Scottys are they worth it?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not so weird, the Nike only went in in 2010 so he'd already got his 14 by then and I doubt it's his putter holding him back in these lean years ;)

But it gave him his 5-wins in 2013 (can you tell that I bought one brand new for £79 yet ;) )

Rory didn't seem to take to his as easily and Tigers back to the SC now too I think, but I still reckon its a good example for price comparison to an SC at that time without the obvious mark up for the SC name

Still an expensive putter but the TM spider is collecting plenty wins and will continue I think for a few more years so maybe we're seeing more manufactures join in delivering Scotty (& to an extent Ping) high end quality and charge similar prices so maybe its not 'are scotty's worth it' but instead its really asking; 'are £300 putters worth it?'

A mid range TM putter was around £100 5 years ago, now its over £200 for their mid stuff and a few other makes up at 200+ too, its all gone a bit mad on putters recently

Odyssey seem to be consistent with prices and winning, mid range is £120 Top range is pushing £200 , has been like this for a while and a hell of a lot of wins with them

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I personally think you pay for the name a bit with them. No doubt they are good putters but when they are priced 100 quid more than an Odyssey for example, are they really that much better? I don't believe so. If you compared a £250 quid Scotty to a £150 Odyssey and a £100 Ping of all similar shapes and weights, I don't think you'd see an enormous difference.

C&R

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I personally think you pay for the name a bit with them. No doubt they are good putters but when they are priced 100 quid more than an Odyssey for example, are they really that much better? I don't believe so. If you compared a £250 quid Scotty to a £150 Odyssey and a £100 Ping of all similar shapes and weights, I don't think you'd see an enormous difference.

I have a scotty but I agree with this👍🏻

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I' a few Scottys and i do thing they are great putters. Well made and hold the value better than most other brands.

I putt well with it and put it to good use from around the green where at my clubs its easier to putt from off the green than chip in summer.

Ive tried others but found none as good as the Scotties, prefer a milled face to an insert, really struggle with those type putters.

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Well it depends, the main benefit is that they hold their value better. Do they more consistently start the ball on line/or at consistent speeds vs a comparable model from Odyssey or even something vastly cheaper from Cleveland or such? Absolutely not

Will you have something beautiful that you might enjoy using and therefore practice more/take more pride in your putting? Yes and quite likely

Do they feel better? Entirely subjective

Last edited:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I have a scotty but I agree with this👍🏻

I don't on the other hand. SC built quality and materials used far superior IMO.

I know quite a few guys who have had bits fall off including face inserts on Odyssey and Ping putter, never seen or heard of any problems with a SC.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Do you carry all putters with you and then test on the practice green which one putts well on those type of greens then put that in the bag?

I can’t bring myself to own more than 1, soon as I bought mine I sold my old one to someone at work for £20.. just to get temptation to change out the way

Same with my vokey wedge.. I moved back to my stock pitching wedge and sold the vokey to just resist changing

Most are in my locker at the club and so I tend to try several at one time when I'm thinking of a change. That said, the odyssey milled #9 was back in the bag today and once I get working on the short ones and holing out with confidence I'm planning to keep that for the season. My favourite putter in terms of shape and feel

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’m happier with my single Scotty than the five hundred pounds worth of Ping, Rife, and TaylorMade putters that came and went before it.

It’s the only club in my bag that I couldn’t part with. It’s a club I’ll have for life - my Excalibur - and from my cold dead hands will it be parted.

It’s been worth every penny at twice the price.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Most are in my locker at the club and so I tend to try several at one time when I'm thinking of a change. That said, the odyssey milled #9 was back in the bag today and once I get working on the short ones and holing out with confidence I'm planning to keep that for the season. My favourite putter in terms of shape and feel

Is there ever a danger of picking a putter , missing an easy putt and having the doubt in the putter then?

A kind of I wonder if I’ve picked the wrong putter situation

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't think I will ever know if they are worth the money or not.

About 5 years ago I won a Newport 2 in matt black in our Pro's raffle. It looked amazing but I doubted whether it would do any better than my trusty Ping. So I chopped it in for £290 which I used to part-fund new irons.

Have just bought an original TM Spider S off a mate for half a case of Red. Love it to bits so will not be looking for a Scotty at them there prices.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Spider Monza been in (and occassionally out) of my bag for a long long long time...pretty much got it when they first came out.
When I'm putting well it works brilliantly 😎

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
But style of putter Can help right? Recently switched from a Rossie to a two ball and my putting has improved no end ...yes it’s my ability but I feel like I’m gonna hole more / get it close with the new one

My putter of choice. Two ball. Melly had just got one and is smashing it dead. Yhe simplicity is fantastic. Line the three balls up and hit. Simples.

BristolMike

Head Pro
Visit site
I’m happier with my single Scotty than the five hundred pounds worth of Ping, Rife, and TaylorMade putters that came and went before it.

It’s the only club in my bag that I couldn’t part with. It’s a club I’ll have for life - my Excalibur - and from my cold dead hands will it be parted.

It’s been worth every penny at twice the price.

im with you on that, my Scotty has been in the bag for 6-7 years where nothing else has been over 12 months. I’ve bought an Evnroll to keep it on its toes, but it’s still holding its place

mhwgc

Assistant Pro
Visit site
There's also a big price difference in the prices for SC retail putters, then the tour putters that the Pro's use, then his limited edition/hand made etc. But are they worth it, if you've got the money and like quality products, yes.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Never seen the fascination for a Scotty putter, loads of choices out there and it's each to their own when It comes down to the flat stick. Use what feels right dont get caught up on all the hype

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Crossfield has just stuck a video up and does a demonstration on how good his scotty is.

I have a futura but don’t use it because I didn’t like the alignment.

Now have a odyssey o works #7

Sam puttlab says that the #7 gives me a nice forward neutral roll, but the scotty gave me abit of backspin.
Could be because of the micro hinges on the #7 or it could be because I rolled my scotty poorly. Who knows!

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Sam puttlab says that the #7 gives me a nice forward neutral roll, but the scotty gave me abit of backspin.
Could be because of the micro hinges on the #7 or it could be because I rolled my scotty poorly. Who knows!

That's interesting, I bought an Ardmore 2 L neck just before Christmas and although not actually used it in anger yet (winter greens ever since) I could swear it rolls much better than my white hot Odyssey, but as Crossfield showed in his vid, when he put the putter on the ground and told it to hole the ball, it didn't budge.

Mark1751

Assistant Pro
Visit site
A local American Golf outlet to me has tweeted that they have Scotty Cameron putter’s from £49, so if anyone is local to one it may be worth a trip down to see what they have on offer