Scottish Fitba'

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
It was fantastic, first half in particular, but a bit of recency bias there.
Not in the least. We were incredible start to finish. I don;t recall the ukraine game so presumably one that was on a channel I didn't have, but that was better than the French wins where we were backs to the wall, the England wins, that was as good as we've ever played imo

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
My head hurts; my ears are still ringing; my hips hurt (too much jumping up and down I suspect), and my voice is more than a wee bit croaky - but hell - am sitting in a cafe in Hillsborough and I smiling thinking back on last night. Anyway…back to life…back to reality…????????

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Just that 50 years is a long time and we’ve had some decent performances in that period....

Immediately, a sensational 3-1 win over Spain comes to mind (do I remember it too fondly because I was there? Maybe) and a pretty decent 3-2 vs Holland.

Anyway, don’t want to detract from your point it was a great performance and the best one in a long time!
No not at all, I put it out there to be countered. The Holland win was indeed superb, tempered though by not being enough to get us through, but omg when Gemmill scored. I was 12 at the time, oh boy were the goosebumps and adrenaline going, only for Ari Haan to kill us off :(

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just that 50 years is a long time and we’ve had some decent performances in that period....

Immediately, a sensational 3-1 win over Spain comes to mind (do I remember it too fondly because I was there? Maybe) and a pretty decent 3-2 vs Holland.

Anyway, don’t want to detract from your point it was a great performance and the best one in a long time!

This may also be the case with myself and the Ukraine game. Not only was I there, it was my birthday and it had followed on from attending terrible draws against Slovenia and Lithuania. Ukraine were a solid and reliable team back then with the likes of Shevchenko, Voronin, Tymoshuk et al.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
1983 was last time I was at a Scotland game and so have not experienced first hand the disappointments and frustrations of the recent decades. But after last night I want more of that please. My brother told me that the sound of the crowd on TV is nothing like being at Hampden. He was absolutely right. And I’ll add that I’d heard lots of moans over the years about how far you felt from play in the ends. Well we were quite high up the Celtic end behind the goals and I had no complaints whatsoever…the ground and the crowd look superb.

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It was fantastic, first half in particular, but a bit of recency bias there.

Bodes well - the manager's done a great job.
Sitting here in the cave eating large plate of HUMBLE PIE a la my criticisms of Steve Clarke!
So, here goes,-Mr. Clarke if you happen to read these pages then you will have noticed that I have been less than charitable in my opinions re your management and motivational skills.
May I take this opportunity to apologise to yourself publicly for doubting your both your appointment and skillsets as I now realise that at times you must have been been as frustrated as the rest of the support with the way results were going and the way we were playing (or rather, not playing)
Let's hope that given some lucky breaks, you'll be able to keep this nucleus of players together and progress them all further on the world stage.
Yours sincerely.........One of no patience and high hopes
P.S.; I've worked out your age 'Scratch Girl':whistle:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I don't think it is though, only for the semi, the final is luck of the draw, which is a shame as we're #2 seed so by rights should have both potential games at home.
I think that in next week‘s draw for the semi opponents at the same time the draw for home/away for the winners of each semi is made. I am guessing that this is needed to give associations notice of potentially a second play off match at home as I think the finals are played soon after the semis. So we find out next week whether or not we’ll be at Hampden for a final if we win our semi. Could easy be wrong in that though.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
I don't think it is though, only for the semi, the final is luck of the draw, which is a shame as we're #2 seed so by rights should have both potential games at home.
I've phrased that badly - yep we're seeded for the semi so at home and there is a draw for home advantage for the final