Rust Spots

Wiggy

Hacker
Visit site
Hi all, after playing through the winter and crappy weather, ive noticed a couple of rust spots on my shafts.

The question is, has anyone got any helpful ways of removing them? And also how can i prevent them in future? Is there anything i can use to prevent them returning?

Cheers

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Autosol from Halfords will have them looking like new. Its used for chrome, steel and any other metal surface that you want back shiney. I suppose you could rub a little polish onto them, drying them after any wet games would be best though and dont store them near tumble driers etc a they accelerate the rusting process.

Wiggy

Hacker
Visit site
Autosol from Halfords will have them looking like new. Its used for chrome, steel and any other metal surface that you want back shiney. I suppose you could rub a little polish onto them, drying them after any wet games would be best though and dont store them near tumble driers etc a they accelerate the rusting process.

Thanks for that.

I think the not drying them after wet games has been the main cause to be fair. Would you suggest using the Autosol as a prevention? Or just for the removal?

Thanks again.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Removal really, some sort of wax or polish would help a little but with bag rub etc you don't really want to use much though. Personally, a clean up and leave alone job is plenty.

A

Alex1975

After each round I play, if it has been wet or cold(condensation) I remove my head covers(I have iron head covers), clean my clubs, dry them off and then spray some WD40 onto some kitchen towel and run the shafts through it.

I believe that will also remove your rust and protect them for the next round. I dont know if what brendy has said about is abrasive as some polish can be.

Most of the time its coming from a cold course to a warm car, then warm home that makes them rust, drying them will be a great start even if you skip the other steps.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
alex autosol is a very mild abrasive and will be spot on for taking the rust off. Like you i clean/dry mine after wet rounds, and also the same in respect that if im not playing for a few weeks during damp weather, i whipe with wd40 will prevent any rusting.

The only things i cant stop rusting is the darn mpt10 wedges. they rust like a old post office van!

Wiggy

Hacker
Visit site
Cheers for all the help lads, ive just purchased some Autosol polish from the web, £5.10 with free posting so i will give that a whirl.

As i said in a previous post, not drying my clubs after i play is the cause i guess. But ive taken note of the WD40 when not playing for a couple of weeks.