Ping Anser v Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Meeksy1

Visit site
Hi. I’m going to change my putter soon and will either buy a Ping Anser or Scotty Newport 2. The Scotty is £100 more expensive. Is it worth the extra money or is a Ping Anser just as good? Cheers.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Hi. I’m going to change my putter soon and will either buy a Ping Anser or Scotty Newport 2. The Scotty is £100 more expensive. Is it worth the extra money or is a Ping Anser just as good? Cheers.

If you put exactly the same stroke on it, the Anser will be just as good.
But then so will a £9.99 one

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Probably not better at all since they are so similar.
Putters of that style are not that easy to use well in my opinion, not the most forgiving and a steel face can be a bit firey.
Agreed 100% with this.

There was a study a couple of years back showing even pros were better using a balanced mallet. For some of course it's the look, but not for me.

Have you not looked at any of the softer faced Odyssey's?

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site

If buying new then find somewhere that does putting fitting and buy one that best suits your stroke.

The Scotty isn’t £100 better than the Ping. And I say that as a Newport owner.

The Scotty will likely hold it’s value should you ever want to sell it.

Brechin balata

Medal Winner
Visit site
When it comes to putters for me its all about the look is and how well you distant control is.this is no doubt down to the weight of the putter. I’ve had expensive putter that weren’t the right weight for me and my distant control was way off.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I moved from a soft-faced Odyssey Marxman Mini to a steel faced Scotty Cameron mallet and am putting so much better with it.
I used to struggle putting with the Marxman using ProV1s or TP5s as I found the insert was softening the impact too much.
Putters are a very personal thing and the club you will use most often every time you play golf.
Get fitted, or at least try a few out, before spending all your hard-earned money.

Brechin balata

Medal Winner
Visit site
When it comes to putters for me its all about the look and feel. I’ve had expensive putter that were to heavy or to light for my stroke. Find one that you consistently get the distant to hole right and go with that o

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Definitely not worth the money if you are judging it on its function as a putter. If you prefer the looks of it, and consider that wortg the extra 100, then you should get it. But you could beat Nicklaus's majors record with the Anser. And even it is way over priced for its production cost.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Buy the putter that makes your heart beat a little bit faster when you pick it up.

As I've said elsewhere....you've got to LOVE your putter. :LOL:

Once you love it, it will do no wrong in your eyes.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Putting was the worst part of my game and I estimate on having 10 putters in the last 5 years trying all different lengths, head shapes and so on. In the end I had a fitting in the sam lab and have never putted so well. Before you pull the trigger I’d strongly recommend a lab fitting just so you know the type, then visit a pro shop with as many brands as poss to try your specs

I would have never spent the money I spent on the scotty but I was given my spec by the fitter, the visited s large independent trying 4 brands with that spec, I almost walked out with the ping which was 200 less but it just didn’t quite tick the boxes that the scotty did.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
...The Scotty is £100 more expensive. Is it worth the extra money...
Almost certainly not. But if it works better for you, then Yes!
... or is a Ping Anser just as good?
Very probably! But above also applies.
There are several other mainstream 'Anser' style putters that are also worth considering. I'd advise going to somewhere, like AG, that has a putting area and trying several out.
You might also find that an Anser style is not really 'the best' for you too! It took me some time to realise that a 33" Centre Shafted Mallet worked best for me!