Scotland Debate

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Surely we need to give them time to deliver?

It aint going to happen overnight and neither it should.

Brown saying something would be on the table the next day was just Brown being Brown......again.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The result will only happen when the three London leaders put the pledged promises in place.
IMO if that does not happen the result is null and void.
I strongly believe that they will not be able to manage this against their MP's wishes.
Pledges that I never had a chance to consider before I cast my vote BTW.

Trust in a Tory government to do the right thing by Scotland..........lets wait and see.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
are you just going to adopt Robert The Bruce spider 'story' and just keep going till its a yes?

It was a HUGE NO at the start of the campaign and only close near the end for all the wrong reasons.

Independence was going to be forever, why cant no independence be viewed the same way?

Why on earth should it be viewed in the same way. The current electorate have 'spoken' and that is that - possibly for the current generation - so let's say 25 yrs - maybe 50yrs if you want to assume the push from the electorate just won't be there for that time. But I heard quite a few NO voters saying they were unsure so were voting NO but were also saying that they might expect a revisit of the question some time in the future.

Unless you make it impossible under law for another referendum on this matter to EVER be held - and I read Jack Straw's thoughts along these lines - why should the SNP not maintain a long term vision of an independent Scotland if that is what they want to do?

D

Deleted member 15344

The result will only happen when the three London leaders put the pledged promises in place.
IMO if that does not happen the result is null and void.
I strongly believe that they will not be able to manage this against their MP's wishes.
Pledges that I never had a chance to consider before I cast my vote BTW.

Trust in a Tory government to do the right thing by Scotland..........lets wait and see.

The result cannot be made null and void unless they found some irregularities in the voting

Scotland voted no

Time to understand your Country has spoken

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Why on earth should it be viewed in the same way. The current electorate have 'spoken' and that is that - possibly for the current generation - so let's say 25 yrs - maybe 50yrs if you want to assume the push from the electorate just won't be there for that time. But I heard quite a few NO voters saying they were unsure so were voting NO but were also saying that they might expect a revisit of the question some time in the future.

Unless you make it impossible under law for another referendum on this matter to EVER be held - and I read Jack Straw's thoughts along these lines - why should the SNP not maintain a long term vision of an independent Scotland if that is what they want to do?

because the great Alex Salmond went on an on pre referendum that all parties have agreed in writing to ACCEPT the decision of the Scottish People- he emphasised this point no doubt thinking he would win.

The SNP's whole reason for existence in to bugger up the UK by separating it so they always will, no-one is saying they cant have a vision of independent Scotland the same way the Klingon party's vision is to have their language officially recognized like their religion.:rolleyes:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
because the great Alex Salmond went on an on pre referendum that all parties have agreed in writing to ACCEPT the decision of the Scottish People- he emphasised this point no doubt thinking he would win.

The SNP's whole reason for existence in to bugger up the UK by separating it so they always will, no-one is saying they cant have a vision of independent Scotland the same way the Klingon party's vision is to have their language officially recognized like their religion.:rolleyes:

Decision is accepted - but that doesn't mean to say it can't be revisited in 25yrs or 50yrs time.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
True, but it does mean that people should stop harping on about it, and try to move forward in a way that improves things for everyone concerned.. :thup:

I agree 100%.

As a Scot who lives and works here and had my say in last week's referendum, I am happy that the Scottish people have had their say and it's time to move on.

I would like the immediate future to be about addressing the issues that impact our daily lives both here in Scotland and across the whole of the UK. When the next referendum will be (if there will ever be another one) wouldn't make my list of top 100 questions.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
True, but it does mean that people should stop harping on about it, and try to move forward in a way that improves things for everyone concerned.. :thup:

Exactly!!:thup:

Not only not moving on, but now they are crying 'fix'! and showing videos declaring the voting was rigged. Then you get the likes of doon frae troon saying its null and void as the UK govt hasn't set in stone the exact timings a few days after the decision. C'mon:rolleyes:

Not sure how many times they have to say on Camera and in writing it will happen for you to accept it-:confused:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

I absolutely agree. But let's not pretend that the objective of independence for Scotland is dead - that what we have today is somehow the settled and final outcome. It almost certainly is for a generation (25yrs+) unless something extraordinary comes up.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
So the fact that the majority that voted in the referendum voted no I s not being accepted by the Yes campaign. Normal tactic for nationalists. Time to give it a rest for at least 85 years as the vote did include 16 year olds.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
So the fact that the majority that voted in the referendum voted no I s not being accepted by the Yes campaign. Normal tactic for nationalists. Time to give it a rest for at least 85 years as the vote did include 16 year olds.

A generation is not 85yrs - 25yrs is commonly accepted. And if when today's 16yr olds are 41 - and todays 65yr olds will be 90 - that seems a reasonable timescale to look again to test any significant demand that there may be out there for independence.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Of course I accept the result and the will of the Scottish people. I am also saying is that the result was gained by last minute fag packet panic measures by the London leaders of promises that they will find hard to deliver.

That fooled perhaps 8 to 10% of voters into voting No. The result was based on those promises only for some to feel that a few days later they have been sold a pup by a snake oil salesman.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Of course I accept the result and the will of the Scottish people. I am also saying is that the result was gained by last minute fag packet panic measures by the London leaders of promises that they will find hard to deliver.

That fooled perhaps 8 to 10% of voters into voting No. The result was based on those promises only for some to feel that a few days later they have been sold a pup by a snake oil salesman.

As the No vote led in all bar 1 opinion poll in the 2 years running up to the referendum, how do you explain the No vote "being gained" by last minute actions?

Can you verify the 8-10% or is that another of your opinions....?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

Unfortunately you will never know whether the % was 8-10% or 1-2% as many who voted NO on the basis of the 'vows' given may decline to admit it. I certainly heard interviews with undecideds who said they had decided to vote NO on basis of 'vows' and if things didn't turn out as promised then there would be another vote sometime in the future. Maybe the interviewers were unlucky and only interviewed the few folks in Scotland who thought that way. Quite possible.

Fish

Banned
Visit site

That has to be biggest load of tosh I've read on here, your deluded!

This "fag packet" comment is also pathetic and everyone has jumped on it as they have nothing original or factual to say, its like the old saying, people who start loosing an argument revert to abuse, this is what's happening on view with those that voted yes and simply can't accept it.

I sat up and watched the votes coming in and posted them, the percentages were huge, not even marginal in most area's, even Glasgow was a surprise at how shallow the margin was and strong SNP area's also voted no, so, I think you do your countrymen no favours if you think that the tens of thousands of people in each area that voted no were duped at the last minute, its almost laughable, in-fact it is, here you go :rofl: