Scotty Cameron bashing

BoadieBroadus

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Exactly! what ever floats your boat mate, enjoy!

PS. Still think they are over hyped and over priced putters!! :p

I would agree that they are over priced, I don't think that the hype is necessarily SC's fault though they do stoke the fires by releasing limited editions and keeping tour putters exclusive.

i'd imagine a lot of the hype originates from the fact that Tiger used the same one for (almost I think) all his major wins. if you made that putter you can hardly escape hype.

the serious enthusiasts I don't really comprehend, but that's the same for collectors of a wide variety of things.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
I might be sounded defensive of the scotty brand in here, I am a little yes, IMO his putters are the best and I play and collect them. But over the last few years I have become a little disillusioned with it all, especially the collector scene, he can put his name on anything and it will sell. The forum is not what it used to be 5-6 years ago, putters hardly ever get a mention now, unless its the newest, brightest, twisted welded neck etc. its all about what something is worth and people scrambling to buy something to 'flip' as soon as it arrives.

The thing that does get my back up about threads like this is the bashing of people on a personal level. I must be stupid for spending big money on my collection, but then I have that money to spend, so maybe im not so stupid after all?? maybe I just work hard, earn my money and spend it on what I like!??

Absolutely. I never say anyone shouldn't collect his merchandise, just I don't understand the motivation.

I take it some people, who'd got into collecting early scored big time with the appreciation in value to current levels fr tour rat putters etc?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
IMO his putters are the best

A definition of 'best' is required!

Apart from a tiny bit of wiggle-room/testing, I don't believe you can really be a 'Collector' and a 'User' simultaneously btw. I've never been into 'collecting' Putters, though I've had a 'collection' and tried loads out!

For those that you are likely to use, the question about why subsequent Scottys need to be bought if the first is 'best' is a pretty good one!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 18588

I use a Scotty, it's the best putter I have ever owned. It cost me £200 and I would happily spend another £200 if it ever needed replacing, unless I found a better putter then I'd buy that.

Frankly I don't give a damn what anyone else might think because judging someone on the kit they own is more a reflection on the judge than the judged.

Hear! hear!!

Never judge a book by its cover. Personally I have never liked or rated either Nike orTM kit but I would not dismiss those who do and use that kit as anything but fellow golfers.

I currently own several putters including Ping, Odyssey, Wilson, MD & a Scotty. Each has its own attractions and appeal but cost and so called exclusivity has nothing to do with that.

Scotty_Tom

Assistant Pro
Visit site
A definition of 'best' is required!

again, IMO, I would say the best value ;) best quality, and some of the real made for tour, hand worked to how a player wanted it are the best looking putters. 1000x better than the modern machine milled Rat.

I have tried others, odysseys, ping, Cleveland etc, but ive always preferred a scotty.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
again, IMO, I would say the best value ;) best quality, and some of the real made for tour, hand worked to how a player wanted it are the best looking putters. 1000x better than the modern machine milled Rat.

Well, lets just agree to disagree!

No! I can't quite do that! I think you are talking cods-wollop! But you are entitled to believe what you want.

The latest Black Newport is a very 'sexy' looking putter though.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Supply and demand...

I should have suffixed my statement with 'for actual use' as opposed to 'for a collector'.

Indeed, price simply reflects 'Supply and Demand'. The 'Purpose' is irrelevant. And the obscene prices for CircleTs are, imo, created by Collectors, not 'Gamers'!

And those prices haven't harmed (for Titleist) the prices that asked for Retail Scottys.

shivas irons

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
without sounding too defensive, and not aiming this specifically at you, but your comment is typical of a lot of people who don't know about something, who pass off a comment that is ridiculous and then taken on board an believed by haters, which is then used to bash something even more!!

A conference for a pitch repairer is far from the truth! there are two main events in the US every year, first of all the PGA show. one of Scotty's long time friends and distributer has a booth at the show concerned with all things Cameron. Scotty makes a lot of fancy and expensive putters for that event and they sell out instantly. There is also loads of other putters, tour / ltd / OTR for sale, as well as headcovers, t shirts, jumpers, pitch repairer tools, ball marker etc!

The second is the International Cameron Convention, where collectors from all over the US, Europe, asia and even Australia meet up in Ohio for a couple of days of golf etc. again putters / headcovers etc are produced!
Good grief whats the world coming to :rolleyes:

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
without sounding too defensive, and not aiming this specifically at you, but your comment is typical of a lot of people who don't know about something, who pass off a comment that is ridiculous and then taken on board an believed by haters, which is then used to bash something even more!!

A conference for a pitch repairer is far from the truth! there are two main events in the US every year, first of all the PGA show. one of Scotty's long time friends and distributer has a booth at the show concerned with all things Cameron. Scotty makes a lot of fancy and expensive putters for that event and they sell out instantly. There is also loads of other putters, tour / ltd / OTR for sale, as well as headcovers, t shirts, jumpers, pitch repairer tools, ball marker etc!

The second is the International Cameron Convention, where collectors from all over the US, Europe, asia and even Australia meet up in Ohio for a couple of days of golf etc. again putters / headcovers etc are produced!

