Scotty Cameron bashing

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Scotty Cameron makes fine putters. Lots of Tour players who have a huge choice choose them. If any GM forum member thinks they are too expensive or whatever, they have plenty of other choices.

Cameron putters started as hand made one offs, and in the 90s, a lot of good players started to use them, and after Tiger won the 97 Masters with a Teryllium model, they really took off. There are only a certain number of head shapes possible, so some Camerons look like other makes. 6 of one, half a dozen of the other. But he has introduced (with varying success) other head shapes. It took Nike a very long time to make one that Tiger was willing to give up his Cameron for.

The collecting thing is big in the US and Japan. I used to collect them and had a load of Tour player putters. You may or may not like the idea of owning a putter certified as being owned by a major winner, but I did. Now I have sold them all off, but I really enjoyed having them when I did. I also have a few Scotty ball markers, but don't collect the other stuff.

I have also been to the Collectors Convention in the US (when I was able to schedule some business nearby), and it was great. Scotty was there and spent loads of time with the attendees, and told some great stories about Lee Trevino modifying his Cameron with a drill and by jamming the head in the hinge of his hotel room door to bend it. I was also at the UK version, covered in GM a couple of editions ago. That was great too. Fun people, great putters and no pretensions or flash.

Some people buy a Tour Rat or other Tour putter for $2000, but then often sell it for much the same. If you can afford it, why not? OK, the intrinsic value of the materials is only a fraction, but so too is the value of the canvas and paint on a rare oil painting, or a first edition of Superman comic.

Does he call himself Scotty or by his real name? Just out of curiosity.

Bet he has a number of interesting stories the amount of players using his putters.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Wow, this thread took off while I was away...:p

I'll state again for clarification purposes.. I DO NOT think that SC putters are over-priced. In fact, considering the fan base, I could make a good argument for them being under-priced. I do however think they are over-hyped, as per the original intention of this thread (and the thread that started it - still strange that no other OEM has had a thread started from the original thread).

I DO NOT think that anyone who buys one is stupid (why would I? I bought one.) I do think that there is a significant percentage of people however, who buy one for the wrong reason. I'm sure that there are people for whom a SC putter would be the best option. I'm also sure that there are quite a few people for whom a SC putter would be the BEST LOOKING option.

In summary, Scotty Cameron putters - they're a bit "Emporer's new clothes" for some people... But not all people obviously. ;)

Oh, and as someone stated previously, Sea Mist isn't a colour. It's a weather event....:smirk:

Last edited:

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Scotty Cameron makes fine putters. Lots of Tour players who have a huge choice choose them. If any GM forum member thinks they are too expensive or whatever, they have plenty of other choices.

Cameron putters started as hand made one offs, and in the 90s, a lot of good players started to use them, and after Tiger won the 97 Masters with a Teryllium model, they really took off. There are only a certain number of head shapes possible, so some Camerons look like other makes. 6 of one, half a dozen of the other. But he has introduced (with varying success) other head shapes. It took Nike a very long time to make one that Tiger was willing to give up his Cameron for.

The collecting thing is big in the US and Japan. I used to collect them and had a load of Tour player putters. You may or may not like the idea of owning a putter certified as being owned by a major winner, but I did. Now I have sold them all off, but I really enjoyed having them when I did. I also have a few Scotty ball markers, but don't collect the other stuff.

I have also been to the Collectors Convention in the US (when I was able to schedule some business nearby), and it was great. Scotty was there and spent loads of time with the attendees, and told some great stories about Lee Trevino modifying his Cameron with a drill and by jamming the head in the hinge of his hotel room door to bend it. I was also at the UK version, covered in GM a couple of editions ago. That was great too. Fun people, great putters and no pretensions or flash.

Some people buy a Tour Rat or other Tour putter for $2000, but then often sell it for much the same. If you can afford it, why not? OK, the intrinsic value of the materials is only a fraction, but so too is the value of the canvas and paint on a rare oil painting, or a first edition of Superman comic.

so they are that good Lee went medieval on it's a$$- that's good enough for me :rolleyes:

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
You're going to be very disappointed the next time you go shopping for paint at Homebase, or buy a new car...

Fortunately I have all my paint mixed for me by a painter and decorator relative.. And my cars always end up dirty road coloured after a few weeks, no matter what they start out as..:D

bluetoon

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Another Scotty lover here.

However, it's on the naughty step at the moment after being outperformed by a £30 ebay odyssey No7. It better buck up soon or it's for the high jump.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I once spent an afternoon sailing (well, motoring) through a Haar when I sailed round the coast of Wales one Summer as a kid on a friends boat. Quite possibly the spookiest thing I've ever seen. :thup:

First time I broke 80 East Lothians were blanketed in one. I played Mortonhall where it was about 15' off the ground! Strange to play a shot, then wait for it to appear out of the cloud! Probably scored well because there was no point trying to follow the ball, so just kept head stable!

MasterCard Tournament at Whitekirk was called off after 1 round too.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I kind of sit on the fence here. I have 2 SC putters, one i thought was a huge error when I bought it and another I got off the bay and did a bit work on.
I was really looking forward to the Del Mar's reinstatement in the SC line, and I bought one thinking this will be good. When I got it I was not that impressed to put it mildly (in fact I put up a scathing review and got all kinds of grief). I put the putter away thinking I'll sell that at a later date and make back what I paid (guys .. you don't on the ordinary models fact of life, don't pay anywhere near new prices for a used SC from the off the shelf range, you have paid too much!!). So it sat in my office with several other putters whilst I used a couple of Yes putters with mild success. However the summer went on and our greens became really quick, and I mean lighteningly quick! The Yes putters were just too heavy and it was just getting a little too hard. So I pulled the Del Mar out and gave it the second chance, it suited these greens perfectly I had regained my distance and pace control... is that only due to the SC, no this is a blade putter had I had a similar putter made the same way of which there are many the results, I dare say would be the same. The fact of the matter was this was just sitting around being unused.
The second SC was just a low end punt on ebay, I was looking for something a little heavier for the winter and thought this will be okay ... I have had great fun tidying it up and playing with it.
I don't get the tour stuff and the twisted hosel stuff.. not interested, customisation with colours is fun, do it yourself and do it your way with no limits. Stamps are deeply personal and can go wrong so too much hassle...
The headcover stuff is just a nuisance, you can't buy them from the store because the speculators just buy up the stock, however you can get reasonable ones and there is a naughty chinese copy or two out there (frankly its a head cover counter fit doesn't bother me, I think the designers asking so much is just as ethically dubious ... especially when they making in sweatshops!)

JohnF

Club Champion
Visit site
Well the wife just bought me the Newport 2.6 today for my Christmas, I'm over the moon my first scotty.
Playing on Sunday so Will let you know how it behaves on a course.