Rory - hmmmmmmm!

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Strangely though, more players moan when it is hard, than moan when it is easy. Some moan when the course does not fit their eye, some moan when they play badly. Some get course architecture, some don't. Players are possibly the worse people to ask. In general, they are clueless.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
He isn’t wrong in what he says though and believe he also said it before - he was criticised because he made the course “unfair” and hard.

Golf is an entertainment business and we want to see birdies and players shooting low scores and who ever has the lowest score wins, the set up is the same for everyone and the best player over the 4 days wins no matter how hard or easy the course has been set up, let's face it rory isn't the greatest wedge player or ever a good putter so maybe he should go work on these parts of his game if he wants to win

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
A world class golfer who can't play easy courses? I think you're the one who needs more coffee.

I also note once Murph put you back in your box you didn't have a reply.

US Tour is more of a bomb it, pitch and putt scenario than Europe is.

He didn't answer a single question I actually posed him. I'm not going to debate with myself am I? Not much point as there wasn't anything to reply to.

I notice youve offered the same style of response, dodging all the actual questions and just bleating. Serious lack of debating skill, although at least that's a continuation of your (lack of) form on that front. Saves me time next go round, no point even reading it. 👋🏻

P. S. he can play easy courses, he shot -15! That's literally what he's complaining about - admits he didnt play that well yet that's his score. Similar to the Scottish Open on that joke course they're going back to next year

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
He didn't answer a single question I actually posed him. I'm not going to debate with myself am I? Not much point as there wasn't anything to reply to.

I notice youve offered the same style of response, dodging all the actual questions and just bleating. Serious lack of debating skill, although at least that's a continuation of your (lack of) form on that front. Saves me time next go round, no point even reading it. 👋🏻

P. S. he can play easy courses, he shot -15! That's literally what he's complaining about - admits he didnt play that well yet that's his score. Similar to the Scottish Open on that joke course they're going back to next year

Well at least we agree re the Scottish Open.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
He probably has a more holistic point to make somewhere in his ramblings that might well have some validity and a good discussion point for Tour organisers but his timing and articulation mean much of it will be lost in the negative reaction

Whinging about a pro-am course set up when he was only there because his dad asked to play the pro-am with him. This portion of the event will always dictate the set up and the pro event held zero draw or appeal for him for his 2019 schedule. Not every event should be set up like the US Open because not every tournament has that strength of field
Weirdly the win he wants more than any other has naff-all punishment for belting the ball into the trees off the tee & 200+ yard recovery shots out of trees are seen many times every single day! (you actually have to leave the course and visit someone’s garden to get penalised at Augusta)

He came across as a sore loser & (still) disrespectful to his peers, imagine disagreeing with the tie-break method in his post round interview rather than focus comments at that time to congratulating the winners & thanking fans/sponsors… seriously, just imagine if you behaved like that at your local club and see what the others think of you

It’s one thing to be honest when asked Q’s, it’s another to be rude & disrespectful

D

Deleted member 15344

Golf is an entertainment business and we want to see birdies and players shooting low scores and who ever has the lowest score wins, the set up is the same for everyone and the best player over the 4 days wins no matter how hard or easy the course has been set up, let's face it rory isn't the greatest wedge player or ever a good putter so maybe he should go work on these parts of his game if he wants to win
I think you are missing the point he is trying to make

He didn’t play that well , he admitted as such, he didn’t drive the ball well and his normal strengths were below par yet he still went around in 15 under because there was no punishment for poor driving across the three courses , it was even worse at the Scottish Open , it wasn’t penal enough if you played a bad shot. You shouldn’t play not that great and still get 15 under - if you miss the fairway it should be a hard shot to get back into play - when he wins its when he drive the ball well and keeps it in the fairway whilst the rough is punishing so others get penalised - is that not how it should be ?

I suspect most have looked at the comments and timing and just called him a sore loser - but if you actually read and listen to him it’s not that at all and when you look at what other golf related people like Ernie Els are saying they agree with him

So maybe when you take away the anti Rory bias ( because there is some ) you can actually see where he is coming from

The timing was poor - no doubt about that and be acknowledged that and he is right about the Pro Am results - should be the lowest gross etc

Here is Phil Kenyons outlook

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Yes if he wants to win for a 4th time this year, more than 4 majors and more than 30 career wins he definitely needs to sharpen up in these areas!!

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I think you are missing the point he is trying to make

He didn’t play that well , he admitted as such, he didn’t drive the ball well and his normal strengths were below par yet he still went around in 15 under because there was no punishment for poor driving across the three courses , it was even worse at the Scottish Open , it wasn’t penal enough if you played a bad shot. You shouldn’t play not that great and still get 15 under - if you miss the fairway it should be a hard shot to get back into play - when he wins its when he drive the ball well and keeps it in the fairway whilst the rough is punishing so others get penalised - is that not how it should be ?

