Rory - hmmmmmmm!

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think his point is, he is long and accurate. You don’t need both of these to compete in these events

Yep he is long and accurate but his approach game, with wedges especially, and putting is relatively poor by comparison so he hands his advantage off the tee back in spadefuls. If the courses are that easy, and he is longer and more accurate than everyone else, why doesn't he win every time he tee's it up?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
The problem with easy set ups is that it turns the week into a putting contest. They're all much of a muchness putting wise over a season so it just comes down to who is hot that week. Absolutely no reward for ball striking or shot making.

He's absolutely bang on. You shouldn't have 40 odd players shooting in the teens under par.

So the US Tour is clearly wrong also.

D

Deleted member 1147

Yep he is long and accurate but his approach game, with wedges especially, and putting is relatively poor by comparison so he hands his advantage off the tee back in spadefuls. If the courses are that easy, and he is longer and more accurate than everyone else, why doesn't he win every time he tee's it up?
I think that often the best players like, and are more successful, on the tougher courses.
Look at Koepka, he’s more successful on major tracks than the easy week in week out courses. Same for Woods.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
This is the same Woods who is second on the all time tour wins list? Who at one point had a win ratio on the PGA tour of one win every 3 entries.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think that often the best players like, and are more successful, on the tougher courses.
Look at Koepka, he’s more successful on major tracks than the easy week in week out courses. Same for Woods.

Not really sure I follow your logic unless they just don't concentrate as much on "easier" courses?

Over last few years Koepka has thrived on the tougher courses, McIlroy hasn't really though has he?

Edit: I do agree the easier courses tend to make it pretty much a wedges and putting comp, again putting McIlroy at a disadvantage as they are the weakest parts of his game. PGA Tour is largely a wedge and putt comp most weeks.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
So the US Tour is clearly wrong also.

The 'fall season' events are the same. As are a few in the summer when the top players dodge playing a specific schedule n the middle of major season - the one in Detroit last year, their first at the course was an absolute shocker and the one Wolff won at was awful.

Outside of that, take the 'real' season from Torrey through to the Tour Champ and there's not many weak set ups at all - especially the ones the top 20 guys actually play in.

D

Deleted member 1147

This is the same Woods who is second on the all time tour wins list? Who at one point had a win ratio on the PGA tour of one win every 3 entries.
Often his wins were on the same courses.
Muirfield village, Firestone, Bay Hill, Augusta etc
He got to the point where he kept playing his favourite tracks and kept winning on them.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
Not really sure I follow your logic unless they just don't concentrate as much on "easier" courses?

Over last few years Koepka has thrived on the tougher courses, McIlroy hasn't really though has he?

Edit: I do agree the easier courses tend to make it pretty much a wedges and putting comp, again putting McIlroy at a disadvantage as they are the weakest parts of his game. PGA Tour is largely a wedge and putt comp most weeks.

No, it's that the field doesn't get separated as easily on easier courses as poor shots aren't punished as much. So it's harder to win against a guy with a hot putter.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
No, it's that the field doesn't get separated as easily on easier courses as poor shots aren't punished as much. So it's harder to win against a guy with a hot putter.

Yep that's true (y)

However if he was able to take advantage of his good shots off the tee he'd be much closer on those weeks, IMO. As I said, just seems an odd week to highlight it to me, but then I don't watch many ET events throughout the year.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
Yep that's true (y)

However if he was able to take advantage of his good shots off the tee he'd be much closer on those weeks, IMO. As I said, just seems an odd week to highlight it to me, but then I don't watch many ET events throughout the year.

I don't think he necessarily highlighted it - he was asked if he would play more ET next year and gave his answer as no, and when pushed to explain why he gave a typically unfiltered answer into his thoughts. Its not like he came out looking for a chance to moan or highlight it straight away in his post round presser.

He's refreshingly honest imo, although sometimes I bet his management wishes he wasn't!

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Let’s face it he was only there because his dad asked him to play... and;

It’s really good that a pro-am team comp with his dad still gets him motivated & fired up to try his best, just like it does for many regular am golfers
It’s really poor that losing said pro-am on the 'count-back' turns him into a whiny sore loser just like the worst examples of regular am golfers

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think the Dunhill is a poor example as it's a once a year format off forward tees. I like the variation of the ET courses and think they offer a wider test of golfing abilities compared to the rip it and target golf of the US tour. Not sure I see what McIlroy is getting at, especially if you look at a performance like Portrush or the first round at Wentworth. I am not sure he plays distinctly better on harder courses and benefits from tougher set ups

dronfield

Visit site
The Dunhill is a bit of a mickey mouse tournament to be fair, forward tees and 64s being regular scores by average tour players.

Agreed, the courses are generally set up so that they are fair for the amateurs.

Personally, i have no interest in watching Z list celebs hacking round - imo the tournament would be improved if they kept the format, toughened up the course lay outs and removed the "celebs".

Rich

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Agreed, the courses are generally set up so that they are fair for the amateurs.

Personally, i have no interest in watching Z list celebs hacking round - imo the tournament would be improved if they kept the format, toughened up the course lay outs and removed the "celebs".

Rich

Although some of these fellas are maybe potential/past ET event sponsors/contributors etc (like that bloke who got a game with a pro cos his dad made custard)

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
He has also said he didn't play his best this week. So he expects to win, playing his B game. No, that isn't going to work. It's not course set up that is the problem, it's him. He is a child.

Tell me where he said he expects to win?

The only petulance is your attitude toward him.

Was it the post where you called him crap that didn't get enough attention, or the one where you called him an idiot?