Rory calls off wedding!

Mastercracker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
When he was just coming through people would make excuses for him saying things like "leave him alone, he's only young!"

Well he's 25 now and still goes on like a spoiled brat with zero class

Exactly my thoughts on Rory. The hype has been there since he was a kid, unfortunately he started to believe his own hype too much.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Sure wasn't the whole Rory/Wozza thing just a PR stunt anyway? ;-)

I seriously doubt it. He has unceremoniously dumped her days after sending out their wedding invitations :eek: Stating "it's me not her" type quotes.

It must be very embarrassing for Caroline to be treated this way publicly and privately

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
certainly more to it than meets the eye. why send out wedding invites then dump the girl? could easily quote wanting to knuckle down to the golf as a reason for postponing the wedding for a few years.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Love it how we all know what is best for someone that we don't even know. Lots of people call off engagements,it's really not a big deal.

C

c1973

Better he call it off than get married when he doesn't want to and immediately regret it.

True, but as said it could have been done prior to the invites going out. Shameful behaviour imo.

Woods got absolutely slaughtered for cheating on his missus, wonder if Rory will get a similar reaction for his treatment of Wozniacki (spelling?) ?

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
True, but as said it could have been done prior to the invites going out. Shameful behaviour imo.

Woods got absolutely slaughtered for cheating on his missus, wonder if Rory will get a similar reaction for his treatment of Wozniacki (spelling?) ?

Who said he has cheated? Total non-story

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site

?

What was his other option , assuming (dangerous i know) it only hit him when the invites made him realise it was a reality ,

Question to all

If your son or daughter thought they were making a mistake getting married , even the morning of the wedding what would you advise them to do .. ?

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
What was his other option , assuming (dangerous i know) it only hit him when the invites made him realise it was a reality ,

Question to all

If your son or daughter thought they were making a mistake getting married , even the morning of the wedding what would you advise them to do .. ?

Exactly, much better he calls it off than goes through with something he clearly isn't happy with. Is there a good way to call off a Wedding, not really. Whatever you do, someone is going to be hurt by the decision unless it is mutual. It's life and no one is perfect.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site

Question to all

I'd advise them not to do it. And I could understand more if it had happened on day of wedding, just not sure sending the invites is such a big trigger. Of course it's different for stars. Did he really write the envelopes and post them like the rest of them? Because if he did, then the days it would have taken him will have given him time I have made a decision.

Hammertoe

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I hope i'm wrong but I have a feeling we may have already seen the best of Young Rory, I always thought he was a magnificient ambassador for golf and for good old Norn Iron, obviously I dont know the lad (I do drive past his old house everyday though) but he just can't seem to get his head right and if that's not right his game never will be, hopefully he doesnt become another David Duval.

C

c1973

Question to all

My opinion is that I find it hard to believe that this would 'just hit you'. I think it more likely that you would be thinking about it for a wee while, giving you plenty time to discuss it with your partner and act accordingly. Letting your partner send out invites and calling it off a few days later? Nah, not for me, shameful behaviour and the actions of a guy that thinks the world revolves around him imo.

Sorry, but Rory has went down in my estimation over the past couple of years. He's all the man he'll ever be at 25 and not a daft immature boy anymore and should start showing it.

Not asking folks to agree, just giving my opinion on something he has made public.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
To go against the grain....

At least he's had the balls to call it, rather than go ahead and divorce by 27 - isn't that better?

No doubt, as per agreement with Caroline W and her management, the onus has been on him to release the statement, in which he accepts the entire blame, and wishes her the best - if he hadn't, he'd still be getting pelters. He'd be screwed no matter what statement he released. But, given the interest in his relationship, he had to release a statement.

It's his personal life, should he just have carried on? If he's not sure, he's done the right thing for them both. And it's not my business.

He's 25, immature and spoilt? Yes, he's only 25, which is young and having been 25 and currently working with 25s, they are young and not anywhere near as worldly wise as they think they are. And spoilt... he's young, talented and rich. Is Spieth not spoilt? Actually, I don't find RM spoilt - he's well mannered, honest, frank and makes mistakes. Sometimes there's petulance on the course, but sometimes I'm petulant and the course and I don't hate myself (I don't think!).

He hasn't been sleeping around and smacking his golf club against cars. His relationship hasn't worked out. It's crappy, but that's the reality. Relationships are hard. Reality bites at different times for people, it just so happened it was after the invites. No doubt it's embarrassing, but what would you have had him do? Carry on?

Anyway, he plays golf - the celebrity and media interest in his relationship is not of his making and I don't think he courts it or milks it.

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
An ever growing catelogue of errors from Mr McIlroy where his personal life is detracting from the bit I see, his golf.

Couldn't give a monkeys about his private life, and it's none of my business anyway, but I do feel disappointed to watch his golf and see a pale imitation of what once was - and not that long ago either.