Scotty Cameron bashing

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
For me, i dont personally bash them like some people do with them or other brands, what stopped me from buying one was it was technically no better than say a ping, TM, odysey etc etc etc. quality wise, materials, feel. and because of that, the higher price tag was not deserved in my opinion.

Plus the whole cult following with different head covers etc, not my cup of tea. but that doesnt bother me, each to their own!

BUT... if i had of found a scotty that felt better than anything else, i would have bought it. not because of the name, but because it was the best putter for ME.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I don't get the crazy money for the head covers!! who actually benefits from this? it seems like its the guys who are flogging them 2nd hand.

I think Gareth made a great point. Since SC doesn't make a budget putter, a lot of people pick one up, say ''its quite nice'', have a putt, miss the hole and say nah, ''its no better than my own putter''.

What they are really saying is, ''it doesn't make me a better putter''. Of course it doesn't. Its a putter, not Harry Potter's Magic Wand. :whistle:

rob2

Head Pro
Visit site
I have more scotty camerons than I care to admit to but I understand some of the flack people dish out.

the main reason is probably that they are consistently more expensive than any other main manufacturer's equivalent range, yet the performance that an amateur gets out of them means there really is nothing that you're getting for the extra outlay performance wise. essentially you're perceived to be buying it for the name. and hence they will also perceive you to be in the "more money than sense" / "all the gear no idea" camp which always attracts mockers.

A reasoned and well considered response.

A Scotty owner NOT on the "tit" list :D

Rob

the smiling assassin

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Having moved from a Cleveland classic (£59) to an equivalent design SC Newport (£159) there ABSOLUTELY is a difference in build quality and feel. I liked my Cleveland a lot, but the finish deteriorated quickly and it started to look tired after a season or two. Moving the the Newport, there was a vast difference in the feel of the putter, the whole package was on a different level. Again, I liked the Cleveland, but the roll and feel I get from the SC is in a different league. 5 and a half years on, the SC still looks great. Both putters were well looked after but it's clear which has a build quality that is built to last.

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
IMO they just are not worth the extra money

My current TM putter was £60 and is awesome.

I dont mind paying extra for quality (For smart causual attire, I only wear Hugo Boss trainers, nothing else, ever) but with the scottys, I just dont think you gain anything from the price premium you pay.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
For me, i dont personally bash them like some people do with them or other brands, what stopped me from buying one was it was technically no better than say a ping, TM, odysey etc etc etc. quality wise, materials, feel. and because of that, the higher price tag was not deserved in my opinion.

Plus the whole cult following with different head covers etc, not my cup of tea. but that doesnt bother me, each to their own!

BUT... if i had of found a scotty that felt better than anything else, i would have bought it. not because of the name, but because it was the best putter for ME.

didn't you get your yes! putter from yet another comp win you lucky so and so? :rofl:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I think there is an opinion that some Scotty owners like to have them just so they can say 'I use a Scotty Cameron'. It's a premium brand that will spawn brand snobbery in some people, determined to have it just so they can show it off.

For me, having owned one in the past, they have great looks and construction, but don't perform any better than other milled putters at a cheaper price point.

Horses for courses.

...and I probably sit on this horse with you

BoadieBroadus

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
A reasoned and well considered response.

A Scotty owner NOT on the "tit" list :D

Rob

that is the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me on this board!!

I admit to liking a scotty, but i'll also admit to being easily parted from my money.

and i'll admit to currently playing a TM putter

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Having moved from a Cleveland classic (£59) to an equivalent design SC Newport (£159) there ABSOLUTELY is a difference in build quality and feel. I liked my Cleveland a lot, but the finish deteriorated quickly and it started to look tired after a season or two. Moving the the Newport, there was a vast difference in the feel of the putter, the whole package was on a different level. Again, I liked the Cleveland, but the roll and feel I get from the SC is in a different league. 5 and a half years on, the SC still looks great. Both putters were well looked after but it's clear which has a build quality that is built to last.

It's a putter?

And when did you have a putter that did not last? - whatever that means. Anyway - it's not my money but I really don't want to hear folks going on about how their SC is sooooo worth the gazillions they paid for it.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
one thing I really do detest about scottys are their grips, hard thin slippy with no feel.........just my opinion though but it's the most important opinion in the world...to me.:smirk:

shivas irons

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Scotty Cameron putters....blow £250 plus and you'll be a better putter and most of you guys fall for it :rolleyes:.Buy a well balanced putter you are comfortable with for £50-£70 and PRACTICE WITH IT!!!

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Another thing I don't understand is when people have more than one Scotty. If the first one was so good, why did you need the second (and third, fourth etc).....;)

the smiling assassin

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It's a putter?

And when did you have a putter that did not last? - whatever that means. Anyway - it's not my money but I really don't want to hear folks going on about how their SC is sooooo worth the gazillions they paid for it.

whatever you say swinger, but i bet you i've spent less cash on putters than you have in the last 5 years let alone the last few months if your sig is up-to-date... a (new!) Odyssey you say... it must have cost you gazillions and i bow to your superior status of owning a (new!) putter... did i ([/]you) mention it was (new!) :rolleyes: (new!) you say. COOL. wish i didn't have to read so much into your sig that i have to subconciously have a conversation with myself about how your (new!) putter is soooo worth the gazillions you paid for it. all assumsions are based on the inclusion of (new!) in your sig. i only infer your going on about your (new!) putter based on the unavoidable fact you have mentioned it at the end of EVERY single post you've made since you added it to your sig. talk about going on about a putter...:whistle:

Last edited:

shivas irons

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Another thing I don't understand is when people have more than one Scotty. If the first one was so good, why did you need the second (and third, fourth etc).....;)
Further to that mate a lot of people ditch there old faithful putters for a SC and cant get on with them, there a fashion/keep up with the joneses statement......

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site

A great point, there are probably a few people out there who made that minuscule forward head movement and opened their mouth as if to say something; and found they had no words.

:D

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

please see you post about wanting your mp 32s back. At least these guys have the sense not to move these things on! ;)

As Cedric the PIMP would say, ''why have one ho, when I can have ten ?? '' :whoo:

D

Deleted Member 1156

I am the complete opposite to you. My Cleveland looks brand new after a couple of year's use and it both feels and rolls the ball better than the Newport it replaced. It also sits better behind the ball as the Newport naturally fell into a 'toe in' position when placed behind the ball whereas the Cleveland sits exactly where it is positioned.

the smiling assassin

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
i did buy it about 8 or 9 years ago - i imagine cleveland must have improved their product finish since then if they want to be taken seriously in the market. comparing the two i have is simply not a fair game, the SC is just leagues ahead. lovely. suits my eye.