Ryder Farce tickets

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I know there has been numerous posts regarding the ridiculous rules they have surrounding the Ryder Cup tickets.

I can see the reason behind rules to prevent the touts taking over and over inflating prices but the rules are to the detriment of the normal golf enthusiast and public.

Here's my situation, went into the long process ballot and requested 2 tickets for Saturday so I could take my 7 year old (unlike the R&A Open etc where children go free a 7 yr old has to pay). Received an email in August saying you have been successful and allocated the tickets below (it just gives a ref number, the day and my name as the purchaser, and the fact they have taken payment).
All is well with the world- been planning making it a trip to remember for my son.

Decided to call today and check when tickets actually come out- ticket company tells me I was only allocated one ticket!!!!!! :angry:

Don't want to go without my son, cant get a refund (surely they should refund and re-sell to others desperate for a ticket) cant give it away free to a friend or family member even if I was sick or left the country!!

In their efforts to 'protect' tickets they are alienating the very people they are trying to encourage.

matt71

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I got an email last week asking people to apply again for tickets (went on sale yesterday). could you not just buy one of them for your son?

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was going to buy a ticket to go up for the practice days so I could take some photos and then share them in here, but after reading the rules and regs, I wold not be allowed to show them on any social media site, forum or online. In effect they would be for personal use only. So I'll not be getting a ticket as I don't see the point of taking photo's that you cannot share.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
The whole thing's a nonsense. I can understand someone applying for four tickets only getting allocated 2 but going for 2 and getting 1 .... with no option to then refuse it?

Really sad thing is, and I'm sure I won't be alone in this, having long looked forward to the RC coming to Scotland I ended up not even bothering to apply for tickets due to all the hassle and bureaucracy attached to it.

BoadieBroadus

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
i doubt the organisers really have any interest in selling tickets to the general public. 90% of the ticket money will be coming from the corporate crowd who spend the day in the hospitality tents. all the bureaucracy about tickets is to keep us out.

or persuade us to pay to volunteer...

happyhacker

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The whole thing's a nonsense. I can understand someone applying for four tickets only getting allocated 2 but going for 2 and getting 1 .... with no option to then refuse it?

Really sad thing is, and I'm sure I won't be alone in this, having long looked forward to the RC coming to Scotland I ended up not even bothering to apply for tickets due to all the hassle and bureaucracy attached to it.

Exactly the same, it was such a faff in the end I didn't go into ballot. Kinda regret it now but still hoping for a hospitality invite.

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was going to buy a ticket to go up for the practice days so I could take some photos and then share them in here, but after reading the rules and regs, I wold not be allowed to show them on any social media site, forum or online. In effect they would be for personal use only. So I'll not be getting a ticket as I don't see the point of taking photo's that you cannot share.

How can they stop you doing that??

bozza

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I went to Celtic Manor for the Ryder Cup for a practice day and the Friday, it was nice to experience the atmosphere but for the price you pay you don't see much golf, it's packed everywhere and the prices in the place are through the roof!

I'd doubt I'd pay to go again, rather save the money watch it at home with mates and few beers and spend the money I've saved playing a decent course that weekend.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
I know there has been numerous posts regarding the ridiculous rules they have surrounding the Ryder Cup tickets.

I can see the reason behind rules to prevent the touts taking over and over inflating prices but the rules are to the detriment of the normal golf enthusiast and public.

Here's my situation, went into the long process ballot and requested 2 tickets for Saturday so I could take my 7 year old (unlike the R&A Open etc where children go free a 7 yr old has to pay). Received an email in August saying you have been successful and allocated the tickets below (it just gives a ref number, the day and my name as the purchaser, and the fact they have taken payment).
All is well with the world- been planning making it a trip to remember for my son.

Decided to call today and check when tickets actually come out- ticket company tells me I was only allocated one ticket!!!!!! :angry:

Don't want to go without my son, cant get a refund (surely they should refund and re-sell to others desperate for a ticket) cant give it away free to a friend or family member even if I was sick or left the country!!

In their efforts to 'protect' tickets they are alienating the very people they are trying to encourage.

I had similar with celtic manor ballot luckily I hadn't paid so cancelled whole thing. They should honour complete booking or turn down not award part of it, and if do they should allow you to cancel. I suspect the small print covers it though.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
My Missus looked at getting me and The Boy full weekend tickets for my 40th, but after reading all the rules/regs/hoops to jump through, we both decided to say "Sod it". I'm going to play a few more courses in Devon/Cornwall in August instead..

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site

I'm struggling to see how they can stop you sharing a photo on line. I'd understand if you are making any money from it, but surely you can do what you want with any personal photos you take as long as it's not for commercial or financial gain, whether you do it on line, in the paper on in a photo album? It's worse then North Korea.

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Maybe the rely on the honesty factor that a golfer would comply to the rules :D

If I had paid my money and took photos needless to say I wouldn't be following their rules :D

Sound worse than the Nazis these lot!

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I went to Celtic Manor for the Ryder Cup for a practice day and the Friday, it was nice to experience the atmosphere but for the price you pay you don't see much golf, it's packed everywhere and the prices in the place are through the roof!

I'd doubt I'd pay to go again, rather save the money watch it at home with mates and few beers and spend the money I've saved playing a decent course that weekend.

Play was suspended until about 4pm on the Friday due to the rain so you wouldn't have seen very much!!

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
I'm struggling to see how they can stop you sharing a photo on line. I'd understand if you are making any money from it, but surely you can do what you want with any personal photos you take as long as it's not for commercial or financial gain, whether you do it on line, in the paper on in a photo album? It's worse then North Korea.

Most sports have/had similar restrictions - football tickets used to explicitly ban cameras - harder to do nowadays with phones having cameras.

Are phones allowed in? - I know they were at the Dunhill but I'm sure they were banned at the Open/Ryder Cup in the past.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Most sports have/had similar restrictions - football tickets used to explicitly ban cameras - harder to do nowadays with phones having cameras.

Are phones allowed in? - I know they were at the Dunhill but I'm sure they were banned at the Open/Ryder Cup in the past.

Did they??? Was never aware of that. I seem to remember reading somewhere that the golf authorities were going to treat adults like adults and allow them to carry a phone with them into the open. But I may have dreamt it.

And what is it with golf and mobiles?? We all have them, and I imagine most of us are adult enough to know when to use them or when to put them on silent, so what is the point trying to ban them from golf courses.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Did they??? Was never aware of that. I seem to remember reading somewhere that the golf authorities were going to treat adults like adults and allow them to carry a phone with them into the open. But I may have dreamt it.

And what is it with golf and mobiles?? We all have them, and I imagine most of us are adult enough to know when to use them or when to put them on silent, so what is the point trying to ban them from golf courses.

The Open still has a ban on using a phone as a camera on Tournament days (I realise the OP was referring to practice days at the Ryder Cup) - at the Dunhill there were lots of people taking pics with their phones and quite a few who didn't have them on silent - Ernie Els had a real go at an embarrassed woman who answered her phone at the top of his backswing.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
The Open still has a ban on using a phone as a camera on Tournament days (I realise the OP was referring to practice days at the Ryder Cup) - at the Dunhill there were lots of people taking pics with their phones and quite a few who didn't have them on silent - Ernie Els had a real go at an embarrassed woman who answered her phone at the top of his backswing.

did he do it in a quiet Liam Neeson kind of a way :whistle:

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Same for me, I really really want to go. A lot of people that know I love golf were surprised that I wasn't going. But the cos was too much and the faff off the process put me off. It's a shame cos I doubt there will be another Ryder cup in Scotland for years and a lot of us will not get to experience it in real life.