Scorers: How strict are you about marked scorecards?

jpjeffery

Assistant Pro
learnergolfer.wordpress.com
SOMEHOW, I've got myself roped in to being vice competitions secretary (then subsequently found out that vice comp secs become comps secs, comp secs become vice captains, vice captains become captains...I didn't sign up for THIS!)

Rant over, my question is around the strictness of marking scorecards. We frequently get cards submitted that aren't 'perfect'.

The most common infraction is failure to confirm which tee they were using. Not far behind is either writing in the whole figure shots received in either the Handicap box, or the shots received box, but not the decimal place handicap figure (e.g. a 14.2 handicapper would have just written 14 in either the Handicap box or the Shots Received box).

There's no reason to suspect cheating here. We all know to use the whites, nobody plays alone, everyone plays to their handicap figure, and so on.

We've been educating the members by email - and will continue to do so - and the standard of scorecards has improved, but still we get these cards submitted with these silly bits of inaccuracy.

So, after that long preamble, how strict are you at your club? Do you always DQ for these kinds of mistakes (sometimes, if we were being strict the results list would be very short indeed!)?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Nothing you have outlined is a breach of the rules - so that's easy!

You should rule to the rules (in this case 6-6) and guide outside this ie provide guidance around those things that make life easier for the committee etc to do their (unpaid) jobs.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would add that tee used is only an issue for handicap secretaries when considering supplemental cards and cards for handicap, and that in the example given 14 is correct (not 14.2)

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
SOMEHOW, I've got myself roped in to being vice competitions secretary (then subsequently found out that vice comp secs become comps secs, comp secs become vice captains, vice captains become captains...I didn't sign up for THIS!)

Rant over, my question is around the strictness of marking scorecards. We frequently get cards submitted that aren't 'perfect'.

The most common infraction is failure to confirm which tee they were using. Not far behind is either writing in the whole figure shots received in either the Handicap box, or the shots received box, but not the decimal place handicap figure (e.g. a 14.2 handicapper would have just written 14 in either the Handicap box or the Shots Received box).

There's no reason to suspect cheating here. We all know to use the whites, nobody plays alone, everyone plays to their handicap figure, and so on.

We've been educating the members by email - and will continue to do so - and the standard of scorecards has improved, but still we get these cards submitted with these silly bits of inaccuracy.

So, after that long preamble, how strict are you at your club? Do you always DQ for these kinds of mistakes (sometimes, if we were being strict the results list would be very short indeed!)?

I've honestly never seen anyone put an exact handicap on a scorecard

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've honestly never seen anyone put an exact handicap on a scorecard

You've never seen my scorecard then. I have always put my exact handicap box and my playing handicap in the strokes received box. I started doing it in my first comp as no-one told me otherwise and have done it ever since, even though I know it's not required.