Scottys are they worth it?

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
They haven’t faired too well on MyGolfSpy testing compared to other brands. Especially considering the cost.

The only time ive tried one was playing about in AG. Apart from their looks, they didn’t feel any different and didn’t putt any better than others. I’ve played with a Cleveland smartsquare, odyssey versa tank #7, but the best has been a Ping anser 4 blade for me.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Putting is hard to call.

Best putter I’ve seen used his dads old Mizuno putter.

A putter is only worth it if you feel it’s worth it. I spent a LOT on my putter, second biggest single club purchase to date.

It was worth it to me as I still have it 8 years later and expect it to be around 8 more at least.

At least with certain putters you can sell them on without much loss, mine... I doubt anyone would want it!

Fish

Banned
Visit site
If you like the weight, look and feel of a putter and you’re confident & comfortable with it, then the brand is irrelevant imo, if you can’t putt with all those attritubutes then lessons & practice is the only answer, there’s no special putter that will remedy any bad habits you’ve got.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Mine had to go off for a small repair, red dot had fallen out and they replace it FOC. Played a couple of rounds with my old Odyssey 2 ball and didn't putt too badly but on it's return I've had two great putting rounds as it just gives me so much more confidence than any other putter I've had, 4 in 18 years.

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
Lovely putter, look good and feel good, but personally I didn’t find them any better or worse than others.
I bought one last year, sold now, it was a lovely putter but didn’t work as well as my black series two ball for me, Scotty cost me 300 quid, the 2 ball was 60 quid second hand off here. And for me, I’m much happier with the odyssey.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I have 4 scotties, and a never compromise, which I prefer. But I am now putting with a 1987 ping becu b60. Its what ever gets the ball in the hole.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
They’re over priced and not actually any better than other big brand putters,but if you like them and can afford one then why not.

Sidsidgwick

Assistant Pro
Visit site
First putter was a Bettinardi A01 (loved the feel but just didn’t sit right for me)

Second putter was a never Compromise Milled series #2 which was fantastic.

Purchases a Scotty GoLo 3 after tying one for 10 minutes in AG and couldn’t get away with it at all so sold it on.

Used the money to purchase a 2017 Newport and I absolutely love it. Great feel, looks great and I feel confident across the green with it so to me well worth the monies. Is it any better than other brands? That’s far too subjective a question but for many owners they are a positive investment.

G

guest100718

They’re over priced and not actually any better than other big brand putters,but if you like them and can afford one then why not.

plenty of equally priced putter out there from ping etc.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I love a milled putter and Scotty's were probably the first to do this properly and to a wide appeal and having tried many at a GM testing day, they are certainly well made putters. However I got an Odyssey #9 protype with a milled face much cheaper (paying RRP) and it's equally as good. Now my new grip is on I'll be reacquainting myself for the season to come

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Saw an old Crossfield video recently on "is an expensive putter worth it" and he made the point that if the loft/lie is the same then the ball can't tell the difference between a £5 charity shop putter and a limited edition Scotty etc. A nice putter alone won't make you good if you can't putt very well!

Its all about confidence, feel and personal choice as pointed out earlier. I use a Scotty, bought 2nd hand, and love it. Gives me confidence and enjoyment, so I am happy.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
For me the putter is the most personal club in the bag. If it gives you confidence then it doesn’t matter if it’s costs £5 or £500 then just go for it.

They’re such a subjective club that what works best for you or you see as being worthwhile won’t be to someone else. Some will see an SC as a massive waste of money when a club for the fraction of the price will do the job. For me, I was a massive putter whore, skipping merrily from one to another before casting admiring glances towards my next conquest. My present putter I got fitted for, cost me over £400 however I haven’t looked at another since so, on that basis. It’s good value for me.

Mike07

Head Pro
Visit site
All about the Scotty Cameron 009...

Debate about scotties always comes down to money, rather than if they are actually good putters. Are they good putters, hell yes they are... are they good for everyone, of course not

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Saw an old Crossfield video recently on "is an expensive putter worth it" and he made the point that if the loft/lie is the same then the ball can't tell the difference between a £5 charity shop putter and a limited edition Scotty etc. .

I do not quite buy into this statement. A cheap ass putter is going to made from cheap materials and not manufactured very well at all. Inconsistencies in the head can lead to slightly off center putts missing by a long way. I got took for a **** on Flee bay once and bought a Scotty that I saw for a good price after trying exactly the same one from my pro shop and loving it. A few weeks after buying it I still couldn't putt with it. My pro had a look at it because he loves Scotties and straight away said it was fake. To me it looked totally genuine, but compared to the real thing there was slight differences.

But it had the milled face, same lie angle etc at the real one, but I couldn't putt with it. Got the real one out of the shop and it was like night and day. The real thing felt better, sounded better and definitely rolled the ball better.