Scottys are they worth it?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I do not quite buy into this statement. A cheap ass putter is going to made from cheap materials and not manufactured very well at all. Inconsistencies in the head can lead to slightly off center putts missing by a long way. I got took for a **** on Flee bay once and bought a Scotty that I saw for a good price after trying exactly the same one from my pro shop and loving it. A few weeks after buying it I still couldn't putt with it. My pro had a look at it because he loves Scotties and straight away said it was fake. To me it looked totally genuine, but compared to the real thing there was slight differences.

But it had the milled face, same lie angle etc at the real one, but I couldn't putt with it. Got the real one out of the shop and it was like night and day. The real thing felt better, sounded better and definitely rolled the ball better.

MyGolSpy did a test a while back
A genuine Scotty Vs a fake.....a decent fake but a fake nonetheless.
After a variety of putts from different lengths, bear in mind the testers didn't know which was the fake, and there really was very little to choose between the two.
Some even preferred, and putted better with, the fake....
That tells me that it really is all down to what gets the ball in the hole, regardless of cost, name, materials or anything else....
Having confidence in what's in your hand trumps any name or exotic material.

Yant

Head Pro
Visit site
Out of all of the clubs to get fitted for I’d say the putter is probably the most important yet the least fitted by the club golfer.

I’ve experiences scottys in the past and used a Del Mar for a few years. I found the milled head to produce a dull contact and I prefer something with an insert. Currently using a Taylor made spider black but thinking about trying one of the new Newport’s with the inserts. If I do decide to get one I will get it properly fitted to ensure it matches my putting stroke.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Played with someone yesterday who had a beat up old Scotty

Putted like a king

It was when he started calling the putts before they went in that took the mick lol

This suggests someone who can actually read greens and putts...rather than the relevance of which putter they used.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
i see them the same way i see a rolex. does it tell the time better than a £50 argos special? not to a noticeable degree. but its nice to own a rolex if you are in to that type of thing

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think the problem with Scotties at times is the way people buy them as a fashion accessory, or believing spending all that money will help them hole the ball. Because of this you will find a lot of bad players using them, so you will see a lot of poor putting displays with them. But better players will always pick the club that is best for them, not the one that will impress their mates.

Every club in my bag is chosen because it was the one that was best suited to me when I bought it, not because someone might be impressed by me owning one.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think when comparing things like putters you need to look at what is being used on tour, as I am a believer that if the pros are using it then it must be good.

Top 10 players with the flat stick in strokes gained:

3 use scotties
3 use PING
3 use Odyssey
1 uses YES

Top 10 putters on the PGA Tour:

6 use scotty
3 use TM
1 use Odyssey

Normally the putter is the one club in the bag that Pros do not tie themself into using with a club deal. So going on the fact that the best putters in the world are choosing them says that they must be worth it.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It's subjective. I can putt well (for periods) with an Anser from 1983, a current Anser model, a milled Odyssey #9, Odyssey O-works Fang and a branding iron Ping Wolverine. Different styles, different brands and all have suited me in the past (and will again). I don't care what make/model it is, if my stroke is solid and consistent I'll make putts. It tends to be all about confidence for me and if a putter is working well I'll be positive in my stroke. After a while I'll miss a few and question my stroke and confidence will go and usually I'll swap. Not the right thing to do I know but it's what I do. Now my Odyssey #9 is re-gripped this is what I'd like to stick with. Goes back in the back tomorrow

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's subjective. I can putt well (for periods) with an Anser from 1983, a current Anser model, a milled Odyssey #9, Odyssey O-works Fang and a branding iron Ping Wolverine. Different styles, different brands and all have suited me in the past (and will again). I don't care what make/model it is, if my stroke is solid and consistent I'll make putts. It tends to be all about confidence for me and if a putter is working well I'll be positive in my stroke. After a while I'll miss a few and question my stroke and confidence will go and usually I'll swap. Not the right thing to do I know but it's what I do. Now my Odyssey #9 is re-gripped this is what I'd like to stick with. Goes back in the back tomorrow

I never understand the use of many different putters surely a putter is all about feel and consistency. so changing the stick all the time would breed doubt in the club if its on the naughty step?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I never understand the use of many different putters surely a putter is all about feel and consistency. so changing the stick all the time would breed doubt in the club if its on the naughty step?

