rory to play masters

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi moogie, I'm parking the campervan on a site in Wylam for the week. Will I be able to gain access to the course from the cycle path or elsewhere without having to use the entrance from the main road?

Without truly knowing the answer right now, I'm going to guess its a No
Even just from a basic security stand point, can't see it being allowed

I may be at the club in the next couple of days and if so will pose the question though

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Chatting with Jezz on twitter re this , i 100% agree its great he playing , BUT, is it fair and right ?
If he had qualified for fedex he would not have given masters a second thought They hold a space for him denying a guy trying to make a living a space for a multi millionare whos only here coz he missed out on the main event in USA..

no doubt its a massive capture for organisers and they want him there to draw bigger crowds ,
Whhats ye'r thoughts on it ?.

If its a sponsor invite or similar that was held for him then I'm thinking no other player will be 'missing out' (certainly not a qualifier on the cut line) because it was always going to go to someone who hadn't qualified, doesn't really matter if its Rory or A.N Other non qualifier

Steve Bamford

Head Pro
www.golfbettingsystem.co.uk
Rory has to compete in a minimum of five European Tour sanctioned tournaments outside the Major Championships and World Golf Championships under the European Tour membership regulations. Clearly playing the British Masters and Dunhill Links makes total sense in that regard. With Sergio as well, looks like a strong ET field and even better their participation will push the odds out.

brickie

Medal Winner
Visit site
Thanks Moogie, I am not optimistic either. Was just trying to avoid a treck to the main gate when I am staying literally a long par five away.☺

JezzE

GM Staff
Visit site
Great news that he will be there, especially as I'm heading up both next week and Dunhill for a spot of GM work.

Incredibly, he's now been a pro for precisely 10 years and 1 day! So how do we all think the first decade of professional life has gone for Rory?

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Great news that he will be there, especially as I'm heading up both next week and Dunhill for a spot of GM work.

Incredibly, he's now been a pro for precisely 10 years and 1 day! So how do we all think the first decade of professional life has gone for Rory?

Had the pleasure of seeing him at his first pro event, The British Masters in 2007 at The Belfry. when he was being touted as the next big thing....they weren't wrong

Seen him play a number of times since and it has obviously been a stunning 10 years, highs and lows both professionally and personally and still at a young age, the potential for lots more to come, as long as he doesn't screw his body up.

The question to answer is " If you had a magic wand, would you trade places with Rory? " Anyone who says no is probably fibbing :)

JezzE

GM Staff
Visit site
Had the pleasure of seeing him at his first pro event, The British Masters in 2007 at The Belfry. when he was being touted as the next big thing....they weren't wrong

Seen him play a number of times since and it has obviously been a stunning 10 years, highs and lows both professionally and personally and still at a young age, the potential for lots more to come, as long as he doesn't screw his body up.

The question to answer is " If you had a magic wand, would you trade places with Rory? " Anyone who says no is probably fibbing :)

It's interesting, isn't it. I know there are scores of very good players now, but I guess you might have expected him to have won more than 1.3 tournaments a season given his enormous talent?

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It's interesting, isn't it. I know there are scores of very good players now, but I guess you might have expected him to have won more than 1.3 tournaments a season given his enormous talent?

If he has enormous talent then what does the likes of Speith, Justin Thomas, Dustin Johnson have they must be way beyond enormous talent. Rory at the moment is just an average player struggling to find work at the weekends

D

Deleted member 15344

If he has enormous talent then what does the likes of Speith, Justin Thomas, Dustin Johnson have they must be way beyond enormous talent. Rory at the moment is just an average player struggling to find work at the weekends

There is a difference between talent and form

McIlroy is not an average player - being out of form doesn't mean the player loses the ability he has

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site

I agree
For all his undoubted talent and early potential
For me, he's an under achiever. ( yes controversial)
That hasn't converted as many opportunities into wins as maybe he should have

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I agree
For all his undoubted talent and early potential
For me, he's an under achiever. ( yes controversial)
That hasn't converted as many opportunities into wins as maybe he should have

I'd go along with that especially in terms of competing over all four rounds regularly. Think that will come as he continues to age and gets back to fitness

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Won 10% of events he entered and top 10 almost 50% of the time

He isn't winning the mickey mouse insurance in bumsville like some other players.

Most his wins comes in the elite tournaments, 4 majors, 4 fedex cup play off, 2 WGC,

Guy is one of the best, we should be proud of him.

1gPBequfTfi_SJv_zTV9-g.png

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Perhaps people are disappointed as we expect too much. At his peak he is phenomenal and we want to see that every week. An on form Rory is a joy to watch.

No other Brit currently playing can touch his record and we should remember that.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not saying I'm not proud and definitely the best Brit by miles but there are still times when I feel he's not closed events he should have. That is coming and no doubt by the end of his career he'll be the best Brit ever

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played yesterday on the Filly course.
The Colt course closed as of Monday gone.
Everything is taking shape nicely, stands, signage, etc.......we stopped near the 1st on the way out, the tee box looked good enough to putt on😀

They've constructed a temporary walk over bridge, over the top road, which links the field opposite the close house property, which will be car parking, the bridge crosses the road and leads to the entry, which by the looks of it will be walking down a field which already has barriers in place down the length of the field and filter in to the bottom.

The food, refreshments, merchandise area is at the bottom of this entry point too, with a very short walk to the 1st tee. ( normally 5 for anybody familiar)

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

I think he's done fantastically well in his results and money (both prize money & sponsorship) His standout moment for me were those two long fairway wood shots on 16 & especially 18 to win in Ireland last year and then donating his prize money to boot

The other side of his professional life is a lot messier by his poor choices in Honda classic, Olympics etc etc and while nobody's perfect these mean i'll never be a fan