Scotland Debate

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why is it ridiculous - feelings are running very high right now something could spark something bigger off.

If it sounds ridiculous and looks ridiculous, it's ridiculous...

Just a bunch of neds with a few flags, songs and 24hrs straight on the drink. Everyone will be back at work on Monday as normal.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just a bunch of neds with a few flags, songs and 24hrs straight on the drink. Everyone will be back at work on Monday as normal.

I'd have expected much the same of most towns/Cities in England TBH.. Some people just like to make a nuisance, then go home and sleep it off...

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Wow you're going back , it closed about 40 years ago. They sold rotten fruit at the entrance, no prisoners taken in the Empire.:lol:

Frued said that humour was attributed to the relief of latent sexual frustrations for the proletariat. I don't believe he had done a stand up comedy act there :)

Last edited:

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Strange one last night. Stood in the toilet of a Mexican sports bar, in California, chatting to a middle aged Scotsman....:confused:

He he really summed this vote up to me. This is basically what he said about it...

He would love more than for Scotland to have its independence and make all of its own decisions, but he would always vote against it due to the risk to the Scottish economy and the effect it could have on the country. He said that 'Scotland the Brave!' would vote for independence, but he said 'Scotland the intelligent' would vote against it as the gamble is not worth it if it goes tits up. He said that he would prefer Scotland to be governed by Westminster, rather than having to come cap in hand in 5 years time because it has not worked. That would just put Scotland in a compromising position where westminster could do what ever they wanted to them.

I do no think he was saying that people voting for it aren't intelligent, I think he was inferring that they are voting with their heart, not with their head.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Mate, condolences to you and without me massaging your ego you voiced your opinions and backed them up with fact and ignored nothing (unlike a few others)

I take my hat off to you.

Couldn't agree more.

Sure it's not been an easy day for you Adi but every respect for the way you've outlined your belief on what an independent Scotland could look like which, probably unfortunately for the Yes campaign, was a much wider view than some of the more detailed Issues that, in the long term, would have been worked out but dominated large parts of the debate.

I'm happy it was a No, but take no pleasure in the sadness of Yes-sers.......

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Milliband wanting to re-enfranchise Scottish Labour voters, and arguing with Cameron about the time table - now there's a huge shock!!

Are people really that naive and dense! Lets just say, on the backing of some stunning performances by Gordon Brown, Ed the ned engenders more Labour support in Scotland and even ends up with more Labour MP's from there in the next election... wonder how that would enhance Labour's chances of governing the UK following the next election?

Why do people lap up so much rubbish from politicians that are just looking after there own interests?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Strange one last night. Stood in the toilet of a Mexican sports bar, in California, chatting to a middle aged Scotsman....:confused:

He he really summed this vote up to me. This is basically what he said about it...

He would love more than for Scotland to have its independence and make all of its own decisions, but he would always vote against it due to the risk to the Scottish economy and the effect it could have on the country. He said that 'Scotland the Brave!' would vote for independence, but he said 'Scotland the intelligent' would vote against it as the gamble is not worth it if it goes tits up. He said that he would prefer Scotland to be governed by Westminster, rather than having to come cap in hand in 5 years time because it has not worked. That would just put Scotland in a compromising position where westminster could do what ever they wanted to them.

I do no think he was saying that people voting for it aren't intelligent, I think he was inferring that they are voting with their heart, not with their head.

A reasonable attitude and one that I'm sure was in the minds of many of the 'undecideds' who eventually voted 'No'.

But I think he was wrong! Scotland has a similar economy to many very successful countries - New Zealand, the Nordic group and even Switzerland. And I have little doubt that it would have survived and prospered as as independent country - possibly better than it will as part of the Union.

Indicates, to me, that the message of how it would get to the 'truly independent' state - the transition - was not convincing enough.

In effect, the 'no Currency Union' bluff worked!

Perhaps a lesson for the next generation? Though I suspect the situation with Oil/Gas (worldwide even) will be decidedly different by then!

C

c1973

I think it will be interesting to see if the yes campaigners actually do accept the will of the Scottish people and get onside with the victors to move forward, in the same manner no campaigners were expected to get on board had they lost. I fear they won't accept the will of the Scottish people and will, instead, put more effort into sniping from the sidelines and revert back to type of blaming Westminster and/or the English and/or the Torys.

It would be a shame as there is an opportunity to amend the system now, tweak the engine to get it performing more effectively if you will, but I think the sniping and party politics will lead to this brief (imo) opportunity being lost.

DCB

Visit site
Scotland will vote again next year in the general election then a party the vast majority don't vote for will get into power.....where is the democracy in that?

By your argument it's just like our lot up here, the majority didn't vote for SNP at the last Scottish Election, but, that's democracy in action. We ended up with a Government that more people didn't vote for than voted for it. You either vote and play your part, or, you don't vote and you abdicate responsibility. Whatever you do you have to get on with life after the event, you can't keep looking back at what might have been.

C

c1973

Interesting that Dundee and Glasgow had two of the lowest turnouts and were both yes wins.

Were no voters overconfident in these cities? Perhaps thinking they didn't need to turnout to sway the vote.

C

c1973

At least we get to keep using the pound, surely that's of some comfort to the yes campaign. :whistle:

C

c1973

That is democracy, dress it up which ever way you like dodger, it is what it is. Worth noting though that Scotland has had the government it voted for in every general election since the 50's up until the last one.

Not quite true, but not far off the mark according to this http://www.aforceforgood.org.uk/debunk/vote1

Two thirds of the time we get what we want (according to the link) , some would say that's perfectly acceptable.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
How did you feel when Labour won 3 GEs with Scotland voting for Labour in the majority?

Was that democracy?

Edit, Val beat me to it!!

It has been said loads of times on here that many SNP voters vote tactically at a GE for Labour.

I had a phone call a we while ago from a No voting friend who admitted he made a big mistake.