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Now I know that I'm responsible for my own actions, but for some reason (I must have been bored) I decided to "Scratch" the cards - I know, I know! Of course, after matching 3 identical symbols, I called the number - for a chance to win £25000 - £10000, a luxury holiday, a fantastic watch, etc. etc. and then the big one - £1000000!!
And you've guessed it, I did not win :angry:

Why did I do that, I thought to myself - you know it never happens - in it to win it :eek:

Imagine how I felt, when in the 02 shop discussing my upgrade for a smartphone with a very helpful young assistant/ expert. When he got my account history up, I said that I didn't know why my bill has suddenly doubled this last month. He said, "Well all your calls are free, except this one for over 6 minutes to a premium number". Twelve flipping quid!!
Sending my bill from £15 to over £30. I know it's not mega amounts of money but...........

THE SCRATCH CARD!!

So, Golf Monthly, my question is, why do you allow these - things - to be placed in our magazine?

D

Deleted member 17920

Now I know that I'm responsible for my own actions, but for some reason (I must have been bored) I decided to "Scratch" the cards - I know, I know! Of course, after matching 3 identical symbols, I called the number - for a chance to win £25000 - £10000, a luxury holiday, a fantastic watch, etc. etc. and then the big one - £1000000!!

Why did I do that, I thought to myself - you know it never happens - in it to win it :eek:

Imagine how I felt, when in the 02 shop discussing my upgrade for a smartphone with a very helpful young assistant/ expert. When he got my account history up, I said that I didn't know why my bill has suddenly doubled this last month. He said, "Well all your calls are free, except this one for over 6 minutes to a premium number". Twelve flipping quid!!
Sending my bill from £15 to over £30. I know it's not mega amounts of money but...........

THE SCRATCH CARD!!

So, Golf Monthly, my question is, why do you allow these - things - to be placed in our magazine?
You didn't win but the scratch card company certainly did. ;)

el marko

Head Pro
Visit site

THE SCRATCH CARD!!

Because idiots like you continue to fund this con.

bozza

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No offence to the OP but anyone gullible enough to fall for these scratchcard cons that have been around for years deserve the outcome.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
No offence to the OP but anyone gullible enough to fall for these scratchcard cons that have been around for years deserve the outcome.

No offence taken.

I've been a subscriber to GM Magazine for the best part of 10 years, and often have the scratchcards in the mag pages and just throw them in the bin without scratching.

I've always been against gambling and it's saddening to see how much is marketed these days. I get fed up with these s/cards and find it surprising that GM use these at all. Let's not beat about the bush - they are just a con. I have to say that I've never "Tested" these s/cards before and must admit was surprised at the excessive call charges.

If, as I am sure most on here are fully aware of the excessive costs involved, then why do Golf Monthly allow their use.

I call for them now to be banned.

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
No offence taken.

I've been a subscriber to GM Magazine for the best part of 10 years, and often have the scratchcards in the mag pages and just throw them in the bin without scratching.

I've always been against gambling and it's saddening to see how much is marketed these days. I get fed up with these s/cards and find it surprising that GM use these at all. Let's not beat about the bush - they are just a con. I have to say that I've never "Tested" these s/cards before and must admit was surprised at the excessive call charges.

If, as I am sure most on here are fully aware of the excessive costs involved, then why do Golf Monthly allow their use.

I call for them now to be banned.

Is the answer that GM are part of a magazine group that seeks to make money perhaps?

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes I am fully aware of how they are in business to make money.

But there are other ways. It's morally wrong in my opinion.

Not looking for an argument here mate but no one made you call the number after you had scratched it. Had you won a decent sum of money you would be on here whooping for joy and asking for advice on new irons, not arguing the morality of it.

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Did you actually not realise that:

a) 090 (or whatever) numbers are expensive
b) these scratchcard comps never yield results?
c) it might be a good idea to read the small print?

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes I am fully aware of how they are in business to make money.

But there are other ways. It's morally wrong in my opinion.

It must be a tricky balance between advertising income and losing subscribers. I stopped my subscription, years ago, to another golf magazine when they started carrying adverts for granny sex lines :eek:...true story. I was genuinely offended they thought I was in that demographic.:D

I've often wondered who would phone the number, I've got this mate, he needs to get some money out of Nigeria :D