Not long left of the season- how close are you to your target?

jamielaing

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Yeowsa! That's a seriously good round of golf. What was different about that day, do you know or remember?

I've found there are certain conditions that don't suit me, but its hard to create the ones that do. I know that playing after work in a mid-week comp never results in a good round, I'm too tired or still thinking about the office. I've found teeing off at silly o clock on a Sunday morning doesn't work, I don't have time to warm up and always get off to a bad start. I'm not good running into traffic when Ive started a round of decent pace, so I avoid a tee time that might allow me to catch the spin ups of 4 balls that go out. So its things like that I try to avoid. Is there a pattern to your bad play and what was different about the good round? If you can recreate it you'll bust 12 with a bullet!

Something I have noted at my club is that all the cat 1 golfers go for the 2pm slot for medals. Can't decide if this is to try to play together or is a noted optimum slot! I try not to play before 10.30am so I have time rather than rushing. Evening medals after work seem to work well for me too, no idea why!

One tip I would give everyone is not to look at your card at all. Just play the game and each hole for what it is. The amount of times I have played and not counted then at 17 just checked to see that a couple of pars will serve me well and all of a sudden 2 bogeys!

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A poor start to the year cost me really....wanted to reduce my competitive scoring average from a couple of years ago (last year was a write off!) Competitive average for this calendar year is 85.6, which is about what it was a couple of years ago. There are still a few competitions to take part in, however, unless I throw in a few 72s...it won't budge that much!

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
I only set myself targets that would if achieved get more out of my game, like:

Try to draw the ball (instead of fade/ slice); mixed results, extra distance and better flight when good

focus on basics (grip, posture); massive improvement, still the odd lapse

Beable to use my fairway wood; 90% success rate, helping the scores

Improve putting; failure, don't make enough birdies (normally have a look at 5-6 per round, lucky to make 1), 3 putt far to often

Keep a ball for more than 1 round; achieved!

Big_G

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Yeowsa! That's a seriously good round of golf. What was different about that day, do you know or remember?

I've found there are certain conditions that don't suit me, but its hard to create the ones that do. I know that playing after work in a mid-week comp never results in a good round, I'm too tired or still thinking about the office. I've found teeing off at silly o clock on a Sunday morning doesn't work, I don't have time to warm up and always get off to a bad start. I'm not good running into traffic when Ive started a round of decent pace, so I avoid a tee time that might allow me to catch the spin ups of 4 balls that go out. So its things like that I try to avoid. Is there a pattern to your bad play and what was different about the good round? If you can recreate it you'll bust 12 with a bullet!

Had been threatening a good round for a while, just managed to do it in a comp for once!!!

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Fortunately I didn't set any targets this year as my season has been little more than pathetic.
Plagued by shanks and my short game went right off resulting in a complete loss of confidence, I've had one buffer and everything else has been 0.1 back, seeing me move from 8.4 to 9.5

The last few times out I've played a bit better and there are still a couple of qualifiers before the season ends so I hope to creep back under 10.

On the plus side I've played several very good courses, mostly via the forum, thanks to all the organisers. :thup:
And it's good to see lots of others having a successful year.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
After a very positive lesson tonight and an on going improvement in scores each week since coming back from injury, I'm coming up on the rails for a late charge ;)

Sheffieldhacker

Club Champion
Visit site
My target was 3.4 from 4.6 so not much of a target but had a shocker of a start to the season. Up to 4.9 but managed to grind it down to 4.1 with a few level par rounds. Still got 4 comp rounds left to play in as I'm away for the scratch 36 hole i qualified for. So 0.7 drop isn't looking to good now as i haven't hit a ball in 3 weeks

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
And today's nine holer is why this season has stressed me out.

two par fives on our front nine, both over water. For the first time ever playing off whites I got over the water with the second shot. On the green in three, first time ever a birdie putt. which stopped 2" from hole. tyrets time par for 4 points.
next par five on green in three, another birdie putt. Par for three points.
eighth hole another birdie putt, 2" short.
10 points in three holes and I finished on 16 total.
two Flippin blobs, lost a ball immediately after a four pointer on the easiest par three in the world. Then knocked provisional 10 ft from hole and three putted, aargh aargh flippin aargh.
16 points stood on 9th and skied a tee shot which nearly hit Haleys Comet. Three off the tee again.
What stresses me out is i went into shop for "winners vouchers " and picked up another £25, that's £95 ave had this year up to yet and ave dropped 0.1 from start of year.
Positives tash Positives. Massive monkey off me back parring those two par fives.

PS, When I left the clubhouse I was leading my division again. No Flippin drop in Hcap though.

Last edited:

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
Started season on 12.2. Drifted up to 12.4 before getting a .8 cut back to 11.6.

My goal was to get to 11 so still got a chance. Two Stableford qualifiers coming up in the next 10 days so fingers crossed.

SatchFan

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
The only target I ever set myself is to break 80. Didn't manage it for the first six months of the year caused by no short game practice which meant that while I struck the ball well I had the touch of an elephant. Pure laziness on my part particularly when I know my game doesn't really tolerate any sort of neglect. Cue about a week's worth of practice and hey presto the 70s started coming in. I am never going to be Cat 1 but happy with my scores this week - 76, 78, 77, 78.

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ultimately I would like to get the single figure next to my name but it won't be this year.
I started the year at 13.7 currently 13.9. I have buffered all but two of my comps this year but failed to get a cut. I did shoot a sub par gross round of 34 for nine holes a couple of weeks ago so I'm sure the game is there to reach the target.
Club champs is on the 19 th of sept ,it would be good to get a cut in that one.
Not many chances in a year to get a cut as we only have one competition a month and the winter ones aren't qualifiers.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
My goal for the season was to get to 9.4 at least. Currently 9.0 but thrre is still time to creep back up.
Seen my handicap swing from 10.2 to 9.2 then back up to 9.6 before coming down to 9.0 at the weekend. Been a strange old season.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well, I blew it. Medal last night after an 11 day break and I'm up 0.1.

I didn't feel comfortable, PP lost 3 balls in the first 4 holes and I couldn't keep my game head on as I was worrying more about keeping up with the group in front than my own game. Then I lost a ball on the 6th because I was rushing everything. Missed a tap-in birdie on 8. Head turned to mince, swing was angry, score was abysmal.

Roll on next year.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
The only target I ever set myself is to break 80. Didn't manage it for the first six months of the year caused by no short game practice which meant that while I struck the ball well I had the touch of an elephant. Pure laziness on my part particularly when I know my game doesn't really tolerate any sort of neglect. Cue about a week's worth of practice and hey presto the 70s started coming in. I am never going to be Cat 1 but happy with my scores this week - 76, 78, 77, 78.

I think anyone who can get to seven can make it to cat 1 without too much difficulty. Going lower than that, or even just staying there, seems to be where it gets more challenging!

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
My target for the season was to play as much golf as possible, take part in as many competitions as possible and the cherry on the cake, maybe get a wee cut here and there so my hcap is lower at the end of the year than it was at the start.

I'm happy to report that I have succeeded on all the 3 counts and had my most enjoyable year playing golf ever which is really all that counts for me.