Rory - A class Act

Just watched skys how the masters was won as i went to bed last night after Rory had 4 putted 12 as i refuse to watch "car crash" television (and i was cold and knackered)
Anyway i just saw the highlights program and can not believe he had the bottle to come out and give an interview to Skys Tim Barter. If i had been him i would have been half way down a bottle of cragganmore as soon as I had signed my score card or been in a taxi to the airport before you could say meltdown.
The kid is a class act and i hope he does not the same way a Sergio eg promises so much but never wins a major (yet)
As a father myself I hope his Dad gives him a big pat on the back for what he has achived already even though he is only 21 and tells him his time will come again.

:cool:

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
For me him giving he's game ball to the little kid as he left 18 was him being a true sportsman. None of the other players did that which is a shame as their meant to be role models. That young kid will treasure that all be it the car crash ball, but still a piece if priceless sports memorabilia

The fact he could do that after he's worst possible day is just something else.

jammag

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I was suprised he came and done an interview after as well but it will be a massive learning curve for him. I was suprised how honest he was in saying that he was too young and didnt know how to deal wiht the pressure of leading a major.

On the other hand I am kinda glad he didnt win it as I think he would of then been compared to tiger and the pressure wouldve been worse for him to go on and win another major. You have to remember he has only won once (i think) on the international circuit. At least now at 21 hes had it in his grasp and has that to aim at rather than winning it so young and then thinking he hasnt got to get any better.

Also I think this has highlighted how much his putting has let him down and needs to work on this. He has proven he can drive long and his iron play is very good. I think the round which probably cost him most dearly was the 2nd round where he missed no end of putts left and could easily have shot another 5 shots less with better putts.

This is hyper critical I know but he could be a class act in the very near future if he works on the putting as I am sure having felt how he did after 72 holes he will make sure he never melts like that again.

Matty

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It's amazing that he felt able to talk about that last round at all - I'd have been so gutted I probably wouldn't spoken for weeks to anyone!!

I'd have been very happy for him had he held it together and won the Master but my opinion of him as a man has risen so much higher based on the way he has conducted himself after not winning.

It is behaviour like this on and off the course that will hopefully have droves of people faithfully supporting him in years to come over what I am sure will be a very successful career.

Tiger

Money List Winner
rub-of-the-green.blogspot.com
Whilst I agree with the sentiments if this thread I think it does need a little perspective. The TV feed stopped following Rory after his pulled tee shot at 13. An eagle there - albeit unlikely - would have given a sliver of hope he could get back in contention. Once that tee shot went left the dream was well and truly over. More importantly he would have known it. That gives him from the 13th to 18th to compose himself and reflect on what went wrong.

I still give him massive kudos for coming out to face the cameras but I think that this gap gave him the opportunity to provide a more measured performance. If the wheels had come off on 16 - 18 I think we'd have seen a more emotional and angry figure in the post round interview.

He is a class act and I hope that kid on 18 got that ball signed because WHEN McIlroy wins multiple Majors the log cabin ball will be a collector's piece!

Toby_LeRhone

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks to the OP for posting this. My 8 year old son has been having a little trouble with sportsmanship in football at school (not taking occasional failure too well, that kind of thing). He sat with me to watch the final day of the Masters (no school on Monday). After the live coverage switched from Mcilroy on the 13th he said to me something like 'Daddy, Mcilroy has walked off the course; he's not playing anymore'. What followed for me was a useful example of how, despite adversity, a great sportman will continue to try his best and finish no matter what; out of respect for himself, his fellow competitors and for the game itself. Thankfully he did. Okay, my son still wants to be David Beckham when he grows up but I think he got the point.

T

thecraw

I think he's a lucky so and so to have all that natural talent and ability. A finer ball striker you will not find on the British Isles.

I do think he could do with some serious input from a short game coach like Mark Roe or similar. He also needs to either toughen up mentally and think through his shot choices or get a better caddy.

With that said I think he's a breath of fresh air and a wonderful kid, he is still a kid after all. I would love to see him come back stronger but the only way I can see him getting stronger is to become a much much better putter!

Good luck Rors, lets see the man in you and capture The Open this year.

T

thecraw

Just watched the interview there on Sky and I certainly agree, very humble and mature.

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
OK - just to spark a bit of debate ...
Does saying "it's all experience, and you learn from experience" etc actually work ?
To me that's what people that are happy with contending (and losing, and taking a runner up paycheck) woudl say
(and you can find loads of those in golf , cricket, the ENgland football team etc etc)
Whereas a winner (e.g. woods) does NOT say that - he is vsiibly agahast that he coudl lose, still after every shot.

Nice guy is Rory. Bllody good golfer too
But i'dlike him to be a winner, not a perennial runner up.
Tell it like it is - e.g "I'm seriously Pi****d off that i went off teh rails today, and that is going to stick with me for ever, and i am going to be harder to beat as a result, adn roll on the Open/US Open when i am going to be seriously a challenge"
The other guys who does that is Poulter - and what do we do, we knock him for his confidence.

Let's hope he is now even more driven to achieve

I still think it takes something special to be leading teh Masters for 3 1/2 days .

Pete435

Visit site
Tell it like it is - e.g "I'm seriously Pi****d off that i went off teh rails today, and that is going to stick with me for ever, and i am going to be harder to beat as a result, adn roll on the Open/US Open when i am going to be seriously a challenge"

That's basically what he said. He was visibly shaken in the interview shown on the BBC afterwards. He just put it politely & showed true guts to get in front of the camera so soon after his round!
I agree with the sentiments, he is a class act & he'll be back even stronger. What happened to him will put him in a good position next time.
Leading for 3 1/2 rounds was brilliant.
Next time Rory........