Scots Householders Only

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Don't think you need to change the mains ones, only the ones with 10 year lithium batteries.
You need to change the 9 volt backup battery in the mains version every so often.
They usually beep every minute when the battery needs changed.
Every council house in Scotland has had the same mains smoke alarms for at least 30 years. .

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
£422 it's cost me. All because I didn't have one interlinked smoke alarm in my living room. The uphieval to retro fit one was too much so we've gone for wireless interlinked AICO ones.

One of the guys at work isn't bothering as insurance companies are saying ' we don't ask what type of alarm you have'. Told him he'd better get that in writing, but he's comfortable it's not required for his home insurance. I'm not so sure.
Andrew Morton on twitter (an insurance expert) has confirmed this.

All to do with policies being UK wide, so they won't write separate policies purely to cover Scotland. You also have to say on your application form whether you have smoke alarms or not, until you see "do you have linked smoke alarms" then you're fine, and double also, you just say no I have no alarms. Take a long time before your premiums rise so far that you'd be cheaper getting the alarms.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Don't think you need to change the mains ones, only the ones with 10 year lithium batteries.
You need to change the 9 volt backup battery in the mains version every so often.
They usually beep every minute when the battery needs changed.
Every council house in Scotland has had the same mains smoke alarms for at least 30 years. .

No you still need to change the heads on the mains/battery detectors every 10 years. The Aico ones are simple though, the head slides off leaving the base on the ceiling. They also do combined heat/smoke and heat/CO units.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Anyone got any views, advice etc on which sets of Smoke/Fire/Co2 alarms to buy.
Had a look on Amazon but really no idea which is best.
Any advice appreciated.
I am not going for the electrical linked ones as I had a quote of £350 to fit 4 alarms.
Thanks

When you look at interlinked alarms on Screwfix (probably one of the cheapest reputable suppliers around) they are all around the £50 mark so £ 150 to fit seems quite reasonable to me ps you need a heat alarm for the kitchen and not a smoke alarm.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I have a mains powered system with a control box. I also have a maintenance contract where an engineer comes in and checks and maintains them along with an Automist sprinkler system.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I do not live in Scotland but having read the guides on the legislation it made install a heat alarm in the kitchen.

One of the comments I would have about it is that in my house (fairly open plan layout) I really only need one well placed smoke alarm and if people in other rooms cannot hear it they need a trip to 'hearing aids are us'.

I

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I do not live in Scotland but having read the guides on the legislation it made install a heat alarm in the kitchen.

One of the comments I would have about it is that in my house (fairly open plan layout) I really only need one well placed smoke alarm and if people in other rooms cannot hear it they need a trip to 'hearing aids are us'.

I

Would they have to wear them in bed?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
We needed 2 CM /heat in kitchen and lounge
Then 4 others dotted around the house, we were quoted almost £500 from the people of do our house alarm. Wife s looking into cheaper alternatives.