Schniederjans One-Handed Putting?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I putt one handed... similar to this, but my bottom, right stays on and the left is lose and comes off at the end of the stoke. in fact i can put just as well without my left hand on the grip at all

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
But why would you?

because i putt way better.

used to have a very neutral grip, but TBH didn't sink anything like the putts i should for birdie and sometimes lacked distance control.

had a putting lesson with our old pro who was an old fashioned style player and feel was a big factor for him. school of thought by others was take the hands out of it but he convinced me i should use my dominant hand and skill with that... try rolling a ball or throwing a ball with both hands to demonstrate this. had me putting for an hour with just my right hand low on the grip. putting improved 100% i now reg sink my fair share of Birdies and this prob got me down to Cat1, from hovering at 6 for a couple of years.

I would now feel confident of holing any putt from any distance... i don't obviously, but confidence is everything

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I do occasionally putt one handed on the practice green, when I notice that my putts are not starting on line (I have a tendency to pull them left). Putting one handed normally helps me to straighten things out again. Never dared to try it during an actual round, though. Only works for relatively short putts as well (up to 12 feet, maybe).

Big_G

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Been suffering with the dreaded unmentionables for the last couple of months, for the last couple of weeks I've been chipping one handed.

Not too bad, it's certainly improved my bunker play

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I can't imagine hitting any shot with just one hand, chipping or putting. Club would be wobbling all over the place! Maybe I just have weak wrists. But I feel like I definitely need two hands on the club to keep the path steady at least.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I can't imagine hitting any shot with just one hand, chipping or putting. Club would be wobbling all over the place! Maybe I just have weak wrists. But I feel like I definitely need two hands on the club to keep the path steady at least.

How fast do you swing your putter?:rofl:

I've done this during solo rounds and it seems to work.
It takes a variable - your left hand/arm out of the equation.
Maybe makes you focus more on the contact.
Happy with my putting so I've no need to do it in a proper game but it's worth trying these things because you never know.....

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
The claw grip is another one which is intended to take the right hand substantially out of the stroke, so that it doesn’t turn the face, and just used for power

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The claw grip is another one which is intended to take the right hand substantially out of the stroke, so that it doesn’t turn the face, and just used for power
Taking the right hand out makes a little bit of sense to me, since the left is the lead hand for a right-handed putter. In the video though, Schniederjans takes his left hand out of the stroke, leaving just the right, trail hand. So a bit different to the claw and so on.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site

I looked at the putting tips on Rotary golf, he said that you should reverse grip, keeping the left arm straight, the right arm being a passenger.

I tried it, and it keeps the putter head perfectly straight, however on long putts I had no control of distance, from 30 feet I put 3 6 feet shorts and 1 5 feet past. Then tried a conventional grip with my right hand more in control and lagged it to a couple of inches

Roland

Assistant Pro
www.canal-view.co.uk
I played with a bloke a few months ago who chipped one handed and he was off single figures. I tried it next time I was on the practice ground and though I'm not a convert the advantage seemed to be you had to swing smoothly and you had to commit if the ball was going to go anywhere.