Sand wedge for different sand

bignev

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
This season my club have changed the sand in the bunkers.
With the old poor sand my Sandwedge that came with my set worked fine with only 54 degree loft and very little bounce.
Now they have put in really fluffy sand and its causing me problems so should I look at buying a better wedge with more loft and bounce or get another lesson to try and help with the problem or both :)

D

Deleted member 15344

Would first IMO look at a different method to playing bunker shots first - I'm sure the way you play shouldn't be much different just different angle of attack and how far behind the ball you look to hit sand

Huwey12

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I started a thread a while ago on getting out of bunkers, have a good read of that

I was having all sorts of problems, the experts on this forum really helped me such as keeping the shaft level and not forward of the ball, keeping weight forward

i was was told to use all my wedges according to the distance and not to stand too much open, also not to always have the club face too open

hope this helps

bignev

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Have dug out a pair of old wedges from the garage will see if they make and difference.
Will have a look at your thread Huwey12 later tonight and see if it can help.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you want more loft, why not just open the face of your current one? Seve used to be able to get the ball out of a bunker with a 3-iron, I'm sure you can do it with a 54*.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Personally (and it's only my own game) 54 degrees wouldn't be enough loft for me to play bunker shots with confidence. I'd look at a minimum of 56 but prefer my 58. It also depends on what bounce you have to deal with the sand effectively

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
This season my club have changed the sand in the bunkers.
With the old poor sand my Sandwedge that came with my set worked fine with only 54 degree loft and very little bounce.
Now they have put in really fluffy sand and its causing me problems so should I look at buying a better wedge with more loft and bounce or get another lesson to try and help with the problem or both :)

Whilst there are bunkers out there where more than 54 degrees of loft will help - they are not the majority.

Opening the club face to increase the loft will increase the the bounce by the same amount; but then the sole shape changes and this isn't the best way to handle you issue.

It is an issue; compacted sand with only a little loose sand will respond well to higher loft lower bounce clubs - deep soft fluffy sand won't.

Lessons will definitely help in terms of both your overall bunker capabilities and understanding of what's happening, and what's best for you. You can also pick up excellent SW via eBay because, like drives and hybrids, people are always changing them to find something that works better for them.... grab a second hand 56 or 58 with 12 or 14 bounce and practice.