I suspect most have looked at the comments and timing and just called him a sore loser - but if you actually read and listen to him it’s not that at all and when you look at what other golf related people like Ernie Els are saying they agree with him

So maybe when you take away the anti Rory bias ( because there is some ) you can actually see where he is coming from

The timing was poor - no doubt about that and be acknowledged that and he is right about the Pro Am results - should be the lowest gross etc

Here is Phil Kenyons outlook

So the point is he didn't play well, finished down the field then complains the set up is wrong? Makes him sound even more disrespectful to his fellow pro's who did play well enough to finish higher up the field than the bitter Rory. Rory has a crap short game that's what he's crying about, other pro's this week knocked it closer and holed more putts on three courses set up the same for every player in the field.

Rory is coming across as a spoiled huffy 10 year old who isn't getting his own way.

Visit site
The courses they play on the PGA Tour are so mundane and boring that I don't even watch it, the terrible coverage on SkySports is another reason.

All the PGA Tour can offer is bomb it, wedge it, putt it... There is no rough that equates to a penalty, and water which offers a drop zone on the fairway for an easy up and down.

D

Deleted member 15344

So the point is he didn't play well, finished down the field then complains the set up is wrong? Makes him sound even more disrespectful to his fellow pro's who did play well enough to finish higher up the field than the bitter Rory. Rory has a crap short game that's what he's crying about, other pro's this week knocked it closer and holed more putts on three courses set up the same for every player in the field.

Rory is coming across as a spoiled huffy 10 year old who isn't getting his own way.

Do you actually read what has been posted ? Or just keep ploughing along head down hands cupping ears not listening?

Read what some of the pros and coaches have to say about it

Take away that it’s Rory saying it and actually see what it is that is being said

At a number of the ET events - Scottish Open a big one if a player hits off line should they have the same level of shot as someone who hits it in the fairway ? Should there be more punishment for people missing fairways ? Should a bad tee shot result in a nice lie ?

Watch the US events and see how thick some of the rough is 5 yards offline - it’s punishing and players then have to take a risk - you don’t get that at a number of ET events and that’s including the Scottish Open and PGA

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Do you actually read what has been posted ? Or just keep ploughing along head down hands cupping ears not listening?

Read what some of the pros and coaches have to say about it

Take away that it’s Rory saying it and actually see what it is that is being said

At a number of the ET events - Scottish Open a big one if a player hits off line should they have the same level of shot as someone who hits it in the fairway ? Should there be more punishment for people missing fairways ? Should a bad tee shot result in a nice lie ?

Watch the US events and see how thick some of the rough is 5 yards offline - it’s punishing and players then have to take a risk - you don’t get that at a number of ET events and that’s including the Scottish Open and PGA

Sore looser - FACT.

Rory has thrown his toys out yet again.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Still think if he and others who rely on their distance and accuracy off the tee developed short games similar to those more reliant of having to hit GIR and then recover if they don't they'd be better all round golfers, could adapt to the courses presented and win more. I agree the Scottish Open course is a very poor choice as it stands although I wonder if they will take note of the flak and toughen it for next year. I think though if you look at the US scoring most weeks where -15 doesn't get into the mix and I'd suggest it is those courses that need looking at. I'd argue that 99% of their course have no rough and people can play and move the ball from anywhere and disagree with LP that most have thick rough 5 yards offline (bar the majors) and that the ET actually has a far more eclectic mix often with more challenging rough. Perhaps if McIlroy and others spent more time playing more ET events at times they'd change their view

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Did Rory just expect to pitch up and win the event, well sorry lad you need to beat what's in front of you and as for the team event well I am sure the rules were clear prior to the event so why he even had to mention anything is beyond me and just another childish dig.

Rory go back the the States

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Why is everyone taking a great big dump on the Scottish open this year?

It was played in weather which is nearly alien to scotland. The pros tear apart every course in the world when the sun shines and there is no wind. Especially links courses where they dont trick up the green speeds.

