Scotland golf trip - need some straight answers!

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Check the 'golfsouthayrshire' site.
Loads of deals with a good balance of classic and VFM courses.
Abbotsford and Horizon Hotels in Ayr are good Golfing Hotels.
Remember if you are coming up in summer you can play late into the evenings. Twilight tickets at Turnberry Ailsa and Dundonald can bring them into budget. Late summer evening on Turnberry is as good as it gets.

Golf Inn at Gullane is a good base if you are doing East Lothian.

Gullane/North Berwick in the East, Ayr/Prestwick in the West.

Travel time from the Midlands to Edinburgh/Glasgow is only 5 hours.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Have you pretty much settled on Scotland? There is some really good value to be had in Ireland these days as their economy has really struggled and everyone is looking to 'do a deal' A group your size would have good bargaining power with courses and hotels.

Or another alternative might be the Lake district, Silloth and Seascale for starters?

Laughing Gravy

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Check the 'golfsouthayrshire' site.
Loads of deals with a good balance of classic and VFM courses.
Abbotsford and Horizon Hotels in Ayr are good Golfing Hotels.
Remember if you are coming up in summer you can play late into the evenings. Twilight tickets at Turnberry Ailsa and Dundonald can bring them into budget. Late summer evening on Turnberry is as good as it gets.

Golf Inn at Gullane is a good base if you are doing East Lothian.

Gullane/North Berwick in the East, Ayr/Prestwick in the West.

Travel time from the Midlands to Edinburgh/Glasgow is only 5 hours.

Thanks. yep I'll take a look at those too.

Yes have been to Edinburgh (to watch Leeds play Hibs ina friendly years ago) and remember it was 5 hours..ish

Laughing Gravy

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Have you pretty much settled on Scotland? There is some really good value to be had in Ireland these days as their economy has really struggled and everyone is looking to 'do a deal' A group your size would have good bargaining power with courses and hotels.

Or another alternative might be the Lake district, Silloth and Seascale for starters?

Over Ireland yes. I've done Ireland and was looking again for last year but with flights and then car hire the costs were taking it too high. Ireland I'll do again with a smaller party for sure at some point.

Heidi

Tour Rookie
Visit site
ducks at kilspindie do great food - not stayed there (too close to home for me!) but they also do golf packages - check them out at golfbreaks
or a caravan at seaton sands (fat tiger is your man if you want info on a caravan!)
must plays for me are dunbar (pricey tho - think its coming in about 90 notes) and north Berwick
Gullane no 2 is lovely and not a bad price
the glen
kilspindie
longniddry
royal musselburgh
for a bit of quirkieness and cheapness Gifford is a good wee 9 hole
if its dry then Haddington is lovely and they do great society deals with grub

east lothian is the place to be! ;)

Yer Maw

Head Pro
Visit site
Some of the suggestions are going to limit the number of games you get played within budget because of the green fees. I'd personally go for Fife as the amount of great courses at excellent prices, good accomodation without feeling ripped off and all half an hour from your North East Fife location will leave you very happy.

Leven and Lundin, Crail and Elie, Scotscraig and Ladybank, Maybe a couple of the St Andrews courses then a big splash on something like Kingsbarns or the Old Course. Happy hunting. I live in Central Fife and there are lots of other great courses locally. I am obviously biased.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Laughing Gravy.
I was at the Leeds/Hibs game 1967ish.
Jackie Charlton put the ball and the Hibs goalie into the nett at the end of the game to win, after Hibs had played them off the park.

A bit like a replay of the recent Hearts /Liverpool game [cough]

fat-tiger

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
gravy ,went up to dornoch in april ,courses up the are 1st class and if you play a better one than dornoch please tell me,and reasonably cheap, only trouble is theres no night life in dornoch, inverness yes ,and if went up there again would use inverness as my base,but it would include a fair bit of travelling,

went to ayrshire in june, loads of great courses but also very pricey, unless your very well off, you carnt go playing turnberry ,troon.prestwick,western gailes all in the same trip as the cheapist one of them is about £130 a round, hidden gem we all loved was bogside, and prestwick is very good for a night out

for the the last 4 yrs till this year we have done east lothian, and value for money it wins hands down, loads courses take 2-4-1's gullane 2 £21, whitekirk all day £26, the glen allday around £30, craigelaw which in all honesty looks better on the website than it does when you play it you can get on there all day with the open fairways card for around £40,dunbar which i think is a great links is worth doing, but if you mix up a couple of the cheaper ones then you can think about doing north berwick or archerfield, minibus into middle of edinburgh was only costing us about £35 for 8 of us, and its a cracking night out

Laughing Gravy

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Laughing Gravy.
I was at the Leeds/Hibs game 1967ish.
Jackie Charlton put the ball and the Hibs goalie into the nett at the end of the game to win, after Hibs had played them off the park.

A bit like a replay of the recent Hearts /Liverpool game [cough]

Dirtly Leeds? :)

Wasn't born for that one, mine was about 20 years back for a pre-season friendly. Not sure to this day what possessed us to go up for that game, perhaps the 2 nights on the lash in Edinburgh had something to do with it.

Last edited:

upanddown

Assistant Pro
Visit site
+1 for this area. Though it's Craigielaw, Luffness and Kilspindie. I'd also add Dunbar, Longniddry (though a 'semi-links') and Musselburgh/Monktonhall (pure parkland). Muirfield, Archerfield (and Renaissance) probably unvailable/out of price range though.

Accommodation is surprisingly sparce in the Gullane area, though North Berwick should have plenty available.
Kilspindie House (Ducks) is near Craigielaw and Gullane. Recently improved and may do deals on multiple night stays.

Heading through to play The Glen and Longniddry this Sunday, will let you know how it is.

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
East Lothian will probably out of the question in July due to the Open at Muirfield, great area though. I'm hoping to go back to the Marine at North Berwick next month.

For me though St Andrews is top of the list, Golfers Heaven.

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
St Andrews should be top of the list so many great courses, Scotscraig,Crail,Leven and Lundin Links,some of the oldest clubs in the world,i suppose i'm biased as i stay in the area

Laughing Gravy

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks to you all for your advice. It's appreciated for sure.

Looking like East Lothian for sure and perhaps moving further North for the subsequent trips.

Just need to narrow it down to the 5 courses and sort accommodation. Marine hotel looks too pricey. Will enquire about the Lodge at Craigelaw.

Thanks once again.

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks to you all for your advice. It's appreciated for sure.

Looking like East Lothian for sure and perhaps moving further North for the subsequent trips.

Just need to narrow it down to the 5 courses and sort accommodation. Marine hotel looks too pricey. Will enquire about the Lodge at Craigielaw.

Thanks once again.
why Scotland?plenty of top courses in the north west of England that match any up north and you don't need a translator or funny money!

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hillside, St Annes OL, Birkdale, West Lancs and maybe at a push Royal Liverpool................ not much else of note though in comparison to............well what coast of scotland and how far north are you wishing?
there's a cracking pitch and putt in southport,depends on the type of golf you like, i'm not a lover of links so some of those course don't appeal to me and yes i was tongue in cheek everyone knows SCOTLAND is the home of golf and has the best courses,you keep telling us!.