Rory - hmmmmmmm!

JonW

Visit site
Whilst I agree with Rory and would like to see the courses (both sides of the pond) more challenging for the pros, he has to remember that this event was also a pro-am. If every pin is tucked behind a bunker or on a slope then it make take the amateurs six hours to get round and make their day miserable. He came second in the pro-am, so he (and his dad) are getting rewards for good play.

D

Deleted member 15344

Agreed, the courses are generally set up so that they are fair for the amateurs.

Personally, i have no interest in watching Z list celebs hacking round - imo the tournament would be improved if they kept the format, toughened up the course lay outs and removed the "celebs".

Rich

As mentioned somewhere else - this event is an excellent earning for charity and golf foundations , it’s the same as the Peeble Beach Pro Am’s

These have a place on the tour , there are always normally placed during a quiet period on the tours

dronfield

Visit site
As mentioned somewhere else - this event is an excellent earning for charity and golf foundations , it’s the same as the Peeble Beach Pro Am’s

These have a place on the tour , there are always normally placed during a quiet period on the tours

Phil - i really enjoy the 3 course format, particularly as i love links golf.
Could they not just hold a charity fund raiser pro am on the Wed, and then play the event in the same format for the pros thurs- sun. I accept that the Ams would only get to play on one course, but does that really matter?

Just my opinion on how the event could be improved.

Rich

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Not sure if this has been taken out of context, or is a bit tongue in cheek (I'd guess it probably was inteded that way knowing how Rory likes to handle himself with the media these days) - but the only events he's played have been the Scottish Open and the Dunhill?

The Scottish was at a resort links course and there was virtually no wind. A bit of wind and -15 could have looked like a very good score.
And the Dunhill is a pro-am where pins are generally fairly accessible to give the amateurs a chance.
If they'd set that up for Pros all 4 days, then they could have worked the scoring back a shot or two each day easilly.

Also - you have to say, a small sample size.

-15 would have gotten him T4 at Wentworth, solo 2nd in Ireland & T3 in Abu Dhabi - which are 3 events that might have been on his schedule most other years prior to the new PGA Tour Schedule.

So I'd suggest Rory needs to look at his schedule a bit more and pick the events he thinks suit his superior ball striking.

Also worth noting that a huge number of events on the PGA Tour are played on a Par 70 these days... in reality this is a Par 72 that is changed to a Par 70 when the pros are in town. So Rory's -22 to win the Canadian Open was more like a -30. On the PGA Tour, the Old Course length would be a Par 70 all day long with a couple of 215 yard par 3s in there.

D

Deleted member 15344

Could they not just hold a charity fund raiser pro am on the Wed, and then play the event in the same format for the pros thurs- sun. I accept that the Ams would only get to play on one course, but does that really matter?

Rich

Improved for who though ? The whole idea is for the Am’s to play the three courses and a lot of money is spent by them to raise money, the Pros seem to enjoy the format. It’s something different that has proved to be very successful for many reasons and believe the crowds there are more than you get at a number of events.

As for Rory - he speaks his mind , no issues with that , I can sort of see where he is coming from , most of the European Events do have high scoring bar the ones in Morocco , not sure the comparison with the US events but I would rather him being open and honest .

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
A McIlroy thread is always amusing and always consistent - as opposed to a European Tour Event, it seems.

McIlroy says something and gets criticized; then gets defended. McIlroy will never win another tournament of relevance, he's that bad at putting & wedge play. Then wins Players and twice more. But really, whilst it's 3 wins, they weren't the right 3 wins. Wins player of the year, as voted for by his peers (fellow professionals who probably know something about golf). Nah, wrong choice. Just because he's been consistent on the PGA tour doesn't mean he's player of the year. You know, because top 10s are great and all, but really, being runner up at the Majors is where it's at. Just ask Louis Oosthuizen.

Ultimately, I'm not really sure what we want from McIlroy, there is no middle ground. The media appreciate his candidness and fellow professionals have the utmost respect for him; he divides fans down the middle, says too much, says too little, achieved too much for limited talent, achieved too little for his natural ability. Would we rather have interviews with Koepka, DJ, Rose etc., which, really (although I do like the latter) are pretty much non-events? I like a McIlroy interview - not as much as a Stenson interview, or indeed a Pepperell interview, but he gives answers about what he thinks, not what he thinks you want to here to maintain the status quo.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Rich
They could do that but wouldn't it then become like every other event on the tour? From a viewers perspective its nice to see something different.

dronfield

Visit site
They could do that but wouldn't it then become like every other event on the tour? From a viewers perspective its nice to see something different.

The 3 links courses concept would mean the event was still different to all the other European tour ones?

I guess i am just bored of watching the likes of Bill Murray, Botham (Snr & Jnr), Redknapp, Timberlake etc etc - feels a tired format. Appreciate the event raises considerable monies for charities.

Rich

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I really enjoyed watching it this weekend, yes the pro am feel to it is a bit gimmicky but I thought some of the golf was fantastic. I liked the fact that they had to play different shots compared to just smashing it straight and long and whoever hits it the longest wins. Really showed the short game and putting too - thought it was great to watch.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm also in the camp of enjoying the different format.

The Sky coverage didn't have too much of the amateurs either, just the right amount for me.

I wouldn't want to watch this format every week, but once a season is good fun, same as I wouldn't want to watch matchplay all the time either. Variety is a good thing.

Plus, any event that attracts a slightly different audience to the usual one, can only be a good thing for golf, no?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
OK lets try again, where did he moan about -16 not winning?

Ok, you got me, he moans because -16 leaves him in joint 26. My mistake, he would clearly be much happier finishing 25th, or 24th.

Does it really make any difference? I really don't get your problem?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Quote, I am sick of coming back over to the European tour and shooting 15 under par and finishing 30th.

There you go. Much better. Nothing about winning.

But in fact, he shot -16 for a T26, so he should be happy to be on target?

IanMcC

Visit site
Since the start of the new turnaround season on his beloved USPGA Tour, the winning scores have been 21, 18 and 17 under. His 15 under still would not have him in the frame.
Oh, and they were not pro ams on links courses in good conditions.
He really is a bit of a tube at times.

D

Deleted member 1147

I think Rory’s issue is that he’s not very good at saying what he means.

Compare him with Spieth who seems very articulate and media savvy, and he seems like a newcomer to the whole media game.
He probably had a very good point to get across but it got lost in translation from brain to mouth.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
Since the start of the new turnaround season on his beloved USPGA Tour, the winning scores have been 21, 18 and 17 under. His 15 under still would not have him in the frame.
Oh, and they were not pro ams on links courses in good conditions.
He really is a bit of a tube at times.

He doesn't ever play in those events, which actually fits his narrative. They're shootouts on easy set ups. He wants to play at tougher courses and events as he rightly believes that gives him the best chance of a good finish. They happen to be tournaments in the US predominantly. Not all of the US tournaments - he never said that.

The ET has a chance during the weak PGA tour period in Sept/Oct to stack their schedule with large purses and tough courses to try and make it attractive to the best in the world and instead they play 5 tournaments for less than €2m purse and a pro am! Only 3 decent events in the whole run - it's baffling.

SatchFan

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I think Rory’s issue is that he’s not very good at saying what he means.

Compare him with Spieth who seems very articulate and media savvy, and he seems like a newcomer to the whole media game.
He probably had a very good point to get across but it got lost in translation from brain to mouth.

Good analogy with Speith. For me, Rory always seems to speak from the bottom of his heart but it often sounds like it comes out of the heart of his bottom.