Roll Back Discussion

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Should pull it back 50 yards for the pro's. Not sure how but it would become a far more interesting game again.
Is correct, and that is probably close to the number. 330 back to 270 would bring the game to an optimum variety of second shots of the full range of distances to par 4s, and par 5s in two playing properly to the design of their greens. I did not hear if they put any justification for limiting the roll back to the extent they have. They do need to face some press conferences though to explain that, and presume they will be pressed on that point.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
By the same token they can now hit at bunkers that previously they laid up short of as they would have reached, so it is swings and roundabouts.

10 to 15 yards moves the average approach (175 yards) from a soft 8 to a fuller one, hardly game changing.
The last roll back we had in the 80s took 20 yards off the AVERAGE golfers driver. Which was already shorter than we are today. It made no difference to any of us really. So this one will only have 1/3 of the effect of that one. It will similarly be absorbed without issue too.
A lot of people forgetting this one. Or werent around at the time

D-S

Visit site
The last roll back we had in the 80s took 20 yards off the AVERAGE golfers driver. Which was already shorter than we are today. It made no difference to any of us really. So this one will only have 1/3 of the effect of that one. It will similarly be absorbed without issue too.
A lot of people forgetting this one. Or werent around at the time
I’m not worried about the negligible effect on the normal golfer, my issue with this is the minimal effect it will have on the Pro game. If there is really an ecological need or sporting integrity or whatever they state, why do so little? If it is the first of a series, why delay? A lot of cost, possible waste, general faff for little or no impact.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I’m not worried about the negligible effect on the normal golfer, my issue with this is the minimal effect it will have on the Pro game. If there is really an ecological need or sporting integrity or whatever they state, why do so little? If it is the first of a series, why delay? A lot of cost, possible waste, general faff for little or no impact.
Agreed. At that level they should have gone big or not at all. This is tinkering, no more than that.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think we can take it that the golf world is fine with the roll back, when a nano second later, its only interest is one golfer from the very top of the game signing a new employment contract.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Agreed. At that level they should have gone big or not at all. This is tinkering, no more than that.
my belief is this is just a hold on the current distances. This buys them a bit more time to do more research into clubheads etc.
they can obviously see the college systems with golfers swinging harder and harder, and this just puts a little stop in what can be achieved.

its not really a roll back, as such…more of a holding pattern.

give it a few more years and I imagine driver heads will be adjusted in some way

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Forgetting the pros for a second. If they roll this down to us amateurs too I only see a benefit at my club. The tees tend to be at the back of the boxes these day. It means they’ll just move the tees forward 10 yards if needed.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Watched more urban golf, really enjoying them

When you see the numbers on this you can see that the driver could be tuned to reacquire the distance loss via the spin and trajectory.
The compression has to change to get the target requirement ( I cannot remember exactly but it’s a ball speed vs distance number) .. and seeing as compression is related to energy input then it’s going to be a case of saturation. Meaning if you hit it too hard you get no benefit, you have to wind back.
So I can only conclude that amateurs with less than 110mph swing speed will be unaffected… so everyone getting excited must be swinging over 110mph !! (A forum full of golfing gods!!!)

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Further on he feels that club size should be reduced. In this case bifurcation could be implemented.. it’s already in place they get the top percentile golden nominal tolerance stuff .. you and I get the variation in the build yield.
However and this where it get controversial and some on here will really be unhappy is if we reduce the heads back to 190cc the level of forgiveness will be limited and we will see a reduction in shaft length. This won’t be as difficult as persimon or the great big Bertha era .. the engineers know more and have advanced manufacturing techniques to deliver significant moi differences to these historic clubs.
Yes the game gets a little harder but it also becomes more fun.

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
When you see the numbers on this you can see that the driver could be tuned to reacquire the distance loss via the spin and trajectory.
And that is exactly (I believe) what Callaway did with the Paradyme driver. Only problem with less backspin was of course dispersion :rolleyes:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Further on he feels that club size should be reduced. In this case bifurcation could be implemented.. it’s already in place they get the top percentile golden nominal tolerance stuff .. you and I get the variation in the build yield.
However and this where it get controversial and some on here will really be unhappy is if we reduce the heads back to 190cc the level of forgiveness will be limited and we will see a reduction in shaft length. This won’t be as difficult as persimon or the great big Bertha era .. the engineers know more and have advanced manufacturing techniques to deliver significant moi differences to these historic clubs.
Yes the game gets a little harder but it also becomes more fun.

I find this a bit amusing.

How many players say they hit a 3 wood better than a driver? These players will really not see any difference.

I am of an age to remember when a driver had the size of head of todays 3 wood.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Forgetting the pros for a second. If they roll this down to us amateurs too I only see a benefit at my club. The tees tend to be at the back of the boxes these day. It means they’ll just move the tees forward 10 yards if needed.
You can only do that up to 100yds total I belive.

or it becomes NQ.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I find this a bit amusing.

How many players say they hit a 3 wood better than a driver? These players will really not see any difference.

I am of an age to remember when a driver had the size of head of todays 3 wood.
Still got a Mizuno Persimmon driver.
Might be making a comeback 🤣

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It’s more like 4-500 yards I think but there’s plenty of options for courses to move forward and get resized than move back to where they don’t have space.
Not sure about 500yds.
You can’t have tee markers more than 10 yds from the measured marker up to a max of 100yds total.

prepared to be proved wrong.

wjemather

Visit site
Not sure about 500yds.
You can’t have tee markers more than 10 yds from the measured marker up to a max of 100yds total.

prepared to be proved wrong.
You are correct - per the rules of handicapping, 100 yards is the maximum total variance from the measured and rated course, and each hole should be within 10 yards of the measured point.

However, it's worth noting that the measured point must be a minimum of 4 yards from the back of the teeing area, so could be in front of the permanent distance marker.