Not long left of the season- how close are you to your target?

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
A I regularly get told that I should be single figures and it'd be nice to achieve it before the autumn is out but so long as I can keep my current ball striking, next year could do it.

I was regularly told this for years too. Always hovering around 10,11,12. Had sort of given up ever getting there then out of the blue last year with the help of a new driver and a lesson I managed a couple of rounds keeping out trouble and holing some putts and bingo! So you never know just how close you might be.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
This year I was just looking to reactivate my handicap, which I managed to do at Cooden with a nice little "cut" from my previous 13 down to 11.8.
Have played in a few qualifiers since then, including an Open at Orsett GC, (which possibly saw my worst performance of the year), so have now crept back out to 12.2
I know that there is a lower handicapped golfer in there somewhere, so I am setting myself a target for next year to get down to 10.
Single figures would be nice, but at this stage in my life, I'd settle for 10 if I can.
Fingers crossed.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I never really set targets but this year I wanted to get the handicap down a bit.
A couple of years of slow drift had seen me up to 7.1 and I wasn't happy with that.
I've started playing, possibly, the best, sustained level of golf ever in the last 2 months, shooting gross 74s 3 times in Comps and getting the handicap back down to 6. This purple patch has seen me par the course 3 times out of competition and be regularly in the low 70s.
Waiting on yesterday's results but, with a bit of luck, I may be down to 6.2 and, with the way I'm playing, there's no reason to suggest I can't get below 6 before qualifiers cease for the Winter.
Very content with the game right now!

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
This year I was just looking to reactivate my handicap, which I managed to do at Cooden with a nice little "cut" from my previous 13 down to 11.8.
Have played in a few qualifiers since then, including an Open at Orsett GC, (which possibly saw my worst performance of the year), so have now crept back out to 12.2
I know that there is a lower handicapped golfer in there somewhere, so I am setting myself a target for next year to get down to 10.
Single figures would be nice, but at this stage in my life, I'd settle for 10 if I can.
Fingers crossed.

Isn't that a polite way of saying you're a bandit?
:whistle::whistle::whistle:

fripnchips

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My aim for this year was to join a club and get a handicap (was hoping for around 18). Ticked both of those off although my handicap has climbed to 14.8 i have had a hole in one and enjoying it more than ever so i'd say goals have been surpassed this year.

PuttPuttSteve

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Objectives for this year were:-

1. Get down to 12 H/C (achieved)
2. Break 80 on my home course (failed, so far)
3. Play a medal with no double bogies (failed, so far)

I'm going to book some lessons to help me achieve the last two before the end of the season - which I will stretch as far as I can!

jamielaing

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Some good achievements in the bunch. And for those that aren't at their's yet keep going.

I played last night and made it to single figures after a nett 66. Unfortunately SS went down inexplicably so will now be at 9.3. 9 medals left to come down to 7/8 and my overall target is reached. Happy to be at single figures now. Also threw in another double bogey free round!

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Nice to hear the positives in this thread..

Can't remember setting many specific targets for the year but always like to have played some nice courses, learnt more about my game and racked up a win.

Started the year hopeful, but my trusty fade deserted me and I've since reverted back to hitting predominantly draws. Somehow managed to win our scratch cup (no explanation as this was in the middle of my ever popular 'pull-hook' phase although the putter was scorching that day) and the hcp is 0.4 less than it was.

Hitting the ball significantly further now although it's a work in progress and as ever with golfers, hope springs eternal. This time next year Rodders...

KhalJimbo

Head Pro
Visit site
Well I started Golf last November just on a Par 3 then had some lessons February\March time and joined my current club about 3 months ago. Got my first handicap and off 26.

My goals were by now to have broken 100 and be off 24 and play an entire round with the same ball.

I've gone around on the same ball twice before but I am currently stagnating around the 103 mark, I just need to work on my putting a bit more seriously and I can be there. I have far too many 3 and 4 putts. I reckon I can easily drop about 10+ shots a round if I get better at my putting. I am usually around 43 putts a game. I should be WAY lower than that. Slowing down now for the year now since expecting a child (5 days overdue now) but still expecting to get some time on the course in hopefully.

drew83

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have a simple goal - keep one ball for a round! Succeeded? Nope, not yet!

I had that goal too. Not a "real goal" just a nice to have. I got very confident of achieving it last time out. 17th tee, ruined the drive & put it into a field. It wasn't lost as I could see it. Just a ditch a thorn bushes prevented the retrieval.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My season started in December, when I did as much travelling as I could with work so that I didn't have to go in the season. And it worked, for a while...