Not arguing. Sometimes I just fancy a change of style or feel, especially on fast/very slow greens but I am no doubt an architect of my own downfall at times keep changing. However I doubt I'm alone on swapping if one is misbehaving

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
It is misleading to look at the number of pros playing with scotties. None of them are playing with the ones you can buy in the shops. Scotty does circle T tour models. They are way more expensive. Most pros use these.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not arguing. Sometimes I just fancy a change of style or feel, especially on fast/very slow greens but I am no doubt an architect of my own downfall at times keep changing. However I doubt I'm alone on swapping if one is misbehaving

I've never understood this putting a club on the naughty step cause it is misbehaving. It worked before, so why isn't it working now? The only thing that has changed is you, the club is still exactly the same as when you played well with it.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Do you carry all putters with you and then test on the practice green which one putts well on those type of greens then put that in the bag?

I can’t bring myself to own more than 1, soon as I bought mine I sold my old one to someone at work for £20.. just to get temptation to change out the way

Same with my vokey wedge.. I moved back to my stock pitching wedge and sold the vokey to just resist changing

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Do you carry all putters with you and then test on the practice green which one putts well on those type of greens then put that in the bag?

I can’t bring myself to own more than 1, soon as I bought mine I sold my old one to someone at work for £20.. just to get temptation to change out the way

Same with my vokey wedge.. I moved back to my stock pitching wedge and sold the vokey to just resist changing

Hmm. I have 6 drivers, 8 sets of irons, about 20 wedges, and 6 ish putters. I never sell anything.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I have always thought that a Scotty is the Pinnacle of putters.. a few people say they are over hyped and overpriced

However looking into it 36 majors won with scottys ... all of tigers , half or Rory’s and all of spieths

Something in it? Specially when woods played Nike!

Didn't Tiger and Rory both take the SC out the bag and put in a Nike method (no doubt because they were paid to) but would they really have done it knowing it just couldn't perform like an SC?

The consumer version of that Nike putter maxed out at something under £250 I think (so well under the SC) and sold ridiculously cheap after Nike pulled out of clubs (so didn't retain its value like SC)

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Didn't Tiger and Rory both take the SC out the bag and put in a Nike method (no doubt because they were paid to) but would they really have done it knowing it just couldn't perform like an SC?

The consumer version of that Nike putter maxed out at something under £250 I think (so well under the SC) and sold ridiculously cheap after Nike pulled out of clubs (so didn't retain its value like SC)
But you notice tigers majors were all won with the Scotty not the Nike. That’s the weird thing

Rory changes his putter every week it seems

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
But you notice tigers majors were all won with the Scotty not the Nike. That’s the weird thing

Rory changes his putter every week it seems

Not so weird, the Nike only went in in 2010 so he'd already got his 14 by then and I doubt it's his putter holding him back in these lean years ;)

But it gave him his 5-wins in 2013 (can you tell that I bought one brand new for £79 yet ;) )

Rory didn't seem to take to his as easily and Tigers back to the SC now too I think, but I still reckon its a good example for price comparison to an SC at that time without the obvious mark up for the SC name

Still an expensive putter but the TM spider is collecting plenty wins and will continue I think for a few more years so maybe we're seeing more manufactures join in delivering Scotty (& to an extent Ping) high end quality and charge similar prices so maybe its not 'are scotty's worth it' but instead its really asking; 'are £300 putters worth it?'

A mid range TM putter was around £100 5 years ago, now its over £200 for their mid stuff and a few other makes up at 200+ too, its all gone a bit mad on putters recently