rough ground and stones

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
on sunday on a par three i duffed my tee shot 10 yards yes 10 yards in front of me. it landed on dirt stones etc. this 15 yard by 15 yard ground was stripped of its turf to help make a new tee. the ground isnt marked GUR. this ground has boulders bricks large stones (our municipal course was built on a tip!!) my ball was sitting next to stones and probably on one, i thought i was entitled to a free drop (my thinking was i could damage myself and that it should be GUR) turned to my partners one said yes take a frew drop other said no if i want to move it, take a penalty drop.
i dropped under penalty, this did not cause any ill feeling betweens us and did not affect my card. whats your opinion?
ps where i dropped once i hit it a stone jumped up and hit my face :D

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
depends.

Technically if its unmarked "GUR" then its not so no free drop, but a certain amount of common sense would suggest without any discussion that this ground is being worked on a prepared so it would automatically be GUR.

If it was a comp i would have marked the score under an appeal to the committee (although im not sure if this can be done, id like to know for furture referenece)

but in a friendly game between mates i would have given the drop if my partner was agreeing.

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
well last night i was asked to join committe, so i did. and one of my playing partners brought it up. (only to slag my 12 :eek: at previous hole, 2 balls OOB, the swine) and the committe said common sense should dictate free drop. someone mentioned that this is covered in the rules. but ive had a look and cant findit

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
I had a similar situation in a County Championship, there was a patch of ground in the middle of one fairway which had been "sand & seeded" do to birds pecking away the divots looking for grubs.

I brought it to the attention of a refereee after the round (I had played it as it lie) and he sadi I should have proceeded using 2 balls (one as it lay and one taking the free drop) then brought it to their attention on finishing and they would then go and view the area and make a decision.

It was marked as GUR for the 2nd day!! :mad:

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
well last night i was asked to join committe, so i did. and one of my playing partners brought it up. (only to slag my 12 :eek: at previous hole, 2 balls OOB, the swine) and the committe said common sense should dictate free drop. someone mentioned that this is covered in the rules. but ive had a look and cant findit

and there is your answer.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I played at Smiffys old gaff. On one of the fairways there is a groove running across, where water run off has eroded a mini ditch about 4" deep. My ball was in here, and all I could do was hack (shank) it out about 4 foot, at great risk to personal injury. It looked to have been there about a year or more.

No GUR signs, and nothing written on the back of the card.

Apparently this isn't needed, as all the locals know it is a free drop.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
No GUR signs, and nothing written on the back of the card.

Apparently this isn't needed, as all the locals know it is a free drop.

They might have covered the problem with a local rule posted on the notice board and thats's how the local yokels all know - could ce a "local yokel rule"

Chris

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk

Common sense would be better served by the committee putting up a notice of local rules including this area and any others that are unmarked but should be. Then everyone knows what the rule should be. It would only take 5 minutes and could avoid lots of issues.

HughJars

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
murph did any of your partners offer a drop?

They would have done, had they seen it, but they were miles away, and I'm not going to go begging for a ruling.
If it's a bounce game why not drop it to save the risk of injury you describe, and if it was a comp, then why wouldn't you try to get a ruling? :D

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
It was a bounce game, between Leftie and me, and James and Smiffy. I am not going to ask Smiffy for a drop, or any other favour. If it is in the rules, I get it, if not, not. It is the clubs fault for ignoring what is obviously GUR for flippin ages, because the members know it's GUR even though it isn't marked. It is this sort of sloppyness that gets on my nerves.

Even in bounce games, you can't 'just take a drop'. Under penalty, yes, but if you have money on a game, you don't make up the rules.

HughJars

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
It was a bounce game, between Leftie and me, and James and Smiffy. I am not going to ask Smiffy for a drop, or any other favour. If it is in the rules, I get it, if not, not. It is the clubs fault for ignoring what is obviously GUR for flippin ages, because the members know it's GUR even though it isn't marked. It is this sort of sloppyness that gets on my nerves.

Even in bounce games, you can't 'just take a drop'. Under penalty, yes, but if you have money on a game, you don't make up the rules.
Agree with you there for sure.