Not long left of the season- how close are you to your target?

jamielaing

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'm going to fail my target for this year. The goal was to get to a 9.4 by the end of August and the closest I've gotten is 10.9. Dropping nearly 2 shots in the next 11 days seems out of reach even though it's theoretically still possible if I had the time to play in all the remaining qualifiers.

Work/life balance this year has meant I've not be able to play/practice anywhere near as much as I have in previous years. I'm playing about once every 10 days at best and it's not enough for me to progress. It's also frustrated me that for a large part of the season, when I have been able to head out, the unusual amount of wind has caused me nothing but trouble.

Oh well, there's always next year.

I'd say that the wind has been a massive issue for me too. Hitting the ball high doesn't go well with it! It's still possible for you by the end of the season perhaps?

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am very close, just 0.2 away although I expect at least one 0.1 from away comps I have played recently. I do still have around 5 qualifiers left so still a few chances to trim another few points off though.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I didn't have a target this year, but the one thing I wanted to do was to play reasonably in opens at away courses. Just one buffer would do me.

My record this year....

Home qualifiers: 3 cuts, 4 buffers, 2 0.1's
Away qualifiers: 8 0.1's

6 rounds left to play well once :D

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
In terms of handicap I've gone backwards. Started at 11.7 and up to 12.1 so not the end of the world. In terms of ball striking and my short game I am well ahead of the arc of the curve and playing and enjoying my golf so much more in 2015. I am feeling more confident when I go out. I just need to tweak a few things and stop the couple of bad holes per round but having won a monthly stableford and qualify for the end of season "Masters" (comp winners only) so one of my goals achieved having missed out for the last two years. Short game needs to move on (although a chip in for birdie last week) and while I may not make single figures in 2015 I still think I'm going forward

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Miles off. I have had a couple of rounds that could of hammered me Hcap but screwed up on a couple of holes.
Still smiling though.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
In terms of handicap I've gone backwards. Started at 11.7 and up to 12.1 so not the end of the world. In terms of ball striking and my short game I am well ahead of the arc of the curve and playing and enjoying my golf so much more in 2015. I am feeling more confident when I go out. I just need to tweak a few things and stop the couple of bad holes per round but having won a monthly stableford and qualify for the end of season "Masters" (comp winners only) so one of my goals achieved having missed out for the last two years. Short game needs to move on (although a chip in for birdie last week) and while I may not make single figures in 2015 I still think I'm going forward

Not having a pop Martin but this is in total contrast to your doom & gloom posts after your rounds which always come across as negative and yet here you say your enjoying this year more?

D

Deleted member 15344

Dont really have targets beyond ensuring i enjoy playing and have done that this year - wins and HC a bonus

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not having a pop Martin but this is in total contrast to your doom & gloom posts after your rounds which always come across as negative and yet here you say your enjoying this year more?

I am naturally a glass three quarter empty type of guy. Having fun with my short game now I've lost the chocolate frogs in the head and a technique I trust (and is more conventional) and enjoying the better ball striking. I just need to stop throwing bad holes in and a shift in planetary alignment to let me kick on and the glass could bubble at half full

gregers

Head Pro
Visit site
set myself the goal of getting down to 10 this year,managed to get down to 8 in the society i belong too.
but got down to 12.2 club h/capp but i feel i have put to much pressure on myself.im now at 12.9.

Andy808

Tour Winner
Visit site
Set myself the target of getting down to single figures by September.
Mucked about for most of the year with swing changes up to April and then started concentrating on on course play.
Several buffers and a lot of swearing I finally hit the jackpot with a 8 over gross -8 to handicap for a two shot cut then two weeks later shot a +4 gross 46 (Yes that's forty six) points for another 2 shot reduction and a 2 shot ESR.
Now off 10.3 just .9 away from the target.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Last year was my worst year in 30+yrs, climbing from 4.4 to 6.0. My hope was to get back into Cat 1. Ball striking has been great most of the year, with most rounds being in the 70's, but putting has been woeful for most rounds. Recently, by going back to old faithful putter, Cat 1 has returned. Some decent wins too.

I dare say I may creep back up a wee bit but I'm really happy with my game again.

Soft hands

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Gave myself a target to get to single figures from 13 and glad to say I've achieved it currently at 8.8.

Got to say at one point it felt so far away, then I had a little purple patch where I was consistently shooting in the 70s which did the trick.

I'd like to finish the season on 8 as it's only one good round away.

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Started off at 11.3, hoping to get back to single figures for the first time since the early 1990's. Now down to 7.6, so I am satisfied. My ball striking is pretty dismal, albeit very straight, but I can chip and putt better than my handicap suggests. Having my first lesson in about 35 years at the weekend to see if I can achieve improvement in hitting fairway woods and long irons.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
After a season of going up and up, changing irons and having to work damn hard, I'm suddenly hitting quite well and back to pretty well where I was. I regularly get told that I should be single figures and it'd be nice to achieve it before the autumn is out but so long as I can keep my current ball striking, next year could do it.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Having been cut from 12 to 9 last year my aim this year was simply to try and play to my new handicap. Not played as many qualifiers as I'd hoped, but buffered 3 times and last 2 times out I was within a stroke of a cut both times so not too bad I guess. Currently 9.2 and hope I can keep in s/f by the end of the season.