Scotty Cameron bashing

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
whatever you say swinger, but i bet you i've spent less cash on putters than you have in the last 5 years let alone the last few months if your sig is up-to-date... a (new!) Odyssey you say... it must have cost you gazillions and i bow to your superior status of owning a (new!) putter... did i ([/]you) mention it was (new!) :rolleyes: (new!) you say. COOL. wish i didn't have to read so much into your sig that i have to subconciously have a conversation with myself about how your (new!) putter is soooo worth the gazillions you paid for it. all assumsions are based on the inclusion of (new!) in your sig. i only infer your going on about your (new!) putter based on the unavoidable fact you have mentioned it at the end of EVERY single post you've made since you added it to your sig. talk about going on about a putter...:whistle:

Don't think I mention it that much. And only bought it as it was recommended as being closest thing I'd likely find to my old one. Cost me far too much. When I set out to buy one I didn't want to spend more than £60 - but hey ho - I had money in the shop from a couple of comp wins and so didn't need to add much on top. I don't spend very much on gear and don't expect to change it for at least 10yrs.

D

Deleted member 1147

I had an Scotty (the X5 iirc), it was a good putter, but after the Ping/GM fitting at FoA it turns out it was the wrong style of putter for my stroke.

I feel that Scotty's are similar to Vokeys, Mizzys, Titleist and all other "top end" brands. They are seen as being the better clubs for the better player, and I suppose they will be overly criticised as a result of that, after all we do generally give excessive criticism to the best (see Tiger, Man Utd, Leicster RFC etc).

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Im a Scotty Cameron user, not because its a Scotty but (currently) its the putter I putt best with. As plenty on here know I go through putters a fair bit, I like to change them, and have had over 10+ different ones in the last few years. Ultimately the 2 that have survived in the bag for long spells over that period have both been Scotty Camerons. The reason the current one wins out for me is its the only full mallet Ive found with a milled face that doesnt look totally hideous (a hard combination to find), that said the putter I got on with least was also a Scotty and that was moved on pretty quickly.

It seems a fair bit of the anti to them is about them being collectors items to some people, again not something I get, putters are for getting the ball in the hole not hanging on the wall but not sure why people have a negative people of their putters because some people choose to collect them, as for the circle T prices, utterly ludicrous but I guess its a supply and demand thing, very few of them and enough people stupid enought to pay the prices.

And to the person whos initial reaction to someone using a Scotty Cameron putter is "that they are a bit of a tit" - are you this judgemental in all forms of life? each to their own i guess

rob2

Head Pro
Visit site
And to the person whos initial reaction to someone using a Scotty Cameron putter is "that they are a bit of a tit" - are you this judgemental in all forms of life?

Not at all. It is limited to:

- (Some) Scotty users
- Anyone who wears Crocs
- Anyone with a number plate squished up to make it read like something else

Apart from that, live and let live! :D

Rob

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Scotty Cameron putters....blow £250 plus and you'll be a better putter and most of you guys fall for it

Yes, yes because buying a Scotty Cameron instantly makes your PPR figures that of Tiger Woods :rolleyes:

Buy a well balanced putter you are comfortable with for £50-£70 and PRACTICE WITH IT!!!

Are Scotty putters not well balanced? Why only £50-£70? Is practice not required if you buy a Scotty? :rolleyes:

Bit of a strange argument that :mmm:

Last edited:

shivas irons

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Yes, yes because buying a Scotty Cameron instantly makes your PPR figures that of Tiger Woods :rolleyes:

Are Scotty putters not well balanced? Why only £50-£70? Is practice not required if you buy a Scotty? :rolleyes:

Bit of a strange argument that :mmm:
Why only £50-£70, thats the point isnt it..good grief :rolleyes: YOU CAN PUTT JUST AS WELL WITHOUT A DESIGNER PUTTER!!!! Lets face it most hackers use an SC cos they think it looks good in their bag......

Last edited:

bobcat

Visit site
I'll say it...

I hated my Scotty Newport putter...

For whatever reason could never commit, always left them short...

Swopped to a Rife...absolutely superb

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
This is a really interesting thread which quite clearly exposes peoples prejudices and pre-conceived ideas. As with all things in life commodities/consumables vary in price and quality, think Ford v Bentley, M&S jumpers V Boss, Timex V Rolex. You pays your money and you takes your choice, if you can afford £200,000.00 for a car, £300.00 for a Jumper or £25,000.00 for a watch then good luck to you, will it get you there quicker, keep you warmer or keep more accurate time I rather doubt it.

Personally if I want to spend £200+ on a putter its my money and i will do so if I wish, do I think it makes me a better putter than someone who putts with a rolled up brolly, I most certainly do not. Does that make me a t*t, better wait for the view of the k**b who expounded that opinion in the first place.

D

Deleted member 15344

I have absolutely zero issue with people being brand loyal or other manufactureres being hyped.

I just find it strange, when it comes to putters that the Scotty Cameron comes in for so much flack.

I'm not sure why any manufacturer gets any flak about any club hence why i have no idea why so many go mental when TM release club

As for Scotty's - they are good putters but I just haven't found one I like for a decent price. They are built very well but I can't justify the price when they can't perform better for me than my Spider or any other putters I have had. If I found one I liked and felt nice etc then I would possibly think about getting one.

JezzE

GM Staff
Visit site
This is a really interesting thread which quite clearly exposes peoples prejudices and pre-conceived ideas. As with all things in life commodities/consumables vary in price and quality, think Ford v Bentley, M&S jumpers V Boss, Timex V Rolex. You pays your money and you takes your choice, if you can afford £200,000.00 for a car, £300.00 for a Jumper or £25,000.00 for a watch then good luck to you, will it get you there quicker, keep you warmer or keep more accurate time I rather doubt it.

Personally if I want to spend £200+ on a putter its my money and i will do so if I wish, do I think it makes me a better putter than someone who putts with a rolled up brolly, I most certainly do not. Does that make me a t*t, better wait for the view of the k**b who expounded that opinion in the first place.

Words of very great wisdom indeed!

Personally, I had never owned a Scotty till this year, but there's no doubt that I've putted pretty well the last few months with it. Is that because it's a Scotty, or more that I've got a putter the right length and style for my stroke? Couldn't really say for sure, but for now, it's giving me a great deal of confidence so I'm not too bothered either way!

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site

What he said...

Scotty_Tom

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have more scotty camerons than I care to admit to but I understand some of the flack people dish out.

the main reason is probably that they are consistently more expensive than any other main manufacturer's equivalent range, yet the performance that an amateur gets out of them means there really is nothing that you're getting for the extra outlay performance wise. essentially you're perceived to be buying it for the name. and hence they will also perceive you to be in the "more money than sense" / "all the gear no idea" camp which always attracts mockers.

Well put!

Scotty_Tom

Assistant Pro
Visit site

I think everyone should read this! well put and my thoughts exactly.

There are always people who are going to look at what you have, no matter what it is, and make some kind of negative comment.

D

Deleted member 1147

... it's giving me a great deal of confidence so I'm not too bothered either way!

The key thing with most golf clubs, but particularly the putter.

If it gives you confidence and you putt well with it, and you can afford it, any putter is worth the money. No matter what brand, it is the right club for you.