Springveldt

Visit site
I don't, I like to see those f*****s suffer like I do every Saturday. :LOL:

I agree with the point Rory is trying to get across (poorly as usual) and the timing would seem like sour grapes but the PGA Tour has the same issue a lot of weeks. They have 60 yard wide fairways over there and you don't get punished for missing them most times as well.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1147

Still think if he and others who rely on their distance and accuracy off the tee developed short games similar to those more reliant of having to hit GIR and then recover if they don't they'd be better all round golfers, could adapt to the courses presented and win more. I agree the Scottish Open course is a very poor choice as it stands although I wonder if they will take note of the flak and toughen it for next year. I think though if you look at the US scoring most weeks where -15 doesn't get into the mix and I'd suggest it is those courses that need looking at. I'd argue that 99% of their course have no rough and people can play and move the ball from anywhere and disagree with LP that most have thick rough 5 yards offline (bar the majors) and that the ET actually has a far more eclectic mix often with more challenging rough. Perhaps if McIlroy and others spent more time playing more ET events at times they'd change their view

1 - He's the world number 2 golfer. He won 3 times in pretty big events. He was 25th best at scrambling on the PGA tour last year, as well as 1st in strokes gained tee to green. So he didn't miss greens too often, but when he did, he got up and down 63% of the time.
2 - The courses in the US do have deep rough not far from the fairway, just look at Sawgrass, East Lake, Canada (all 3 on which he won).
3 - You disagree with LP on everything. About 30,000 of your 60,000 inane posts are disagreeing with LP.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I think pretty much everything he said about how he played himself, how he drove the ball, what score he achieved, where that score placed him in the field, how penal it was, how easy it was to recover etc… is all irrelevant… because it was set up as a Pro-Am.
It has zero relevance to the set up at any other european tour event (it’s weird that a player of his calibre would come out with that after playing a course set up for a pro-am, it beggars belief he thinks it should be set up any other way than it was)
I mean one of the world’s best looked at the entry list and believed deep down that the way to go for course set up was to build up the rough, narrow fairways, stick more pins near bunkers and generally set the place up to suit the recovery skills of only the very best players in attendance :unsure:

If he intended to exclude the Dunhill and have his comments apply only to other ET events then he did it very wrong, 100% his fault & the 20cappers cant be blamed. I'm not even sure the data supports his point anyway except for this years SO (but he had a negative bias of that before he played it)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
1 - He's the world number 2 golfer. He won 3 times in pretty big events. He was 25th best at scrambling on the PGA tour last year, as well as 1st in strokes gained tee to green. So he didn't miss greens too often, but when he did, he got up and down 63% of the time.
2 - The courses in the US do have deep rough not far from the fairway, just look at Sawgrass, East Lake, Canada (all 3 on which he won).
3 - You disagree with LP on everything. About 30,000 of your 60,000 inane posts are disagreeing with LP.

I disagree about the US rough. Look at most courses (and even the AT&T pro am at Pebble Beach) and the rough is far from penal. Most courses are designed to favour the bombers and most never get punished for missing a fairway. Others have said similar on here. Funny how in ET (and co-sanctioned) events he's only 27th in the Race to Dubai

Have a look at his ET stats and his driving accuracy is poor (and last year) and so maybe it's more he's getting found out more and less able to scramble from ET rough and courses. Granted there is a huge improvement in GIR in 2019 but look at the putting and maybe that's the real weak area. Of course stats can be used to prove any amount of argument so accept your point as I hope you'll see mine too

D

Deleted member 1147

I disagree about the US rough. Look at most courses (and even the AT&T pro am at Pebble Beach) and the rough is far from penal. Most courses are designed to favour the bombers and most never get punished for missing a fairway. Others have said similar on here. Funny how in ET (and co-sanctioned) events he's only 27th in the Race to Dubai

Have a look at his ET stats and his driving accuracy is poor (and last year) and so maybe it's more he's getting found out more and less able to scramble from ET rough and courses. Granted there is a huge improvement in GIR in 2019 but look at the putting and maybe that's the real weak area. Of course stats can be used to prove any amount of argument so accept your point as I hope you'll see mine too

You know the points system for the R2D has changed this year, so's not to favour money earned. It's about positions rather than cash, so play less & don't win you won't do a well as in previous years (same goes for Rose, Stenson, Hatton etc) Lowry is on top because he won twice.

Also, the US courses favour bombers because their is little danger is offline where they hit it, so they can play driver and gouge a wedge (from the deep rough), the shorter hitters are at risk more as the hazards are where they hit the ball.
The AT&T is a pro-am, just like the Dunhill, so isn't set up as hard as for the majors it holds, but the event at Torrey Pines 2 weeks before sure was deep, Jack's place is always incredibly lush, same for Arnie's, etc etc etc

Trapdraw

Medal Winner
Visit site
It does come across as sour grapes, it seems like he is trying to get excuses in for when he announces that he will not play on the European Tour at all next year. The real issue is with club and ball technology, drivers that are easy to hit far and straight and golf balls that don’t really move around much. If he was so concerned about the game and how easy courses are why doesn’t he mention equipment?