Board Comp Qualification Criteria

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Over the last couple of years I have become aware of a few people at our club who are playing the minimum number of comps to maintain their handicap purely to play in board comps and knockouts. They are well known for doing it and I know several members who are rather upset by this practice.

This morning I played in a comp with a guy who was desperately trying to reactivate his handicap before the summer knockout begins on April first. Apparently he hadn't realised he was inactive until one of his opponents in the final of the winter knockout spotted it. He was trying to blame his inactive status on the psi system we use for comp sign in but also told me the only reason he keeps his handicap active is to play in the knockouts. He said he normally puts 3 cards in within a few weeks at the beginning of the season, often using supplementaries, and then forgets about it and doesn't play any more comps until he has to, he plays every week, often on comp days but not in comps. To make it worse, he played in the comp this morning with no concern about playing well, it was purely a tick box for his active status.

The entry criteria for comps is being a full member with an active handicap when the comp starts and I can't help thinking that either the 3 card to keep you active policy or the club policy for competition entry needs to change. The problem is what to? I was thinking maybe insisting members play in one qualifier a month to be eligible but if players aren't trying to play well, what does that achieve?

So a few questions...

1) Am I wrong to think these people are abusing the system?
2) What is the comp entry criteria at your club and do you know of people such as this at your club?
3) What can be done about it?

D

Deleted member 15344

I think it's the same at ours - only have to have an active handicap

I can't see anything wrong with it personal - but only if their handicap is also effected by performances in knockouts

You could force people to play a qualifier a month but then people might not actually enter either which could reduce knockouts etc

As long as their handicap is active then can't see a problem tbh.

Why do you believe it's a problem ?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Some folk just prefer Matchplay to Strokeplay! He probably does that when playing with his pals on comp days.

Unless he's 'stacking' his handicap, he's doing little harm. Does he win/get close in the knockouts?

'Active Handicap' is simply a convenient, and visible, metric. There's no reason why that shouldn't be increased to, say, 6 comps rather than the 3 required to stay active.

Last edited:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Right or wrong there has to be a system and people will always do what is in their own interest.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
One a month is steep, I'd like to see 6 rounds per year to keep a hc active, that's a card every other month in varying conditions.

If you don't submit these cards you should be ruled out of majors

jimbob.someroo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The girl I won the mixed foursomes with last year was queried about her handicap being active but I could genuinely see her argument for not being able to put cards in.

She is very much a 36 handicap and is 25 year old lawyer who can't play in the ladies comps during the week. This means that she only gets the weekend to play but there's not as many women's comps at the weekend and she's also got a lot of work to do. She maybe plays twice a month with her dad on a weekend afternoon for enjoyment and to try and get a little better.

The mixed comp is a whole different experience for her though. She gets to play with/against the men and increase her circle of friends at the club. She gets to at least be a little bit competitive and have the odd putt for par or better depending on who her partner is. And overall, it's just a lot more fun!

Personally, unless they're sandbagging their handicaps, I have no issue with people only playing a couple of times competitively to keep their handicap active. The likelihood is that these people aren't going to be winning competitions.

Instead, they are enjoying their rounds with their mates which they are entitled to do for their £xxxx a year. I can understand the frustration (especially if they always win the board comps) but if they were forced to play in x amount of comps a month, I guess there's a good chance they'll be looking elsewhere.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Over the last couple of years I have become aware of a few people at our club who are playing the minimum number of comps to maintain their handicap purely to play in board comps and knockouts. They are well known for doing it and I know several members who are rather upset by this practice.

This morning I played in a comp with a guy who was desperately trying to reactivate his handicap before the summer knockout begins on April first. Apparently he hadn't realised he was inactive until one of his opponents in the final of the winter knockout spotted it. He was trying to blame his inactive status on the psi system we use for comp sign in but also told me the only reason he keeps his handicap active is to play in the knockouts. He said he normally puts 3 cards in within a few weeks at the beginning of the season, often using supplementaries, and then forgets about it and doesn't play any more comps until he has to, he plays every week, often on comp days but not in comps. To make it worse, he played in the comp this morning with no concern about playing well, it was purely a tick box for his active status.

The entry criteria for comps is being a full member with an active handicap when the comp starts and I can't help thinking that either the 3 card to keep you active policy or the club policy for competition entry needs to change. The problem is what to? I was thinking maybe insisting members play in one qualifier a month to be eligible but if players aren't trying to play well, what does that achieve?

So a few questions...

1) Am I wrong to think these people are abusing the system?
2) What is the comp entry criteria at your club and do you know of people such as this at your club?
3) What can be done about it?

I would presume from your op you have proof of this,otherwise you are clutching at straws.
In fact you must because you mention board comps and opens.
At my club it happens because the handicap secretary told me it does.
However it happens everywhere.
Its the system that's flawed that allows players to do it.
3 qualifiers is never enough imo,double it at least.
I had someone actually say to me at the weekend that he didn't want to play well
as he wanted to go up .1 so his handicap would go up a shot,sickens me and I told him so.
Lots of times ive heard on here that the whole object of most golfers is to get as low as they can.
I believe that's not necessarily true,a lot are only interested in giving themselves a chance to win
a comp wether its a board comp or a lucrative open.