Swing changes over the winter saw me get from my plateau of 12ish to my target of single figures, got to 8.6 before yo-yoing up to 9.0. Had some decent rounds in there, so hoping if I can throw in another low one before year-end my already activated ESR will kick in and reduce me further. Having come so close to 8 I'd love to finish there.

Not a target but I had a hole in one in a Medal so that's something nice to mark the season.

Not a target but won a GM forum comp after 14628 goes, met Lee Westwood and had a brilliant day courtesy of the boys at GM and Footjoy, so all in all a very enjoyable golf season so far and if I can push out some work to the day they take in the white tees then I might push on again.

Congrats if you've achieved a goal, if you haven't - there's time yet folks!

jamielaing

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
My season started in December, when I did as much travelling as I could with work so that I didn't have to go in the season. And it worked, for a while...

Swing changes over the winter saw me get from my plateau of 12ish to my target of single figures, got to 8.6 before yo-yoing up to 9.0. Had some decent rounds in there, so hoping if I can throw in another low one before year-end my already activated ESR will kick in and reduce me further. Having come so close to 8 I'd love to finish there.

Not a target but I had a hole in one in a Medal so that's something nice to mark the season.

Not a target but won a GM forum comp after 14628 goes, met Lee Westwood and had a brilliant day courtesy of the boys at GM and Footjoy, so all in all a very enjoyable golf season so far and if I can push out some work to the day they take in the white tees then I might push on again.

Congrats if you've achieved a goal, if you haven't - there's time yet folks!

That's good going and the ESR will help a bit further! Just keep pushing!

My aim is still 8, sitting at 9.3 just now but hoping to get to 8 and then hopefully an ESR may take effect and bring me to 7!

Big_G

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Set myself a goal of getting down to 12 this summer (same target which I failed at last year :()

Looked like I was going to fail miserably again, but a good round a couple of weeks ago has left me with a chance of acheiving it

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That's good going and the ESR will help a bit further! Just keep pushing!

My aim is still 8, sitting at 9.3 just now but hoping to get to 8 and then hopefully an ESR may take effect and bring me to 7!

Thanks dude, sounds like you're playing some gaaalf so be patient and enjoy the ride, those low rounds seem to come out of nowhere sometimes and I've found they almost never come when you try to force them.

Set myself a goal of getting down to 12 this summer (same target which I failed at last year :()

Looked like I was going to fail miserably again, but a good round a couple of weeks ago has left me with a chance of acheiving it

I wouldn't say being 0.9 off is failing miserably! That must have been a good round to cut you 1.5, did you activate your ESR? Your goal might be closer than you think...

Big_G

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks dude, sounds like you're playing some gaaalf so be patient and enjoy the ride, those low rounds seem to come out of nowhere sometimes and I've found they almost never come when you try to force them.

I wouldn't say being 0.9 off is failing miserably! That must have been a good round to cut you 1.5, did you activate your ESR? Your goal might be closer than you think...

I'd had a run of 6 0.1's before the cut and was back where I started the year, hence the frustration

No ESR but was a net 64, with 2 3-stabs from inside 10ft on the 16th & 18th or could have been a silly score (tough greens those 2 honest ;) )

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
net 64, with 2 3-stabs

Yeowsa! That's a seriously good round of golf. What was different about that day, do you know or remember?

I've found there are certain conditions that don't suit me, but its hard to create the ones that do. I know that playing after work in a mid-week comp never results in a good round, I'm too tired or still thinking about the office. I've found teeing off at silly o clock on a Sunday morning doesn't work, I don't have time to warm up and always get off to a bad start. I'm not good running into traffic when Ive started a round of decent pace, so I avoid a tee time that might allow me to catch the spin ups of 4 balls that go out. So its things like that I try to avoid. Is there a pattern to your bad play and what was different about the good round? If you can recreate it you'll bust 12 with a bullet!

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Set myself a target of 20 and only at 25.8 so kinda running out of time and tournaments to get to this but will keep plugging away.

One thing I would say to make my excuses is that the weather hasn't been great up here for my plan

Break90

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Handicap has come down from 13.7 to 11.3, I picked up a board comp last weekend, but most importantly I've played as much golf as I could, and have enjoyed myself immensely.

jamielaing

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

Its a balancing act of having expectations and targets yet pretending you don't to try to not over think! Just keep getting into position as the pros say!