I'll have to put it on my bucket list, along with a Star Trek convention and a hot air ballooning seminar ;)

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Overpriced is the biggest bone of contention. I got an odyssey milled putter which is everything the similar shaped Scotty is but I paid £165 instead of £225 in the same store for identical looking models. Also, why do Camerons seem to come with a really nasty corded grip or a cheap feeling rubber one?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Thing is regarding tour issue putters, Scotty isn't the only one that releases them:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAND-NEW...21331386123?pt=Golf_Clubs&hash=item338860ef0b

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Piret...00995514643?pt=Golf_Clubs&hash=item4614bb1113

Non of these are what you'd call cheap.

Truly ridiculous prices!

I've bought and sold a few 'n of m' Bettinardis and there is nothing really different about (almost all of) them from an actual use point of view.

And to purchase, for use, a 'made for <playerX>' should add nothing to a Putter's value from a playing point of view. As, apart from now being a reject, any tweaks made for that player will almost certainly not be appropriate for you, so you are knowingly paying more than required, for a Putter that is almost certainly not 'best' for you...absolutely daft! Purchasing it for a Collecting reason is somewhat different though!

Both my 'for use' Putters are 'limited runs' (a 1/24 and a 1 off) and a couple of my spares are Custom Built (for other people!) ones, so I'm not averse to a bit of 'different-ness'!

Like cars and virtually everything else, Putters are sold on brand image. And Scotty's brand image is #1. But, imo, he's getting away with what the Jaguar X-Type (and DB9) weren't able to!

D

Deleted member 15344

I might be sounded defensive of the scotty brand in here, I am a little yes, IMO his putters are the best and I play and collect them. But over the last few years I have become a little disillusioned with it all, especially the collector scene, he can put his name on anything and it will sell. The forum is not what it used to be 5-6 years ago, putters hardly ever get a mention now, unless its the newest, brightest, twisted welded neck etc. its all about what something is worth and people scrambling to buy something to 'flip' as soon as it arrives.

The thing that does get my back up about threads like this is the bashing of people on a personal level. I must be stupid for spending big money on my collection, but then I have that money to spend, so maybe im not so stupid after all?? maybe I just work hard, earn my money and spend it on what I like!??

It's the same as the way people who purchase TM get a proper bashing or any manufacturer

Will never understand why anyone would be negative about a manufacturer - if someone does like a SC or a TM or a Ping etc the don't buy the item - no one is ever forced into to buying an item of golf and it's always someone own choice - there is never a right or wrong answer - only personal opinion

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Overpriced is the biggest bone of contention. I got an odyssey milled putter which is everything the similar shaped Scotty is but I paid £165 instead of £225 in the same store for identical looking models. Also, why do Camerons seem to come with a really nasty corded grip or a cheap feeling rubber one?

That corded grip (if of course you are referring to the same one I have on mine) is great, if my next putter isn't a Scotty, I'd want that grip on it

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Scotty Cameron makes fine putters. Lots of Tour players who have a huge choice choose them. If any GM forum member thinks they are too expensive or whatever, they have plenty of other choices.

Cameron putters started as hand made one offs, and in the 90s, a lot of good players started to use them, and after Tiger won the 97 Masters with a Teryllium model, they really took off. There are only a certain number of head shapes possible, so some Camerons look like other makes. 6 of one, half a dozen of the other. But he has introduced (with varying success) other head shapes. It took Nike a very long time to make one that Tiger was willing to give up his Cameron for.

The collecting thing is big in the US and Japan. I used to collect them and had a load of Tour player putters. You may or may not like the idea of owning a putter certified as being owned by a major winner, but I did. Now I have sold them all off, but I really enjoyed having them when I did. I also have a few Scotty ball markers, but don't collect the other stuff.

I have also been to the Collectors Convention in the US (when I was able to schedule some business nearby), and it was great. Scotty was there and spent loads of time with the attendees, and told some great stories about Lee Trevino modifying his Cameron with a drill and by jamming the head in the hinge of his hotel room door to bend it. I was also at the UK version, covered in GM a couple of editions ago. That was great too. Fun people, great putters and no pretensions or flash.

Some people buy a Tour Rat or other Tour putter for $2000, but then often sell it for much the same. If you can afford it, why not? OK, the intrinsic value of the materials is only a fraction, but so too is the value of the canvas and paint on a rare oil painting, or a first edition of Superman comic.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I've never doubted the quality of Scotty putters -apart from the grips....
I had a RedX for a while and it was ok, to me nothing special but not bad. Certainly nothing that would have made me part with the amount of cash a new one would cost.
And that is where I believe the flak comes from.
If you want a new Scotty you need to shell out 150 quid or more - don't know the actual cost - but Gaz paid 200 for his.
You can get a new Ping/Odyssey for a lot less than 100 notes.
Now it's not going to feel the same, that's obvious, but they will do a similar job. If you could get a new Scotty for £85 then the top dollar models would be seen as that - top dollar models as per Ping and Odysseys high price ones.
There have been cheap(ish), middle and expensive versions of Odyssey heads but there's only ever 1 version of a Scotty...an expensive one.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
It's the same as the way people who purchase TM get a proper bashing or any manufacturer

Will never understand why anyone would be negative about a manufacturer - if someone does like a SC or a TM or a Ping etc the don't buy the item - no one is ever forced into to buying an item of golf and it's always someone own choice - there is never a right or wrong answer - only personal opinion

I would never criticise anyone who bought anything if they make a reasoned decision - whatever the reason is.

I would, however, challenge some of the reason/reasoning! All of this (except the IMO of course) for example