D

Deleted member 15344

I would presume from your op you have proof of this,otherwise you are clutching at straws.
I had someone actually say to me at the weekend that he didn't want to play well
as he wanted to go up .1 so his handicap would go up a shot,sickens me and I told him so.
Lots of times ive heard on here that the whole object of most golfers is to get as low as they can.
I believe that's not necessarily true,a lot are only interested in giving themselves a chance to win

Yep I have witnessed the same as well - people wanting point 1 back so their handicap goes up to allow them a better chance in other comps

I had one person complain because we cut him just before the winter league final - he was easily playing off a handicap too high and was flagged in AR. Basically told me he will ensure he is back to his 22 HC soon enough.

Another senior keeps asking for shots back even though he regularly gets 36 points in a roll up.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think it's the same at ours - only have to have an active handicap

I can't see anything wrong with it personal - but only if their handicap is also effected by performances in knockouts

You could force people to play a qualifier a month but then people might not actually enter either which could reduce knockouts etc

As long as their handicap is active then can't see a problem tbh.

Why do you believe it's a problem ?

There just seems something not quite in the spirit of the game for people to do the minimum possible to keep their handicap and rock up for board events and win.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Some folk just prefer Matchplay to Strokeplay! He probably does that when playing with his pals on comp days.

Unless he's 'stacking' his handicap, he's doing little harm. Does he win/get close in the knockouts?

'Active Handicap' is simply a convenient, and visible, metric. There's no reason why that shouldn't be increased to, say, 6 comps rather than the 3 required to stay active.

They play strokeplay Saturday mornings, and don't do Gimme's.

EDIT: He was\is in the final of the winter knockout

Last edited:

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

I have proof, it's common knowledge in the club about certain people.

This guy was only interested in having a "competitive handicap". He said something along the lines of " I could shoot 78 and get the same handicap as you but I wouldn't want to do that as I wouldn't be competitive" I told him he should be trying to shoot the best score he can but he just kept going on about being competitive.

D

Deleted member 15344

There just seems something not quite in the spirit of the game for people to do the minimum possible to keep their handicap and rock up for board events and win.

So are they protecting their handicap to win the knockouts - yes it's a bit cheeky but it's within the current rules I suppose.

Some people maybe just prefer matchplay

But if you know people try to protect their just to win the have a sly word with the HC sec

Last edited by a moderator:

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
So are they protecting their handicap to win the knockouts - yes it's a bit cheeky but it's within the current rules

Indeed it is, which is why I wanted to see what the forum thought, I know it is within the rules and I understand the rules are there to be inclusive, but they are open to abuse and too many people abuse them.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have proof, it's common knowledge in the club about certain people.

This guy was only interested in having a "competitive handicap". He said something along the lines of " I could shoot 78 and get the same handicap as you but I wouldn't want to do that as I wouldn't be competitive" I told him he should be trying to shoot the best score he can but he just kept going on about being competitive.

Yes that's the problem.
No point mentioning it though to the HS as he probably is well aware.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Not cheating the system, just playing it..
3 cards in a year is pathetic really, especially as Supplementaries can be used if you can't play in the qualifiers.
It should be at least 6 - if you're a Member of a Club and you can't make 6 qualifiers or put 6 Supps in, or any combination, then you really aren't playing enough golf to justify Membershîp.

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
3 cards in a year is pathetic really, especially as Supplementaries can be used if you can't play in the qualifiers.
It should be at least 6 - if you're a Member of a Club and you can't make 6 qualifiers or put 6 Supps in, or any combination, then you really aren't playing enough golf to justify Membershîp.

Sounds fair enough.

D

Deleted member 15344

What about 5 day members where there is only 1 possibly no qualifying comps per month during the week ?

How could they get 6 in when they possible only manage 3 or 4

Not everyone joins a golf club to play qualifying comps every weekend

If people protect their handicaps to do well in knockouts then cut them from the knockout results

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
What about 5 day members where there is only 1 possibly no qualifying comps per month during the week ?

How could they get 6 in when they possible only manage 3 or 4

Not everyone joins a golf club to play qualifying comps every weekend

If people protect their handicaps to do well in knockouts then cut them from the knockout results

You could put 6 supplementaries in, 1 a month. Is that a hard?

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site

Excellent answer Ian and pretty sums it up bang on .. if you cant manage 6 at least then you shouldnt be allowed in board comps or at least first prize

Mike , it happens everywhere mate , we have a few of them , one of them won the presidents a few years ago , there was a massive round of applause for the runner up at the presentation and a half hearted effort for the winner .. he didnt come back the following year and is reportedly quoted as saying "no win worth that response"

ive also played with guys who were going well and all of a sudden their game went off the rails on the last few holes
to secure the .1 , i wouldnt bother reporting it as everyone knows about and the club are too spineless to act ..

D

Deleted member 15344

You could put 6 supplementaries in, 1 a month. Is that a hard?

But as I said a lot of 5 day members just play to play in their rolls ups and things like their senior knock out or mixed foursomes or men's foursomes ( knockouts held during the week )

With the way some qualifiers are at clubs some people wouldn't be able to get their handicap active until middle of May maybe even longer ( with qualifiers starting in April for some )