Scottys are they worth it?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have always thought that a Scotty is the Pinnacle of putters.. a few people say they are over hyped and overpriced

However looking into it 36 majors won with scottys ... all of tigers , half or Rory’s and all of spieths

Something in it? Specially when woods played Nike!

S17er

Club Champion
Visit site
Not saying this applies to everyone but whenever I play with someone new who has a Scotty I play close attention to their putting and have yet to notice any Scotty user superiority.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
The question you should be asking yourself is are they worth it to YOU.

If you can justify the outlay and it helps you hole more, then it's worth it.

I've had Scottys in the past but still prefer my Edel.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Just about the only 'Scotties' I've ever really got on with were actually made by Bettinardi (early TeI3s). Other Camerons have generally been ho-hum to 'doesn't feel right' for me! Bettis have just about always felt right, for me - so I've been a Betti fan for umpteen years.

Scotty does make quality putters. But, imo, they are indeed over-hyped and overpriced! But, as Imurg states, if a putter gets the ball in the hole better than others, then it's worth paying extra - up to a point, but that 'point' is an individual !

Yes putters are entirely 'predictable' too - and very good value! There are other high quality, reasonably priced (like Rife, Seemore, Fisher) brands that are well made and work predictably too! Ping even make some really good ones at good prices!

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not saying this applies to everyone but whenever I play with someone new who has a Scotty I play close attention to their putting and have yet to notice any Scotty user superiority.

Played with someone yesterday who had a beat up old Scotty

Putted like a king

It was when he started calling the putts before they went in that took the mick lol

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Bit like cars really - most get you from A to B but some suit more that others.

They cost less than a driver but you use them for double the shots

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Your ability to putt well does not depend on the cost of the putter.
But style of putter Can help right? Recently switched from a Rossie to a two ball and my putting has improved no end ...yes it’s my ability but I feel like I’m gonna hole more / get it close with the new one

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
The fist putter I bought was an old fastback off my grandad.
Always felt was an ok putter. Then treated myself to a Newport last year with the ag double discount. Putter fell apart.

Now have a 5cb version and seem to be improving.

Imo putter shape makes a difference. Not sure brand does. I just like the look of the Scottys.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just about the only 'Scotties' I've ever really got on with were actually made by Bettinardi (early TeI3s). Other Camerons have generally been ho-hum to 'doesn't feel right' for me! Bettis have just about always felt right, for me - so I've been a Betti fan for umpteen years.

Scotty does make quality putters. But, imo, they are indeed over-hyped and overpriced! But, as Imurg states, if a putter gets the ball in the hole better than others, then it's worth paying extra - up to a point, but that 'point' is an individual !

Yes putters are entirely 'predictable' too - and very good value! There are other high quality, reasonably priced (like Rife, Seemore, Fisher) brands that are well made and work predictably too! Ping even make some really good ones at good prices!

Could never own a fisher putter
My mate had one.. nothing wrong with it.. he sold for a Scotty because we ripped the hell out of him for his fisher price putter

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
But style of putter Can help right? Recently switched from a Rossie to a two ball and my putting has improved no end ...yes it’s my ability but I feel like I’m gonna hole more / get it close with the new one

Absolutely
We are all different so threre is a style, length, weight, grip etc to suit everyone.

If your putter doesn't 'fit you' then you may well benefit from changing the putter.
If it does fit you and you still can't putt, dont buy a more expensive one, practice

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Absolutely
We are all different so threre is a style, length, weight, grip etc to suit everyone.

If your putter doesn't 'fit you' then you may well benefit from changing the putter.
If it does fit you and you still can't putt, dont buy a more expensive one, practice
Good point bob

I been struggling with the rossie. Confidence all gone.. got a great deal on a two ball but I was testing it and leaving them close or in so was happy

Took it out yesterday for its first round on a full par 72 33 putts with one chip in and 1 x 3 putt due to leaving the first one short from 25 foot.. still getting the lag putting bit hit and miss

Better tho specially in the winter

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Absolutely

If it does fit you and you still can't putt, dont buy a more expensive one, * practice

Surely you should be an advocare of 'get a lesson (to find out why you can't putt), then change and ...' at the asterisk point!

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
If you're happy to pay the price and are pleased with your purchase then it's worth it.

I've never had one so can't say if they're better than the next putter or not.

Anything that's over-hyped, not just putters, I tend to steer clear of anyway.

I just bought a putter on ebay purely because i liked the look of the little I could see of it, the couple of pictures mixed in with some other clubs didn't tell me much at all!

What I could see was that it's called a Jack Berry "It-Sits", it has a sort of monkey's head cleek mark, it has a black, coated steel shaft and looks like a low profile, semi-mallet head shape.

Can't wait to receive it and try it out.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
If someone told me I would have a putting average of 25 if I splashed out £500 on a putter, I'd spend £500 on a putter. I don't care what the name is I'd have it in a flash if it significantly improved my putting.